Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2014, 07:19 AM   #1

Flickr or google Picasa 3

I am not really sure if this off topic?

I have a really hard time deciding where to store my photos online, I am open to hear your story/advice

I have about 50 GB of photos, at this time, and no really backup which is critical, I know!!!

I have read a lot about the topic, and still canít decide, here is why I have cut it down to these 2 options.

Google: I love Google, android, and all of this bla. bla. bla, currently I use Picasa, and I like the program and how it organizes my photos.

Flickr: It is really popular, but I do not know that much about it?

Google costs 5$ a month for 100mb / 10 $ a month for 200 mb,

Flickr costs 50$ a year for 1 TB

02-15-2014, 07:44 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I use Zenfolio. $50/ year. Unlimited storage. Selectable share folders and website layout.
Customizable….

Zenfolio | Derm Carberry

cheers,
d
02-15-2014, 07:51 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Last time I checked, Flickr offers 1 TB of storage for free.
02-15-2014, 07:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

1TB flickr is free

02-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Last time I checked, Flickr offers 1 TB of storage for free.
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
1TB flickr is free
Free Flickr has ads. If you want it ad free it is $50 a year.

Btw @Thor Gunderson

You can upload to Flickr from Picasa with a plugin

picasa2flickr - flickr upload plugin for picasa
02-15-2014, 07:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

use AdBlock ((((:
02-15-2014, 07:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
use AdBlock ((((:
+1 I'm running Adblock Edge with Firefox - no ads showing for me.
02-15-2014, 08:01 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
+1 I'm running Adblock Edge with Firefox - no ads showing for me.
Until Firefox starts showing you ads.

Mozilla clarifies, defends Firefox ad position | ZDNet

02-15-2014, 08:03 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Until Firefox starts showing you ads.

Mozilla clarifies, defends Firefox ad position | ZDNet
Last I heard, those can be removed at first run, but we'll see. But Adblock can be used with other browsers as well.
02-15-2014, 09:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I've not found an easy way to share HTML or BBCode images from G+ yet so I'm still using Flickr, which makes it simple as anything.
02-15-2014, 12:46 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
I've not found an easy way to share HTML or BBCode images from G+ yet so I'm still using Flickr, which makes it simple as anything.
Until they force everyone into the new photo 'experience'. There is a way to share BBCode from the new experience, and a way to embed a photo, but no way to share a plain HTML image.
02-15-2014, 06:11 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Arent both of those a little.. unstable at the moment? In terms of what their vision is and their long term strategies?
02-15-2014, 07:13 PM   #13
Pentaxian

It depends if you are after a simple backup or if you also want to share your photos.

With Zools you get unlimited 'cold storage' on Amazon cloud at a very reasonable price, You can store any type of file - RAW, LR development settings, etc. There are also other cloud storage options available.

Flickr only knows about image and video files - JPEG, TIF, AVI, MP4 etc. You get 1TB free, if you don't mind other people seeing (quite non-intrusive) ads as they view your photostream. 'Paid for' users do not see any ads at all, but free users do see ads even if they view a 'paid for' user's stream. And with the free account you don't get viewing stats. But you can store the original image sizes and you can limit who can see your files and at what size.

Google gives you unlimited storage of smallish (1024x??) photos but as you'd found out storage of originals etc. gets expensive. Privacy options are also less flexible than those on Flickr.

First of all get a separate external (or internal) drive and back up your photos. Then get a free Flickr account and upload the lot there ASAP. Disasters do happen. Then think about the other options.
02-15-2014, 08:14 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
It depends if you are after a simple backup or if you also want to share your photos.
First of all get a separate external (or internal) drive and back up your photos. Then get a free Flickr account and upload the lot there ASAP. Disasters do happen. Then think about the other options.
I'm a big advocate of multiple backup copies. I lost pictures that were priceless to me because I had one backup, I thought. That backup was unrecoverable. Now, the only pictures I have left of that event are a photo book & a CD of posed shots. All my candids are gone.

Google's unlimited storage is good for sharing small web sized pictures. I use photo bucket for the OOC jpg files. Since I'm just now beginning to learn anything about post processing, I have DNGs on SD, external hard drive & my laptop internal HDD.
02-15-2014, 11:37 PM   #15
mee
Pentaxian

I wouldn't trust Yahoo or Google as your data backup...

Besides, whatever sized images you load on Flickr (for instance) can be pulled down by anyone if they finesse the page source code.. And I don't think you get to control shared size anyways with the free account.

I like Flickr though for hosting images to show.. but definitely not as a backup.

For backup, I have small, external mirrored RAID array as well as DVD copies. But DVDs alone aren't sufficient as they degrade over time.. I've had CDs that have degraded to the point the reader claims they are empty in around 10 or so years and some that still work.. flaky and only used as a secondary, short term addition. Even the mirrored RAID setup could fail in theory..

If I was doing this for a living I'd probably colocate my data in some form.. be it through a 3rd party data farm or just sending copies of hard disks/SD cards/thumbdrives to other safe locations in the world. Because, if you think about it, how useful is a backup of your data if you keep it in your house and it burns down, gets robbed, flooded, tornadoed, hurricained, earthquaked, etc...

Btw, Dansamy, if the failed disk that contained your photos is still available and hasn't had data recorded on it since then, the data may still be recoverable.. lots of software out there as well as recovery benches that will open the disk and recover your data... even if it is a partial recovery it is better than none..

---------- Post added 02-16-14 at 12:45 AM ----------

Oh, yeah, and GO GREENBAY!!

Last edited by mee; 02-15-2014 at 11:43 PM.