Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2014, 05:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Apple Aperture and processing negatives

I am looking for a way to convert my film negatives into digital positives using Apple Aperture. The program does not have a simple inversion feature however I would be shocked if there wasn't a way to do this considering all the features and power in the software. I have been seen people use the curves function to invert the colors but the gray points, white balance, etc is all off. Images come out looking rather poor.

I wish there was something simple like in GIMP where I can click on three steps: Auto Equalize, Auto White Balance, and then Invert.

After flipping the curve I wish the similar automatic functions in Aperture would be performed on the flipped curve image instead of the original file.

I have nothing against GIMP but I would like to keep everything in one system.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

03-08-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

there's that:

A Preset for Inverting scanned film negatives in Aperture | The Aperture Blog

There is also a link for a video to show you how to install

Presets in Aperture can be very handy
03-08-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for pointing this one out!

I gave it a try but I wasn't satisfied with the results. The white balance is way off and my test image came out very blue. Lowering the blue saturation cures the symptom but not the problem. I can get "white" but at the expense of my other colors. Is there a way to perform white balance after all the curve adjustments?

---------- Post added 03-08-14 at 05:53 PM ----------

Never mind.... I know what I was doing wrong. Everything is backwards once you flip the main RGB curve. When I wanted to take away color I was actually adding it. I suppose the addition and subtraction of color goes through the curve transfer function. If the function is flipped then my inputs need to be flipped for the right effect. I fee like a righty trying to write with my left here!

I got it... I got it...
03-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You could always tweak the white balance the preset adds. Or simply add another white balance adjustment. And once you get the desired result, you can always save your preset so you won't have to redo these steps afterwards.