Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Red River discontinuing 80 pound Polar Pearl Metallic Plus :(

They're discontinuing my favorite photo paper
The 66 pound will still be sold, so it's not the end of the world, but the 80 pound just felt better.

What's left of it is 20% off. 80lb. Polar Pearl Metallic Plus - 300gsm metallic inkjet photo paper with a unique photo lab metallic finish for inkjet printers

If you haven't tried it, grab a sample (in either weight), or a pack of 8.5x11 (it's good in smaller sizes, but 8x10+ is where it really starts to look amazing, to me).
The first photo I printed with it was one of our wedding photos (we were married on the staircase of the old Studebaker family mansion, Tippecanoe Place, and the photographer had her sit on the landing where the ceremony took place, with her dress spread out, and took this from above), and even from a distance at 8.5x11, it still just *glows*.

And this night shot I took of the USS Constellation in Baltimore looks incredible printed on it -- the lines on the ship look like they're etched in chrome.

It's not perfect for everything (black and whites without harsh contrast seem to look much better on one of their art papers, for example), but almost everything I've printed on it looks good.

When I displayed my work at a small, local art fair for the first time a few months ago, I sold a 16x20 and an 8.5x11 (total: about $120). The only other photographer who had any sales said he'd sold one 5x7 for $6. (it was $20 to set up a booth). And so many people took the time to look at the photos I had displayed, it was really good for my ego… a lot of them commented on the paper catching their eye. (I should note - the 16x20 was printed by Nation's Photo Lab on whatever metallic paper they use -- so I'm not just saying try the red river stuff… try *any* metallic photo paper. The news about Red River just prompted me to post what ended up being a much more longwinded message than I intended to.)

02-07-2014, 02:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Haven't used that paper, but sounds like you've produced some great results with it (love the photos ) That's a shame they're discontinuing it
02-08-2014, 04:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I ordered some samples from MPix before setting them up on my site. Their "polar pearl" (which looks metallic to me) was stunning.

I haven't played with the sampler pack I got from Red River yet. I usually do 8x12 so printing at home doesn't work out on my little printer; besides it's cheaper from Costco. Now if only Costco carried metallic paper...
02-09-2014, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I believe mpix uses red river paper.

You might check out nations photo if you're looking for an alternative. I've been very happy with the prints from there.

02-12-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
I believe mpix uses red river paper.

You might check out nations photo if you're looking for an alternative. I've been very happy with the prints from there.
Thanks for the info on nations photo. Just checked out their site and might give them a try if I ever print something.
02-12-2014, 10:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

We bought a box of the 66lbs just before they came out with the 80lb, which annoyed us cause we'd rather have the heavier (although they say the color tone is different, so maybe not). Guess I'll never get to try it -- don't want to like it and have to drop it again later...
02-12-2014, 02:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
We bought a box of the 66lbs just before they came out with the 80lb, which annoyed us cause we'd rather have the heavier (although they say the color tone is different, so maybe not). Guess I'll never get to try it -- don't want to like it and have to drop it again later...
They say it's cooler. I can't tell the difference. They're both a touch on the cool-white side.

03-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
They say it's cooler. I can't tell the difference. They're both a touch on the cool-white side.
Have you tried the Breathing Color option.?
03-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Have you tried the Breathing Color option.?
Nope. Never heard of them. Looking now, but all they have in stock are rolls, and I have a Canon Pro9000 Mk2, which only does sheets