Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2008, 04:55 AM   #1
Forum Member

Accidental delete! Help!

While trying to navigate some menus in the dark, I looked down and saw a delete in progress. Turns out I accidentally did a delete all.
I flipped the protect switch on the card immediately after the error.
I've tried undelete plus and Zero Assumption with no luck. Camera was a K100D with latest firmware.
Am I S.O.L?

04-13-2008, 05:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Look for and download program from SmartUndelete.com it might help.
04-13-2008, 06:17 AM   #3

I've used programs called SoftPerfect File Recovery and Photorec with good luck in similar situations. Good luck.
04-13-2008, 10:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you find a sandisc extreme III with the rescuepro disc included like I did you will have the software and a great card to boot! (Mine even had capture one free with it)

04-13-2008, 10:48 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JasonS Quote
While trying to navigate some menus in the dark, I looked down and saw a delete in progress. Turns out I accidentally did a delete all.
I've tried undelete plus and Zero Assumption with no luck. Camera was a K100D with latest firmware.
Am I S.O.L?
You did exactly the right thing. Assuming it didn't actually do an accidental "format" and it was just a delete, then nothing is gone. A "delete" only marks the space on disk for overwriting, it doesn't actually delete anything as you might expect.

Therefor, if you haven't done so already, download any one of the available free "un-delete" or file recovery softwares to get all your files back with almost no hastle. I'd recommend a specific software, but frankly, in my exerience, they all do the same thing, and they all work just as well. It's really a pretty simple operation.

By the way, bravo on the flipping the protect switch on the card. That was great thinking. It pretty much gurantees you'll be getting back all your data!
04-13-2008, 03:52 PM   #6
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I imported my trip to the NYC Auto Show '08 wrong into Lightroom and couldn't export them, and had deleted the images off the card. Luckily I hadn't taken more images, and my computer has a card reader in it. I downloaded "Undelete Plus" from either winfiles.com or download.com or cnet.com, a great no-frills and free undelete progi, plugged the card into the computer, and I was back in business. I don't know if you use Windows or not, but if so, I highly recommend it.
04-13-2008, 06:35 PM   #7
Forum Member

I've had success with Photorec

QuoteOriginally posted by JasonS Quote
Am I S.O.L?
I've also had images accidentally deleted and recovered all of them with PhotoRec.

Here's a link to the official site: PhotoRec - CGSecurity

It works automatically on different file systems. It's multi-platform (I used it under Linux). And it recognizes tons of file formats (including PEF and JPEG).

With the version I used there was no specific PEF file option (to inform the program which file type I wanted recovered). But that was because it identified PEF files as TIFF. I.e. the TIFF option successfully directed the program to search for the PEF files on my SD card (loaded in the camera).

Cheers,

04-15-2008, 05:18 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slocant Quote
I've also had images accidentally deleted and recovered all of them with PhotoRec.

Here's a link to the official site: PhotoRec - CGSecurity
And the winner is!

ThankYOU! Recovered all of my photos. Some of them were keepers. I'm very happy to have them.
I was getting pretty worried after 3 different commercial products failed. But the FREE open source one worked. Amazing how often thats the case.