Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2014, 06:33 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
PSE12 in conjunction with Lightroom 5 is a dynamite combination, and unless you are really into graphics design, PSE 12, because it adds layer capability to LR5, may well be all that most us need. I would recommend it strongly to the OP.
Other than cataloguing, what does LR5 add to PS12?

02-01-2014, 09:06 PM   #32
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will throw in another vote for GIMP. It's not quite as user-friendly as photoshop, but it works great for simple stuff (Levels, curves, desaturate, etc.) and it is free, so if you don't like it, you didn't lose anything.

One downside is that it can't directly handle raw files, so you will need to process first if you shoot raw. I typically open in Silkypix to make sure white balance is correct and to pick the best color profile, then develop to jpg and finish in GIMP.

I tried Lightroom, but didn't like how different everything was. I also tried PS Elements, and would probably go with that if I was going to pay.
02-01-2014, 09:23 PM   #33
Site Supporter

I am currently using a trial of LR5 and trying to like it, but I just really don't like doing very much to pictures in any of the programs I've tried.
02-01-2014, 10:40 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
LR enforces a managed workflow. It's a more efficient and whole solution. You can templatize (presets) specific activities. Technically LR has a little more functionality than the version of ACR that Elements offers. I find LR printing to be easier and better too. There are a few pixel-level fixes and magic that Photoshop does that LR does not do, but I only use Photoshop under 10% of the time these days. The asset management piece is very strong, but it depends how many images you need to manage and what you do with them.

M

02-01-2014, 11:27 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Key to Lightroom is templates and presets. It quickly becomes tiresome and tedious to process hundreds of files individually, but setup correctly it is just a few clicks. But you have to do the work to get things set up first.

If you only work on a few images and don`t care about keywording and retrieving images then Lightroom is probably overkill. But if you process groups of shots from events, trips, model shoots, then it is the way to go.
02-11-2014, 05:24 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
For me, nothing much. It's what PS12 adds to Lightroom: layers. If it weren't PSE12, I would have to use onOne Perfect Layers I suppose. But I gotta have layers. Once I got onto them, I can't live without them.