Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I learn from everyone on this forum. I try to pass on what I have learned when I can. Thanks for the thanks.

01-20-2014, 05:23 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
OK, I've made my choice and ordered Lightroom 5 and "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter)" book by Scott Kelby
One piece of advice, don't just jump in. Read the sections on setup first and figure out how you want things to work. LR id very configurable with lots of settings that can be changed. Most things can be changed after but some are a real pain. So take a deep breath and think about your setup before you start importing a large number of pictures.

For example, if you have a template constructed for import it can add your copyright info as well as a whole bunch of other things, such as keywords. Yes, you can do that later but its easier to do it on import. Also, your import develop template should be setup, especially if you are shooting RAW. This can be done later and applied though.

Also, think about your picture organization. Lightroom works best if all pictures are under a single directory. Actually Lightroom doesn't care but if you ever move to another computer then you will really care. Lightroom is very easy to move, just install on new computer, move over your pictures, copy over the catalog and relink, very easy. If the pictures are all in one place, if they are not then the work increases dramatically. Mine are under Pictures>"year">"day" So pictures from today are all in a folder structure like this: pictures\2014\2014.01.14\ It does not matter what your system looks like, whatever works for you but keep them all under one directory if you can. LR can then import new files to that directory structure automatically, creating any directories it needs as goes.

Also, think about keywords, if your pictures currently have any keywords or 'tags' those will get imported into LR, and you will most likely have a complete mess in the keyword list. Ask my wife, she did that and imported 500 or so keywords that are not organized. She has spent hours getting it into shape.
01-20-2014, 11:31 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am on a LR3.6 (recently changed to LR4 because of upgrade to Win8) and PSE10 workflow.

Unfortunately, I'd have to say that you got to spend the money to get both LR5 and PSE12.

PSE10 onwards supports proper layers and masks which to me is a key tool for more complex editing. (eg. blending; specific sharpening/lightening/darkening/etc)

I seem to prefer LR3.6 to LR4 since the LR4 exposure controls are unfamiliar to me (hopefully I get to grasp with this)
LR4 also seems to be a memory hog which disagrees with my 4GB PC on Win8 (32bit) (long story on the 32bit and 4GB... )
Don't know about LR5
LR in itself is a very good RAW editor/converter for me over Silkypix/Pentax DCU/RAW converters of other cameras.
01-21-2014, 01:35 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I would say, get LR. and if you realize you do need layers or other things that LR cannot do, wait for black friday sales and get PSP, you always get good deals with corel during black friday

01-21-2014, 04:57 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Dont rule out Corel. They make a fine product, and from personal experience, its always been more stable than photoshop. I use both photoshop elements 10 ($5 at my local big box store to get rid of it) and paintshop pro x5. Paintshop has a few features elements didnt have, such as hdr processing.

-john
01-22-2014, 04:41 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CSXFAN Quote
Dont rule out Corel. <snip> Paintshop has a few features elements didnt have, such as hdr processing.

-john
That's odd. Even my PSElements 8 has an HDR processor. Not powerful or adaptable, but really easy. Just like a panorama stitcher, almost 1 click.
01-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #22
Inactive Account

I just double checked, and elements 10 didnt have hdr that i could find. i did download some hdr scripts, but they were of the "moch" hdr effect.

-john

01-23-2014, 03:23 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CSXFAN Quote
I just double checked, and elements 10 didnt have hdr that i could find. i did download some hdr scripts, but they were of the "moch" hdr effect.

-john
PSE10 does have HDR.

But its so basic that I won't recommend it,
01-23-2014, 04:36 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
PSE10 does have HDR.

But its so basic that I won't recommend it,
That's the way it is in PSE 8 also. Give it three photos at -1, 0, +1 (or other settings), wave your magic mouse button once and it gives a basic HDR. Personally, I'm not the biggest HDR fan anyway so that works for me. Based on my very basic testing while learning, my K5ii does a similar job to PSE by itself.
01-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Keep in mind that Adobe is headed the subscription model in the future. I'm on the 1 year promo Creative Cloud subscription (Lightroom and Photoshop). Still trying to determine if I use both products enough to justify the monthly subscription cost. They say they won't go that way with Lighroom, but I'm not convinced since they were hinting at a Lightroom subscription model for the iPad.
01-31-2014, 05:21 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Original Poster
From Adobe's point of view, the subscription concept is continued and continuing sales. Once they've got us hooked into the creative cloud concept, they will have guaranteed income every month and we, photographers, will have another out of control utility cost to deal with every month. If you're a hard working pro photographer, that cost can just be built into your costs and passed onto your customers. If you're an avid hobbyist, well maybe the cost of film and developing and printing wasn't really too bad.
02-01-2014, 10:03 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The other solution is to use Lightroom at the latest available non subscription level and GIMP for the tricky bits. I think that is how I will go.
02-01-2014, 10:09 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Didn't Adobe say that Lightroom would remain non subscription?
02-01-2014, 11:14 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It isn't subscription yet, no. It may never be, and that's fine, I'll upgrade as money comes available, but I think CS will become GIMP in many photographically inclined households.
02-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 has become a very sophisticated layers-based editing package in a simple user interface. It will run off Lightroom 5, and Photoshop plug-ins will work with it also. One reviewer suggested that, for still photographers, Elements 12 now does 90 per cent of what PSCC will do, but that may be a bit high. Still, PSE12 in conjunction with Lightroom 5 is a dynamite combination, and unless you are really into graphics design, PSE 12, because it adds layer capability to LR5, may well be all that most us need. I would recommend it strongly to the OP.