Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2014, 11:47 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote

Btw, Dansamy, if the failed disk that contained your photos is still available and hasn't had data recorded on it since then, the data may still be recoverable.. lots of software out there as well as recovery benches that will open the disk and recover your data... even if it is a partial recovery it is better than none..

---------- Post added 02-16-14 at 12:45 AM ----------

Oh, yeah, and GO GREENBAY!!
It's a long story, but suffice it to say that proprietary backup software is a BAD idea.

02-16-2014, 02:45 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't trust Yahoo or Google as your data backup...

Besides, whatever sized images you load on Flickr (for instance) can be pulled down by anyone if they finesse the page source code.. And I don't think you get to control shared size anyways with the free account.
Yahoo/Flickr have never lost one of my images (47k images/9 years).

You can limit the maximum size downloadable with the free Flickr account. As with anything on the Internet - if anyone can access it then they can steal it. Flickr privacy limitations work well - there is no way of guessing the filename of the original image from that of the downsized copy.

RAID etc backup solutions are a bit of an overkill unless you require real time resilience.

Any backup is better than no backup
02-16-2014, 07:06 PM   #18
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Yahoo/Flickr have never lost one of my images (47k images/9 years).

You can limit the maximum size downloadable with the free Flickr account. As with anything on the Internet - if anyone can access it then they can steal it. Flickr privacy limitations work well - there is no way of guessing the filename of the original image from that of the downsized copy.

RAID etc backup solutions are a bit of an overkill unless you require real time resilience.

Any backup is better than no backup
The issue isn't so much them losing your images, but the fact that all of your work is floating out there in the cloud.. unsecured.. no thanks.

And, like you say, as with anything on the internet, if anyone can access them they will steal them.

RAID is part of a fine backup solution. But, as I mentioned initially, one would still need a secondary set of data stored out of their immediate area to be a true backup solution.

The RAID just provides redundancy to the data.. so if one disk crashes and burns, there is still a remaining disk with all of the data. But if a surge somehow spikes both disks, then still in trouble.. hence offsite copies are necessary.

If I HAD to float my RAWs in the cloud, I'd package and encrypt with a super long password. Password length is far more important than complexity (provided you're not using common, dictionary words in your long passwords) in cracking. Definitely wouldn't leave them open faced for the world to take.. unless that was my goal..

---------- Post added 02-16-14 at 08:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
It's a long story, but suffice it to say that proprietary backup software is a BAD idea.
Agreed. I suspect that story is sad too..
02-17-2014, 02:20 AM   #19
Pentaxian

The issue isn't so much them losing your images, but the fact that all of your work is floating out there in the cloud.. unsecured.. no thanks.
Zools (Amazon Glacier) uses AES-256 encryption which is good enough for me.

02-17-2014, 02:43 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee:

Agreed. I suspect that story is sad too..
It's a very unhappy story. My children's first & second trips to Disney. I have the photopass cd from Disney for both trips, but that's just what the Disney photographers got.
02-17-2014, 03:06 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I lost a ridiculous amount of photos, at the least the high res versions before I began storing larger files. I'm at a point now that I need to restructure.

At the moment my "current" working directory of photos is on my laptop which is backed up quietly and incrementally to my Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ (a few terrabytes of good old raid). Then I have a 2 TB USB drive that I push "over flow" onto, which houses everything from about 6mo to a year and backwards. This I backup manually, also to the ReadyNAS every month or so. Aside from these, I periodically create Picasa albums at a smaller resolution which back up to Google+ for specific "home" oriented" memory sets, stuff that is just personal. (Many of my travel photos and earlier were saved in their smaller versions by the existence of these albums after a drive crash a couple years ago). Finally my "show-able" stuff is uploaded to both Flickr and to Ipernity accounts at full res, so anything that I have ever liked well enough to put much work into is safe there. I use a Firefox plugin to sink the flicker photos to Ipernity (one click) so this is pretty simple.

I need to revisit and structure these backups again, but for the most part I am FAR more protected than I used to be. This all may be overkill for many folks, but I'm just describing it here to show what's possible.

AWS Glacier that some have mentioned is great as well, but should be considered a "backup" plain and simple. Gaining access to the files stored on Glacier takes some lead time.. nothing there is immediately available to you after you've uploaded. You have to submit retrieval jobs that become available for download usually within a few hours. Good for restoring blocks of time or specific sets that you've sent there, but not so good for the occasional "what ever happened to that one shot from that one time, i'd like to look at it again" sort of times. Great service just understand what its capabilities and intended uses are.

Last edited by chickentender; 02-17-2014 at 03:13 AM.
02-17-2014, 08:16 AM   #22

Original Poster
Thanks for all your comments, but still I have no clear idea of how i am going to backup my photos?
Most important for me is a backup in the 'cloud' I have local backup on a NAS server.
I have created a flickr account, had picasa already, I installed picasa2flickr, but i am missing an sync between the 2, but have seen other 'apps' that maybe can handle this
A quick rookie question, is it posible to 'hide' my sets on Flickr for other people?
If yes, then i think I will backup and sync all my photos on flickr, and make additional sets to share? No need to make all my private pictures avalible to the public?

Is anyone using lightroom5 as an picture organiser? I tryed it and do not find it as usher friendly
02-17-2014, 08:25 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Thor Gunderson Quote
A quick rookie question, is it posible to 'hide' my sets on Flickr for other people?
If yes, then i think I will backup and sync all my photos on flickr, and make additional sets to share? No need to make all my private pictures avalible to the public?
https://www.flickr.com/help/photos/#1873514

You can also set permissions using the Permissions menu in the Organizer

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-02-17 at 10.27.43 AM.png
Views: 382
Size:  211.0 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-02-17 at 10.29.46 AM.png
Views: 377
Size:  37.6 KB

02-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Thor Gunderson Quote
Flickr privacy works in a different way to Google. You set the privacy level on each individual photo - to either private, family, friends, friends+family or anyone. In addition you can share your photos using a 'guest pass' - basically a unique URL to a photo or a set which you can make and revoke at any time. This is handy if you want to show one or more photos to someone who you do not have as friend or family because they aren't on Flickr etc.

A set may contain a mix of private and public photos - you can see them all, what others see will depend on their relationship to you (this differs from Google where a set is either all public or all private). A photo may be part of as many sets as you like or be in no sets at all.

There is a default setting for new uploads (any one of these categories) which is probably best set to 'private' to avoid any embarrassing mistakes

There is also a default setting for which size you want to have visible to other people - pick one of the smaller sizes if you are worried about someone stealing your public uploads.

If you mess it up then the Flickr Organizr page lets you add/delete photos from sets, change tags, privacy levels etc. on a whole bunch of photos at once.

You can use the official Flickr uploader or any one of the alternatives. I use Flickr Schedulr because it lets you sort out photos by sets, privacy etc. before uploading, in a way which I find more logical than that of the official uploader. And it lets you schedule new uploads (one every 3 hours etc.) so that your friends are not overwhelmed with your uploads. But you probably won't need to use such a feature.

If you are just starting on Flickr then it is a good idea to use some sorting system (sets, tags etc.) right from the beginning.

Last edited by kh1234567890; 02-17-2014 at 08:55 AM.