Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2014, 06:27 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Chromebook PP Software?

I recently got a Samsung Chromebook and have been searching for a PP software app that recognizes dng files. There are apps out there that recognize jpegs. I don't need a full package, just one I can convert dng to jpeg. I've tried Picasa, Pixlr, and Sumo Paint, but they won't recognize dngs.

03-11-2014, 06:36 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You're asking a lot of an OS that uses a web browser as it's interface. Chromebooks exist solely to collect your personal information so that Google can direct advertising at you.
03-11-2014, 06:46 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm aware of the limitations of a Chromebook but so far Google hasn't tried to sell me anything and I don't get any more ads than on a PC. Software is web based and accessed through an app and I was just wondering if someone knew of one to do what I want.
03-11-2014, 07:26 AM   #4

your best option will be to remove chrome OS and install a chromebook friendly linux distro, that way you will have access to gimp, darktable, etc and possibly even be able to run photoshop or lightroom under wine.

just do a google search with your specific chomebook model and linux

example:
[Phoronix] Acer C720 Chromebook Delivers Fast Ubuntu Performance Review

03-11-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Okay, thanks. I appreciate the help.
03-11-2014, 09:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Can you download apps from google play store? Then, Photo Mate R2 is quite good. Similar to LR3 in the latitude it allows on RAW files but I know they are working on a new version to be released shortly that wil be better (specially in highlight recovery)
03-11-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Can you download apps from google play store? Then, Photo Mate R2 is quite good. Similar to LR3 in the latitude it allows on RAW files but I know they are working on a new version to be released shortly that wil be better (specially in highlight recovery)
There are no 'apps' on ChromeOS. It is all web based, so web standards only.

03-11-2014, 01:39 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, you can download apps onto a Chromebook but the question is whether they're compatible with the Chrome OS. Apparently Photo Mate R2 is only for Android devices. It would be exactly what I'd want though. Thanks for the info.
10-28-2014, 11:03 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a quick update. There are now several tools that could be used with DNG files on Chromebooks: Picassa, Pics.io, etc.

...but the most exciting news is that Adobe Creative Cloud now works in streaming mode on Chromebooks. It is only available to educational customers so far and only beta - but it's a start. I'm crossing my fingers that it moves to mainstream quickly.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/2...ml#post2988354
10-28-2014, 03:21 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the update Brad!