Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flickr anger .... I need advice please !

Hello to all.

I am here to ask for help regarding Flickr which is now requesting that I switch signing in over to their Yahoo account !!

The problem:

1. Up to today, to sign in Flickr, I used my Google account.
2. Yahoo now send a message saying that Google sign in will soon be over and that we have only Yahoo !!
3. OK, so I will go with that except that once I try to create a new account, Yahoo tells me that I already have one ! This "old" account" has long been forgotten. along with the ID and password.
4. Tried all I could to sort this out but I am getting nowhere ... no possible way to recreate an account with Yahoo .... I am getting real pissed.

I don't care much for Yahoo ... so I want to "export" all of my photos from Flickr to another location: whether it be directly to my computer so I can retrieve them later for another hosting site, or directly to another hosting site.

I have a "paid" account with Flickr, so the "originals" are available for me to download.

BUT: Flickr allows single download .... that is, one photo at a time ! Quite a nasty job to do.

What I want:
1. A GOOD hosting site (even if I have to pay for it, in a reasonable way)
2. A way to download/export all of my Flickr photos in bulk.
3. Take all of those photos to the new hosting site.
4. Get rid of Flickr/Yahoo onece and for all !

Any suggestions please ?

Thank you for replying.

JP

03-26-2014, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Let me google that for you

As for hosting, do you just want web hosting, or do you want photo specific web hosting -- something like Flickr, but not?
03-26-2014, 01:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ipernity has a method to transfer photos from flickr but, it will only transfer the first 2000 photos to ipernity.
03-26-2014, 01:44 PM   #4

If you only want a place online to store your images, with tools for organizing albums and tagging photos, take a look at ImageShack, which looks a lot like the old, simpler flickr but with no discussion groups. If you want flickr the way it used to be, small (in number of members) and simpler, but with discussion groups, Ipernity is a good option.

To transfer your files to ImageShack, you'll first have to download them to your computer, but then you can upload them to IS in a group or groups. As RollsUp says above, Ipernity has software for uploading photos from flickr.

03-26-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi, JP. Please tell me you saved local copies of your Flickr photos. Not doing so is a very bad idea for reason of multiple location backup if nothing else.

Jack

Last edited by jbinpg; 03-26-2014 at 03:32 PM.
03-26-2014, 01:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Smugmug! Or Smugmug Pro.

Photo Sharing. Stunning Photo Websites. | SmugMug
03-26-2014, 02:01 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This doesn't help you at all, but I just noticed something really funny on flickr. If someone searches for 'hairy beaver' they get my pics of Hairy Woodpeckers at Beaver Lake Nature Center...

03-26-2014, 02:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, Yahoo is one big problem on many levels--especially account security.

Smugmug can be a more professional way to display and manage an online photo presence. I've been with them almost ten years. They upgraded their technical infrastructure last year and it is now very modern. Also check out Zenfolio.

If you join Smugmug and use this link, then I become a billionaire.

M
03-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Ultimately though I hate to say it but you're best off having your own domain, because nobody can mess with you then. That's why I made extreme macro, the unannounced changes at Flickr made me nervous and I wouldn't want the same to happen at some other image hosting site.
03-26-2014, 03:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I think this was announced a while ago.

Actually if you are dependent on Flickr you can always complain to the tech support at Yahoo. They can provide you with your id and password.

If you want to get rid of Flickr, you can search this in google: "smugmug vs zenfolio vs photoshelter"

You can also read this: Which Online Services Are The Best For Photographers?

Cheers!
03-26-2014, 03:35 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
OK, so I will go with that except that once I try to create a new account, Yahoo tells me that I already have one ! This "old" account" has long been forgotten. along with the ID and password.
I know you're already done with flickr, but you should be able to retrieve your yahoo account name and password by doing the following:

go to yahoo.com
click "Sign in" (upper right corner)
click "I can't access my account"
select "I forgot my Yahoo ID"
click Next

It will send an email to whatever (non-Yahoo) email address you registered with, which I'm guessing is your gmail account. That email will also have a link for resetting your Yahoo password.

My yahoo account name looks nothing like my flickr screen name, so I forget it fairly often.
03-26-2014, 03:52 PM   #12
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Hello to all.

I am here to ask for help regarding Flickr which is now requesting that I switch signing in over to their Yahoo account !!

The problem:

1. Up to today, to sign in Flickr, I used my Google account.
2. Yahoo now send a message saying that Google sign in will soon be over and that we have only Yahoo !!
I logged out of my Flickr then back in again and didn't see any such notice, i.e. Google login worked fine. Did you receive that message through an e-mail? If so, could it be spam?

For what I pay, I'm more than happy with Flickr and get hundreds of views per day of my images. Would Smugmug offer similar exposure? I suppose the plus with Smugmug is the ability to sell your photos if you're willing to pay a lot more for such functionality.
03-26-2014, 04:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
For what I pay, I'm more than happy with Flickr and get hundreds of views per day of my images. Would Smugmug offer similar exposure? I suppose the plus with Smugmug is the ability to sell your photos if you're willing to pay a lot more for such functionality.
Consider 500px then. It has some social/voting and you can sell off the site, although you don't get to set prices.

I went with Zenfolio and am 98% satisfied, which is not bad. You can have your own domain and sell your stuff using your own prices. The web site builder is pretty good. But you are on your own with SEO. I think when I was comparing sites, they all offered a free trial or a free version of the product so you can scope them out first.

If your Flickr views don't translate to sales, then I'm not sure Flickr's exposure is helping you much.
03-26-2014, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
It will send an email to whatever (non-Yahoo) email address you registered with, which I'm guessing is your gmail account. That email will also have a link for resetting your Yahoo password.

My yahoo account name looks nothing like my flickr screen name, so I forget it fairly often.
Unless you've been using the internet since before gmail. I think my primary yahoo email was linked to my original AOL email from 1997. My secondary one was linked to Angelfire or Tripod or Xoom… one of those ancient "build your own website" providers. No way in hell I'm getting at that thing, but thankfully I have no need to do so.
03-26-2014, 04:56 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
I logged out of my Flickr then back in again and didn't see any such notice, i.e. Google login worked fine. Did you receive that message through an e-mail? If so, could it be spam?
I just logged into my Flickr page a few minutes ago (6:50 CDT), and was greeted with the Yahoo message. I just logged into Flickr using Google one final time, which took me to another page to setup a Yahoo name/password. Fairly painless. So it's annoying, but it's hard to argue with a free TB of photo storage, so I'll stick with Flickr. I also have a Photobucket account as backup.