Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DxO 9.1.4 vx LR 5.4

I downloaded and installed these two versions this morning, and took one photo out my back door of a scene that shows up CA and PF with my K10D and DA 12-24. And to complain about the snow. I replanted some grass yesterday. GRRR.

These two photos show the results using the defaults by the two processing programs from a single image loaded directly from my SD card. The photos are public - you can download them and compare for yourself.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/albert_berry/sets/72157643848544813/

04-12-2014, 11:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I downloaded and installed these two versions this morning, and took one photo out my back door of a scene that shows up CA and PF with my K10D and DA 12-24. And to complain about the snow. I replanted some grass yesterday. GRRR.

These two photos show the results using the defaults by the two processing programs from a single image loaded directly from my SD card. The photos are public - you can download them and compare for yourself.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/albert_berry/sets/72157643848544813/
DXO is great, and some of us know it (I actually use both programs: LR. after DXO.)
Glad winter's finally over in my neck of the woods... But your surroundings are majestic
04-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks for the example - not too surprising, really. Even at the smallest size you can immediately tell which one is better.

Adobe's been like this for years. They promise to start you off with a dull image, so whatever you do will be an improvement! Is this supposed to make us think they have a better product, by forcing us to come from behind?

Last edited by DSims; 04-12-2014 at 02:14 PM.
04-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
DXO is great, and some of us know it (I actually use both programs: LR. after DXO.)
Glad winter's finally over in my neck of the woods... But your surroundings are majestic
That's my work flow, as well. DxO then export to LR where I can do the cataloguing. Works for me. I just wanted to compare the latest from each and put them up for others to see. We thought winter was over - but ...

04-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks for the comparison Albert. I've been using DxO for years, but it is nice to see a comparison like this once in a while to reassure what I am using is right for me.
04-12-2014, 08:32 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
You are welcome, Stan. I still find DxO painfully slow, but I don't have to figure out what to do myself, which is a win.
04-13-2014, 06:57 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Important to note this is comparing the auto correct functions, not indicative of the final result that can be achieved in either package. I often start with LR auto correct but almost always have to move sliders around manually to get the right look.
I agree. That was exactly what I was trying to compare. I did not enjoy dark room work, and I don't enjoy light room work any better. That's where I find that DxO comes in. For me it is "turn it on and go have a beer" level of work.

04-13-2014, 07:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Interesting to see the comparison though. The LR auto is not up to par, I wish it was better, I found that it seems to over expose Pentax DNGs, does a better job with jpegs though.
Likewise with Capture One. Auto Adjust is good, but not great. Sometimes it's good enough, but I frequently feel the need to do more work with even the most casual photo editing. I don't know how the 3 products compare, but this is a useful result from DxO. Perfectly Clear (in particular, the stand-alone Desktop version) is also a good option, especially for larger batches.
04-14-2014, 08:15 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I haven't heard of Perfectly Clear before. I'll have to look it up, even though, except for its (lack of) speed DxO does the job for me.

[EDIT] It appears that Perfectly Clear is rather expensive, except for the Android App. The review seems to indicate that it is pretty good, but I think for now I will stay with DxO and LR. I need to spend some $$$ to get a new computer before I touch any more software. The one I have is working, but starting to overheat (it's a laptop, which I prefer) which is not surprising because I bought it in 2003.

Last edited by Canada_Rockies; 04-14-2014 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Looked at Perfectly Clear Review PCMag
04-14-2014, 08:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Albert, I think you will find that a newer laptop may help quite a bit with the speed of DxO. I put together a desktop 1.5 years ago with an SSD (solid state drive) and DxO 9 runs just fine using the standard noise reduction. Processing 6 .PEF's to jpegs takes less than a minute. Only when I use the prime noise reduction does it take a bit longer. But I only use the prime NR with images of ISO6400 which is rare for me anyway.
04-14-2014, 11:27 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I know a new box will help. The problem, as always, is the lack of funds. I'm doing two a minute PEF to DNG for export to Lightroom. I have Centrinu duo 1.83 with 3 Gb of RAM. I think the RAM is more the limit, but that's all the motherboard can take. I picked up some speed when I upgraded the hard drive to 1 Tb 7200 rpm. Because of some other restrictive software I am using, to upgrade will be about $1,500+ to get anything that will run better than what I have. I really need at least 12 Gb of RAM. I develop systems using a 64 bit DBMS, and that takes more horsepower than any of the photo stuff.
04-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Well in the meantime you have the right attitude - set it up and let it run while you do something else for a little bit. I do the same if I have a big batch to process.
04-15-2014, 06:35 AM   #13
Inactive Account

DxO is absolutely terrible when handling noise reduction, but better at contrast, highlights, shadows, etc.
04-15-2014, 05:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I haven't heard of Perfectly Clear before. I'll have to look it up, even though, except for its (lack of) speed DxO does the job for me.

[EDIT] It appears that Perfectly Clear is rather expensive, except for the Android App. The review seems to indicate that it is pretty good, but I think for now I will stay with DxO and LR. I need to spend some $$$ to get a new computer before I touch any more software. The one I have is working, but starting to overheat (it's a laptop, which I prefer) which is not surprising because I bought it in 2003.
The stand alone "Desktop" version of Perfectly Clear is the one I like to use. Only runs on Windows, but the beta is free right now, which I think is a pretty good price

http://www.athentech.com/products/desktop/