Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2014, 12:07 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Lightroom Catalog After Upgrades

I have a question that is purely hypothetical for now but of interest sometime in the future...

If Lightroom is upgraded, say from V5 to V6, and they change something in their processing algorithms like noise reduction how does it handle adjustments that were already made? If they improve NR such that the effect achieved by an NR 40 in LR5 is now achieved by an NR 20, do they change the settings on all of the catalog photos you previously edited?

Like I said, this is a bit of a hypothetical but some people might have experience with this when they upgraded previous versions.

03-12-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When they updated the 'process' last time, they left the old files intact. You had to specifically update each image (or batch them) to move them to the new process. The stated reason for this was to prevent any changes to existing processed images without the owner being aware of what was done. They suggested to update a few at a time to test how the new algorithms would look rather than just doing them all.

I never found a single image that looked better on the old process, so I eventually batch updated everything.
03-12-2014, 02:43 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
I have a question that is purely hypothetical for now but of interest sometime in the future...

If Lightroom is upgraded, say from V5 to V6, and they change something in their processing algorithms like noise reduction how does it handle adjustments that were already made? If they improve NR such that the effect achieved by an NR 40 in LR5 is now achieved by an NR 20, do they change the settings on all of the catalog photos you previously edited?

Like I said, this is a bit of a hypothetical but some people might have experience with this when they upgraded previous versions.
To detail Jatrax's comments, each processing upgrade of significance has been released with a defined process name; the current Process 2012 was preceded by Process 2010. You as the user can choose among them and the software prompts you when new ones could be used, at your option, on older images.
This has been wonderful as a first release user. Many images I more or less wrote off in the Process 2003 days have had new life under Process 2012. So don't trash the shots I say!

M
03-12-2014, 04:35 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
That is what I suspected and was wondering when I saw the Topaz Denoise deal, should I buy an extra piece of software or wait to see if LR 6 match Topaz's performance.

03-12-2014, 06:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
should I buy an extra piece of software or wait to see if LR 6 match Topaz's performance
That's always going to be a tough question. There are very few plugins I now use for post processing as Lightroom's basic capabilities--sharpening and NR--more than meet my needs. I'll use NIK Silver Efex on the not-too-often occasions an LR preset or my own slider stretching won't do. And for HDR Photomatix, but that's about it.

M