Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Directory Comparison Utility

I'm looking for a Windows directory comparison utility, but it needs to be able to ignore the file extension.

For example say I have 1000 .PEF files in a directory, and 370 .JPG files in a Processed sub-directory. I'd like to be able to see all, similar & dissimilar files in these two directories, based only on filename, regardless of their extension.

So, IMG0001.PEF & IMG0001.JPG are seen as a match (needs to have options to ignore dates and sizes too).

The ability to tag and copy/move/delete/print a list of similar/dissimilar filenames would be nice.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 01-10-2014 at 07:54 PM.
01-11-2014, 02:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
So, IMG0001.PEF & IMG0001.JPG are seen as a match
Not sure whether I am stating the obvious or is even relevant.
In Win Explorer if you type (top right Corner "search computer")IMG0001.* all files with this name in the main title regardless of their extension will be listed, will they not ? And if you type IMG000*.* all files with IMG000 in their name with running numbers you gave them will be listed.

The old DOS wild card search string is still very useful. You can place the asterisk * anywhere in the search string. For example, pictures which I want to keep after RAW conversion I re-name, say, Hanoi Waterpuppets 01 IMG7202.tif and if I have 15 different ones I number them Waterpuppets 01 to 15 followed by the IMG numbers. By doing this I preserve the original IMG number. Later when I want to pull out pictures of waterpuppets I put in the search string *waterpuppets*.* and all the waterpuppests picture are found including those I took in Saigon (if I had named them such) and all the original IMG Raw files will be listed as well no matter where they live on the disk.

You can tailor the wild card * to suit you.

Now, as I said I am not sure if I state the obvious and you already know all this or if this is of any help, or perhaps you have just forgotten about this.

Geetings
01-11-2014, 02:51 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Schraubstock, I'm aware of how to use DOS wildcards. But what if I just want to see out of the 1000 PEF files, if 370 JPEGs have so far been produced, which 630 PEFs have not yet been converted?

Dan.
01-11-2014, 03:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't know if I undertand right what you need, but you can try Faststone Viewer. It's free

01-11-2014, 03:17 AM   #5
NKK
Inactive Account

Not pretty - but something like dir *.pef >pef.txt and then dir *.jpg > jpg.txt. Then import in Excel, search and replace to remove .jpg and .pef extensions and then sort the 2 columns by name and run a compare where you colorcode the differences?
01-11-2014, 03:20 AM   #6
NKK
Inactive Account

You could also compare the 2 files with notepad++ with the compare plugin if you do not have Excel.

Edit: I'm referring to the 2 files i talk about in previous post

Last edited by NKK; 01-11-2014 at 04:46 AM.
01-11-2014, 04:15 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Schraubstock, I'm aware of how to use DOS wildcards. But what if I just want to see out of the 1000 PEF files, if 370 JPEGs have so far been produced, which 630 PEFs have not yet been converted?

Dan.
Hi Dan
Could you not rename the unconverted files with a unique identifier ?
I don't quite know how else a program can know which files you have worked on and which you have not.

Greetings

01-11-2014, 05:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
I don't quite know how else a program can know which files you have worked on and which you have not.
The way I can know is that I'm not renaming them, only the format (and file extension) is changing. So IMG0001.PEF in C:\Images\20131207, when I convert it in my raw converter, produces a JPEG file called IMG0001.JPG in the sub-directory "processed" i.e C:\Images\20131207\processed\IMG0001.JPG. So all I'm looking for is a directory comparison program with a 2-columm display, in this example C:\Images\20131207 and C:\Images\20131207\processed. When you press on the All/Similar/Different radio buttons at the top, the column displays change. You have Match By option tickboxes e.g. full filename (inc ext), filename (ignore ext), size, date.

The idea is I want to be easily able to see which PEF files I've not yet converted in my raw converter, i.e. produced developed JPEG versions.

Or it may be that, when I've later reviewed the outputted JPEGs, I decide some are unsuitable for my project and I delete them. With a directory comparison tool, I could then easily identify which PEFs do not have matching JPEGs. In this case, the idea would be to then tag the unmatched PEFs (i.e. the ones for which the JPEGs have already been deleted) and then go back and delete these PEFs as well.

Nothing difficult about this. I'm surprised it's not available.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 01-11-2014 at 05:25 AM.
01-11-2014, 07:15 AM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Try Directory Opus. I've used it as an Explorer replacement for years. It has a directory compare function.
01-11-2014, 09:00 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Try Directory Report.
01-17-2014, 04:22 PM   #11
Pentaxian

The way I can know is that I'm not renaming them, only the format (and file extension) is changing. So IMG0001.PEF in C:\Images\20131207, when I convert it in my raw converter, produces a JPEG file called IMG0001.JPG in the sub-directory "processed" i.e C:\Images\20131207\processed\IMG0001.JPG. So all I'm looking for is a directory comparison program with a 2-columm display, in this example C:\Images\20131207 and C:\Images\20131207\processed. When you press on the All/Similar/Different radio buttons at the top, the column displays change. You have Match By option tickboxes e.g. full filename (inc ext), filename (ignore ext), size, date.

The idea is I want to be easily able to see which PEF files I've not yet converted in my raw converter, i.e. produced developed JPEG versions.

Or it may be that, when I've later reviewed the outputted JPEGs, I decide some are unsuitable for my project and I delete them. With a directory comparison tool, I could then easily identify which PEFs do not have matching JPEGs. In this case, the idea would be to then tag the unmatched PEFs (i.e. the ones for which the JPEGs have already been deleted) and then go back and delete these PEFs as well.

Nothing difficult about this. I'm surprised it's not available.

Dan.
This is actually pretty easy to do from the built-in Windows command prompt.

Suppose your have a directory named "mypics" with the PEF files, and "mypics\Processed" that contains your JPG files.

Pop open a Command Prompt window and make sure your current (working) directory is "mypics". Then:

Code:
for %i in (*.pef) do if not exist .\temp\%~ni.jpg echo %i >>unprocessed.txt
This assumes that your raws are all named FILENAME.PEF and your jpegs are all named FILENAME.JPG, with the same FILENAME portion.

You will end up with a file named "unprocessed.txt" that contains just the names of the PEF files that don't have JPG counterparts.

If you want a list of PEF files that do have jpeg counterparts, just remove the "NOT" from the command above:

Code:
for %i in (*.pef) do if exist .\temp\%~ni.jpg echo %i >>processed.txt
In both cases, be aware that the "unprocessed.txt" and "processed.txt" lists are appended to for every run; if you want a fresh list, delete any old copy that might be hanging around from a prior run.
01-17-2014, 04:40 PM   #12

Try Duplicate Cleaner by Digital Volcano. This is good if you want to find duplicates no matter what they are called.

Duplicate Cleaner - Find Duplicate Files

or if you want to find "similar" file try Fast Duplicate Finder

Free Duplicate File Finder - Find & Delete Duplicate Files, Remove Duplicates, iTunes, iPod, Images, Mp3, Pictures, Songs

Both do a binary comparison of files but Fast Duplicate File Finder also has an algorithm to determine similarity. The freeware version has limitations on features and the number of duplicates it will find at a time. Both will search for duplicates by name only regardless of extension and content. So "README.HTML" and "README.TXT" and "README.DOC" would be considered dups.

Duplicate Cleaner has a nice selection assistant to help you select the files you want to move or delete.

Last edited by Not a Number; 01-17-2014 at 04:55 PM.
01-18-2014, 04:17 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Dan

If Quicksand's command prompt entry works for you, you could write this as a batch file and put a shortcut for it on your desktop.

Greetings