Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am being asked for "Full Resolution" images

Someone asked me if I could provide them with a couple of my "best" images in "full resolution" for a small local "art show".
Funny how it came about: they (the small art gallery) got my name from the owner of the photography store where I have all of my prints done when they saw some of my pics being printed.
They will pay for the printing and I get to keep all of my copyrights -- the print size would be around 16" X 24" .

I shoot almost exclusively with my K5, RAW files.

How does this work? I mean: how do I provide them with a "full res" file?

Thanks in advance for any info on that subject. No rush ... it is for the middle of March 2014.

JP

01-22-2014, 01:08 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Just do your edits, save them and there you go. Just save them at highest quality when you save as jpeg or whatever you send them for print in.
01-22-2014, 01:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I assume either the full 4928 x 3264 jpeg or TIFF output from RAW is sufficient for their use. That comes out to about 204 DPI, which is a reasonable output.
01-22-2014, 01:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Did they mention any specific format such TIFF for example? I know in you print in bigger format, it's best to go with TIFF as it's lossless.

Also, make sure they credit you by mentionning your name. I'm assuming they are not paying you anything right?

01-22-2014, 01:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Erron Quote
Just do your edits, save them and there you go. Just save them at highest quality when you save as jpeg or whatever you send them for print in.
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I assume either the full 4928 x 3264 jpeg or TIFF output from RAW is sufficient for their use. That comes out to about 204 DPI, which is a reasonable output.
Thanks for the replies!
The guy at the print shop says that "they" often ask for 300dpi ... what should I do then? Do I have to tweak the "image size" (options in CS5)?

JP
01-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
How does this work? I mean: how do I provide them with a "full res" file?
Do your best crop and PP and export as TIFF. That will provide maximum resolution. You may want to inquire what color space they prefer for output. Let "them" decide what "they" want to do regarding print dimensions and output DPI.

Steve
01-22-2014, 01:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the replies!
The guy at the print shop says that "they" often ask for 300dpi ... what should I do then? Do I have to tweak the "image size" (options in CS5)?

JP
If they asked for full resolution with the intent to print at 16x24, you could let them know your file resolution (16MP) will only allow 200DPI at that size. They may be aware of that already, but it's something to check. I don't think upscaling the image to a resolution that could provide 300DPI would be a good idea, as it doesn't really gain anything vs printing at 200DPI - I may be wrong, as I don't usually print.

Steve brings up a good point about color space. That is a important question to have answered.

01-22-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Unless you know the printer is meticulous and careful about checking color spaces and all, you provide a file saved at 100% JPEG quality using the sRGB color space.

200dpi is fine for printing on most printers. It's only when you fall below about 180 dpi that you may begin to have some issues. Only in that case should you consider up-scaling the image yourself. If you do so, consider using either OnOne's Perfect Resize, or the latest version of Photoshop.
01-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
They will pay for the printing and I get to keep all of my copyrights -- the print size would be around 16" X 24" .
And, who owns the prints, and the income from print sales?
01-22-2014, 02:11 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
And, who owns the prints, and the income from print sales?
Related is a caution to be sure and include your copyright information in the EXIF for the image files you give them.

Steve
01-22-2014, 02:11 PM   #11
Pentaxian

The guy at the print shop says that "they" often ask for 300dpi ... what should I do then?
Tell him to come look at the numerous posts here where people say their 30 inch prints from 16MP files are excellent and more than good enough.
01-22-2014, 02:29 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Do your best crop and PP and export as TIFF. That will provide maximum resolution. You may want to inquire what color space they prefer for output. Let "them" decide what "they" want to do regarding print dimensions and output DPI.

Steve
Good idea.
Thanks for the info .
JP
01-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #13
Pentaxian

If you get the printer color profile from them with paper type, you can soft proof the image in Photoshop. Then you can either attach the profile to the file or convert the image to that color space (depending on how the printer is configured). If you convert the file to that printer profile, you can save as 100% quality JPG as long as they will not edit it any further.
01-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Did they mention any specific format such TIFF for example? I know in you print in bigger format, it's best to go with TIFF as it's lossless.

Also, make sure they credit you by mentionning your name. I'm assuming they are not paying you anything right?
No mention of specific format.
I'll probably go with TIFF files and let them deal with that.
Not getting paid but they will give me "credit" with a "name plate" (they said).

JP
01-24-2014, 01:00 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the info guys!
I have given them 4 TIFF files and the copyright data are embedded in the EXIF.

We'll look forward to the display.

Cheers!

JP