Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2014, 03:26 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help with wedding slideshow on Mac

Hello my fellow Pentaxians. I recently helped a friend of mine with his small wedding ceremony. Nothing fancy needed just some snapshots of them here and there and with some group shots. There is no need to take shots of the bride/groom preparation and with the harsh cold winter, they decided not to do the outdoor shots as well. They have gone through this during their first marriage and so they decided to keep this one really simple. All in all, it took place all indoors with some irritating tungsten lighting. Anyways, after I have done editing all the shots I wanted, they look pretty nice and sharp in photoshop, but when I run them into iphoto, some shots seems to loose its image quality, rendering the pictures soft and unsharp. Its just weird to me that it only happens to only like about 4 of them.
And when I did a slideshow (which I will link it below), the decreased image quality looks really yucky on screen compared to the one displayed in Photoshop. I am running on ilife 2011 and there is no iDVD included ( which I have read on the net that it does a great job in processing and rendering movies).
Is there any settings that I need to tweak either in iphoto or imovie in order to preserve the image quality when playing the slides and also viewing it on iphoto? ALso is there an easy way to save the slideshow in HD format? When I tried to save it to HD either 720 or 1080p the options is greyed out. I am running a Macbook 13 late 2011 model.

Here is a link to the slideshow

Any help, critique/comments will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

02-23-2014, 05:44 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
FotoMagico is considered the best Mac slideshow app. I'd recommend you just use this.
You didn't state what your output requirements are: iDVD should be part of iLife 11--you may have to do a "customized" install of iLife as iDVD is considered legacy. That said, the standard DVD slideshow is not HD. iMovie uses Quicktime to export. What QT settings did you use?

What size was each image (pixels) and what file format used and color space when you transferred from Photoshop to iPhoto?

EDIT: iDVD is on disc-based retail versions of iLife 11; it is not on App Store downloaded versions. DVDs are considered too ancient by Apple. . .so if you can find an older Mac you can copy iDVD and it should work.
M
02-23-2014, 08:57 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
FotoMagico is considered the best Mac slideshow app. I'd recommend you just use this.
You didn't state what your output requirements are: iDVD should be part of iLife 11--you may have to do a "customized" install of iLife as iDVD is considered legacy. That said, the standard DVD slideshow is not HD. iMovie uses Quicktime to export. What QT settings did you use?

What size was each image (pixels) and what file format used and color space when you transferred from Photoshop to iPhoto?

EDIT: iDVD is on disc-based retail versions of iLife 11; it is not on App Store downloaded versions. DVDs are considered too ancient by Apple. . .so if you can find an older Mac you can copy iDVD and it should work.
M
Fist off, thanks for your suggestion on FotoMagico. I will definitely check it out later when I get off from work. And secondly, I wanted to have an output to HD possibly 720p or 1080p. The files are all in adobe rgb mode when they are processed through cs6 for Mac and in jpeg after conversion from dng. I just found a link stating on using export using quicktime to set the video as HD format. Am trying the conversion now and see if it works. Thanks again for your time and input. Much appreaciated.
02-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You are welcome. You will need to change the color space to sRGB when converting. Adobe RGB will look "off" in the un-color managed playing environment of TVs and most folks' monitors.

M

02-26-2014, 06:41 PM   #5

Original Poster
Just a follow up. Fotomagico rendered the video flawlessly and i believe the pixelation problem lies in imovie when rendering.