Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-07-2014, 12:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Watermark

Hello all!
I am curious to know, what are your opinions on watermarking photos for displaying on social media?
Also, could anyone help me with potential designs? I want something that is a little more... unique over the "©20xx Crary Photography"
Software is no issue, I just would like some kind of idea as to what to maybe use, and possibly how to create it?
Thanks all!

01-07-2014, 04:32 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I've had this question in my head for a long time and I'm still not sure if it is worth watermarking photos.

I've came up with these arguments.

Against:

1. Usually it spoils the photo.
2. Watermarks are easily removed, so they really doesn't save your photos from thefts.
3. Watermarking requires additional time.
4. Jonas Peterson ( Melbourne Wedding Photographer | Jonas Peterson | Australia | Worldwide ) doesn't watermark his photos, why should I?

For:
1. Watermarks work kind of like adverts. A person sees a photo on the net --> watermark shows who is the author (supposed it is not removed) --> you might get more work.

That is all I have in mind for now
01-07-2014, 05:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If you choose to use watermarks, I would not go over the top. I find that when browsing pictures, my eyes tend to slide over the ones that have major styling, particularly large borders, and if the watermark itself is overly fancy or not transparent enough, then at first glance I see the watermark but not the picture. (And get annoyed about it.)
01-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am not thinking of doing anything larger than what I already use, but something with some kind of logo or design (possibly?) I like the watermark for advertising, and I usually have my photos (that I put online) digimarked.

You can look at my facebook page and see more or less what I already use: I don't plan on making it any bigger or altering the placement.
https://www.facebook.com/CraryPhotography?fref=ts

01-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Watermarking is advertising and branding and not any kind of anti-theft device.
The size of your credit line on your shots is fine, but I'd suggest maybe develop a logo of sorts, just for fun. And branding.

M
01-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
I am not thinking of doing anything larger than what I already use, but something with some kind of logo or design (possibly?) I like the watermark for advertising, and I usually have my photos (that I put online) digimarked.

You can look at my facebook page and see more or less what I already use: I don't plan on making it any bigger or altering the placement.
https://www.facebook.com/CraryPhotography?fref=ts
IMO, the watermark that you use is way too big. Also, the font you chose isn't good, just cheap looking.

Take a look at this photo for example

https://www.google.lt/search?q=redijus&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=is...72%3B930%3B620

The watermark is nice and simple but with a quality look.
01-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Watermarking is advertising and branding and not any kind of anti-theft device.
The size of your credit line on your shots is fine, but I'd suggest maybe develop a logo of sorts, just for fun. And branding.

M
That is the thing, I am just not sure what to use as a logo.

01-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #8
Inactive Account

That is the thing, I am just not sure what to use as a logo.
Why bother? It will probably be too small to see anyway.

If you have a cool sounding name, that is probably the best solution
01-07-2014, 11:54 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am just not sure what to use as a logo
Allow the same part of your creative brain that makes good photographs unleash itself for a logo. Give yourself some time to "not-think" it. Enlist friends. Or just hire a graphic artist who can work with your name and typefaces and all that. Perhaps you can trade photos for a logo. Or reinvent your photography brand or business name. Life's too short not to have fun with one's art.

M
01-07-2014, 04:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What do you think about that?
Attached Images

01-07-2014, 04:22 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Better than your current one!

Even though, I find it still too big and distracting.
Choose one font in my opinion. The one your chose for "photography" is definitely better looking than the one you chose for your name.
Try using grey'ish look instead of white, maybe lowering the opacity a little.
Also, how about just Crary (with a copyright symbol)., or Crary Photo/Photography etc?

I believe that you could do better, what do you think?

Last edited by Apapukas; 01-07-2014 at 04:29 PM.
01-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What do you think about that?
An improvement.
I think the sizing is fine, maybe a bit small. I see nothing wrong with a little larger watermark as you are advertising really. If someone want to see it without, let them pay.

Contrasting two typefaces can work; I'm not a big fan of using a fake handwriting typeface for a proper name--too blatant. I think the top words and the bottom word(s) should be justified in general, but I'm sure there are exceptions.

I'd allow myself to develop about five alternatives and then show them to lots of eyeballs for their quick takes. Be patient.

M
01-07-2014, 06:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't really care for the font option myself, but Adobe doesn't really have all that many to choose from.

What do you mean exactly by
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
top words and the bottom word(s) should be justified in general, but I'm sure there are exceptions
?
01-07-2014, 06:39 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't really care for the font option myself, but Adobe doesn't really have all that many to choose from. .

What do you mean exactly by ?
Actually you can use typefaces from any application offering more choices for your finished design and then convert the text to a graphic.

If you have John Doe on top and Photography on bottom, they often look better if the left and right sides of both levels are evenly spaced.

M
01-07-2014, 07:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is the same thing, I just altered the typefaces a bit. I will also likely change the colour so it shows up well on B&W photos with brighter areas in the lower corner.
Attached Images