Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2014, 07:10 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LR4 - Lens Profile Corrections - Problems

Evening,

About 6 months ago I took some shots of some antique cars at the Model T Factory in downtown Detroit. The backlighting from the windows was pretty bad, and I bracketed all the shots with 5 frames +/-2ev. Anyway, I have been working on them on and off since then and finally decided to print a few. I printed one at 20 x 30 and overall it came out stunning - with one small problem - that I have tracked down. I went back to the original and redid everything, because I wanted to remove some purple fringing (the DA 12-24 is famous for this), and I also checked off enabling the lens profile correction for the 12-24 in LR4. Well when I picked up the print at Costco - for $8.99 you cant beat the price, it looked wonderful. Then, I started seeing some digital "sawtooth" artifacts. I knew it was not the printing, and I knew the original RAW images were fine, and really the only thing that I had added was the CA removal and the lens correction.

Well, the lens correction was the culprate here. The more I looked, the more instances I found, all over the image. At a distance, it looks like a million dollars - however, up close - its another story. I went back and reprocessed the whole entire image, without correcting the lens, and its just fine as expected. Other times when I have used the lens correction it has been just fine - but this time, in this instance - it's performance was just terrible.

I was just not expecting this. In any case, it was a $8.99 well spent.

Attached Images

04-15-2014, 07:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Profiles for correcting fringing can be problematic, since fringing comes in many flavors and intensities. I guess this one really screwed up and actually worsened the image!

Automatic corrections rarely work for me, I typically just de-saturate the fringes to make them less prominent.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
...lens profile correction for the 12-24 in LR4....

Since LR4 is somewhat out-dated, did you consider trying the same using the current edition of Lightroom (LR5.4)? They offer a time limited trial copy that's free for the asking.

Also, you did not mention your lens-camera pairing. If using a K-5, or later (if not, check your manual for this feature), and knowing in advance that the 12-24 can produce CA on occasion, did you activate the in-camera lens CA correction feature before taking the shot?

I've found keeping my post-processing software current and employing the tools provided by the hardware manufacturer goes a long way towards minimizing disappointment.

Just curious... M

Last edited by Michaelina2; 04-15-2014 at 08:43 PM.
04-16-2014, 01:56 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Since LR4 is somewhat out-dated, did you consider trying the same using the current edition of Lightroom (LR5.4)? They offer a time limited trial copy that's free for the asking. - Actually I should do this.

Also, you did not mention your lens-camera pairing. If using a K-5, or later (if not, check your manual for this feature), and knowing in advance that the 12-24 can produce CA on occasion, did you activate the in-camera lens CA correction feature before taking the shot? - Yes, it was the K5/12-24 combination. No, I did not have the in camera lens CA correction enabled. I always shoot raw and tend to forget about the in camera corrections. I was not really expecting the CA, but not surprised by it either. Its not really apparent on any single image, but when they are stacked - it is there. Considering the strong back lighting, it was something that I should have expected.

I've found keeping my post-processing software current and employing the tools provided by the hardware manufacturer goes a long way towards minimizing disappointment. - I can't argue with that.

Just curious... M

04-16-2014, 10:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another thing to try is the Pentax software. The lens correction there should be the same as the in-camera stuff. The downside is workflow. You probably have to do the CA correction first, maybe other RAW-specific settings like WB, then export TIFFs to do the exposure blending. That may mean another compromise.

An alternative: hang the print where no one can get that close to it.
04-16-2014, 06:32 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Another thing to try is the Pentax software. The lens correction there should be the same as the in-camera stuff. The downside is workflow. You probably have to do the CA correction first, maybe other RAW-specific settings like WB, then export TIFFs to do the exposure blending. That may mean another compromise.

An alternative: hang the print where no one can get that close to it.
That approach had not occurred to me as of yet - Thanks! The workflow would just be substituting the Pentax utility for LR4. I was getting ready to upgrade to LR5 anyway, also.

04-16-2014, 08:08 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Also consider using the Adobe lens Profile Downloader to see if alternate profiles exist for your body and lens. Perhaps something is better out there.
A couple of years ago, I created and uploaded to the Adobe database a lens profile for the Tokina version of this lens on a Canon 7D. This was prior to any Tokina lens profiles being included with the baseline Lightroom release (like they are now).

M

04-18-2014, 08:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Since LR4 is somewhat out-dated, did you consider trying the same using the current edition of Lightroom (LR5.4)? They offer a time limited trial copy that's free for the asking.

Also, you did not mention your lens-camera pairing. If using a K-5, or later (if not, check your manual for this feature), and knowing in advance that the 12-24 can produce CA on occasion, did you activate the in-camera lens CA correction feature before taking the shot?

I've found keeping my post-processing software current and employing the tools provided by the hardware manufacturer goes a long way towards minimizing disappointment.

Just curious... M

Like any software LR4 doesn't change over time. I still use LR4.1 and it's exactly the same as wehn I first installed it.
04-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #9
mee
Veteran Member

Plus I don't think they changed anything with the lens profiling from 4 to 5. (that is, outside of perspective correction)