Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2008, 06:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Where do you host your portfolio and why?

I'm looking at places to host a portfolio. I already host a bunch of pics on Photobucket, but I'd like to start posting some of my better pics on one of the pay sites. The two sites that come to mind are PBase and SmugMug. Of the two I'm leaning towards using SmugMug because of the ability to customize and use my own domain name.

If you prefer one of these sites over the other, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Are there any other site out there better than these two sites?

04-11-2008, 05:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I used to host my own until the damn host provider screwed me for a $100.
Now I use Picassa for albums and the free photobucket. With Picassa I can't insert an image in a thread but with Photobucket I CAN.
04-11-2008, 06:08 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I like Pbase. Have used it for a few years. Easy to upload, easy to maintain and add galleries. Does everything I need (or want) it to do and the price is not too bad. YMMV.
04-11-2008, 06:38 AM   #4
Ed in GA

Photobucket.com, But, a word of caution

I use Photobucket.com for what photos I want on-line.

If you choose photobucket.com, be cautious when you set up the account.

At the end of setting up your account, it will bring up a screen that says "One Last Thing" and it will ask for your cell phone number.

Use whatever option there is to get out of that screen because, if you give them your cell phone #, it will sign you up for a "free gift" service and your phone will be charged a minimum of $9.99 per month for this scam.

Other than tha caution, Photobucket.com is a good site.

Hope that helped,

Ed

04-11-2008, 10:41 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have photos all over the place. I have a bunch at Flickr, some at .Mac, and I have a web domain hosted by GoDaddy. As far as cost goes, Flickr is the cheapest at $25 per year for unlimited photos and bandwidth. GoDaddy is more, but still less than others I looked at. I spend about $50 per year for my domain name, 10 GB of space, 300 GB of bandwidth, and more email addresses than I can shake a stick at. I looked at SmugMug, but it was more than I wanted to pay for the service I wanted.
04-11-2008, 11:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I host it on Flickr, mainly out of simplicity, until I get enough of a portfolio together to build my own site and then I will host it myself, since afterall I do web design and hosting.
:: THE COQUERAN DESIGN STUDIO :: <-- My first shameless plug.
04-11-2008, 01:15 PM   #7
Inactive Account

i started building my own site but didn't get it finished due to work taking over. still, when i do it will be far better than flickr or any of the other alternatives - i tried several of these and they didn't do what i wanted.

i have a friend who isn't very webdesign literate and used simple viewer to create his own site:
SimpleViewer Download

04-11-2008, 04:11 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Much of my stuff is up on www.harphampix.com It is free,no ads,no banners,little drama. Rest is up on flikr,and I have just started posting to Shutterpoint..
04-12-2008, 12:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

My predominant hosting site is actually pbase.

Just like Davemsn, I got images everywhere in deviantart, flickr and rest of the sites that I do not even remember. lol
04-12-2008, 02:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I use Clikpic.com, easy to setup, reasonably priced and the option of selling via Paypal if you want

simon
04-12-2008, 02:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

i use godaddy as a host I get:

Plan Features
• 10 GB Space
• 300 GB Bandwidth a month
• 100 Email Accounts
• FREE! Software
• 10 MySQL Databases
• 50 Email Forwards
• Forums, Blogging, Photos
• Go Daddy Hosting Connection
• $20 Google® AdWords® Credit1
• $25 Microsoft® adCenter Credit†
• FREE! Google Webmaster Tools

For about £2 a month and for my website i use a program called rapidweaver which costs £26.32

much better than paying £35 a month for clickpic etc thats my view I also use red bubble to sell prints etc which is free because they have a base charge so they take that and give you the profit.
04-12-2008, 09:00 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Ed, how do you like Rapidweaver? I have been looking for a new app for managing my site (GoDaddy) and that is one of the apps I have looked at.
04-12-2008, 10:23 AM   #13
SouthShoreRob

Highly recommend SmugMug. Like you said, great interface and highly customizable. See here:

South Shore Snapshots- powered by SmugMug
04-15-2008, 07:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. At this point, I'm leaning towards PBase Even though Smugmug's Power User level offers a few more features, it's also a little more expensive. I can get 1GB of storage with PBase for less than a Smugmug Power User account.
04-17-2008, 09:49 AM   #15
Forum Member

I use squarespace.com to host my website and portfolio. After years of creating websites by hand I wanted something simpler that I didn't need to worry about coding. I love Squarespace; their interface is easy, the sites look good and their support has been great so far.