Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
great way to speed up photoshop

If you have a second internal hard drive (must be a 7200rpm or higher), put photoshop scratch disk location to this drive.
best would be if you could partition the second drive to have a partition especially for the scratch disk, preferably the first one.

doing this with a few other things lets us edit over 200mb files with only a computer with a 1.8G intel processor and only 512MB or ram.

my computer couldn't touch these file sizes before I done the above

cheers

randy

Last edited by slip; 01-22-2007 at 06:12 PM.
01-22-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's a great idea Randy. As an alternative, if you do not have a second drive, partition your single drive, and dedicate a partition exclusively to the scratch disk. It's not as good as your suggestion, but works in a pinch.
-Alan
01-23-2007, 03:57 PM   #3
roy
Inactive Account

i've always done this. i have it set to a drive that has 28gig available..
01-28-2007, 04:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

What does it use this scratch disc for?

01-29-2007, 04:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
What does it use this scratch disc for?
when you are using your computer, programs like windows and photoshop store information it wants to retreave quickly (back and forth) into a small memory on the processor. when it runs out of room there, it stores information on the next fastest thing, which is the memory that is installed on your computer. when it runs out of room there, it puts information on a "scratch disk".
A scratch disk is just a part of the hard drive that stores information for photoshop to access. hard drives are extremly slow compared to processor memory, and quit slow compared to the memory installed on your computer (on the motherboard)
the faster your hard drive is, or the faster that photoshop can access that extra information on the scratch disk, the faster photoshop will run.

the more computer memroy (RAM) you have, the less times that photoshop has to access the slow scratch disk. this is why people will say "you never have to much memory with photoshop"

hope this helps
if not, I will try to explain it better

this explaination is more about the concept then all the useless information that goes with it.
randy
04-23-2007, 10:46 PM   #6
Forum Member

Dear Slipchuck,

Thank you for the advice. PS also recommends the same. However I am not very computer savvy. I do have a partitioned HDD. Will it help to put the scratch disc there ? If so, may I request you to explain how to move the scratch disc to a the second half of the partioned hard drive. (I am using CS2.)

Thanking you for your time/help,

Bharat.
04-25-2007, 07:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Khukri Quote
Dear Slipchuck,

Thank you for the advice. PS also recommends the same. However I am not very computer savvy. I do have a partitioned HDD. Will it help to put the scratch disc there ? If so, may I request you to explain how to move the scratch disc to a the second half of the partioned hard drive. (I am using CS2.)

Thanking you for your time/help,

Bharat.
I tried to find information if that kind of set up will increase the speed of photoshop, but I couldn't....they all say a separate hard drive is the way to go.
to change where the scratch disk will be located, it is under preferences (file>preferences?scratch disks)

sorry I can't be much help

randy

04-26-2007, 02:04 AM   #8
Forum Member

As a practical matter, the scratch disk should be a separate hard drive rather than a partition on your main hard drive. The point is for PS to be able to read and write to two different locations without moving disk heads back and forth. The same trick is used on some database applications where you need to accesss two tables or data areas at the same time. Putting them on different hard drives means faster performance because less time is wasted moving the disk drive heads back and forth.
05-14-2007, 12:02 PM   #9

hmm.. by the way. first post !!!
just got my samsung 50-200. now k10 and kitbodies and i'm fit for fight now my question is about the size of the scratch disk. what size is "good" ? well thx !