Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2014, 09:40 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
lunar eclipse composite

Hi all.

I need a little help on photoshop. I shot the lunar eclipse "blood moon" last night. I would like to create a composite image like the one featured in the forum regarding shooting the eclipse. Can someone give me a hand please.

Thank you!!!

04-15-2014, 09:49 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by ginglesair Quote
Hi all.

I need a little help on photoshop. I shot the lunar eclipse "blood moon" last night. I would like to create a composite image like the one featured in the forum regarding shooting the eclipse. Can someone give me a hand please.

Thank you!!!
Assuming the background doesn't change, a relatively simple way to do it is to have each photo be a separate layer in your file. Simply trim away everything but the moon in each layer (except one) and you should have a nice composite.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-15-2014, 09:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Each photo as a separate layer and then select the "Lighten" option under the layer tab "blending mode".
04-16-2014, 05:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photoshop composite

I made this composite by simply cutting and pasting each shot of the moon. I created a new file with a black background and the used the "elliptcal marguee tool" to select, copy and then paste each shot of the moon into the new file. I played with the layout a few times till I got the layout I like. I then used Lightroom to sharpen and reduce the noise.

Last edited by Kendigitize; 04-16-2014 at 06:54 AM.
04-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kendigitize Quote
I made this composite by simply cutting and pasting each shot of the moon. I created a new file with a black background and the used the "elliptcal marguee tool" to select, copy and then paste each shot of the moon into the new file. I played with the layout a few times till I got the layout I like. I then used Lightroom to sharpen and reduce the noise.
I tried that, only problem is I could not figure out how to get the black background.
04-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

To make the back ground black (or the color of your dark sky) click on the the paint bucket tool. Hold the Alt key and it will turn into the Eyedropper tool. Click the eye dropper on the back ground from one of your moon shots. then just click the paint bucket tool on the empty page and it will be filled with the color you chose with the eyedropper tool.
04-24-2014, 08:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I typically use the lighten mode as suggested earlier, but with night shots, I find that adding layer masks around the moon in each shot helps the star trails that are inevitable when you use the blending mode (or the apparent star trails) since the star may move through the shot over a couple of hours. In those cases I choose my favorite image as the base layer and let its sky be the base image for all the other stars to show up.

If your goal is just a moon on a black background than some of the other options work.