Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-20-2014, 09:29 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Best editing software for a beginner

Hi, what is the most user friendly editing software for a beginner? Thank you for your responses.

04-20-2014, 10:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
iPhoto if you have a Mac.
What kind of computer do you have?
Picassa is good and basic and free.
There are also several free online applications that I have heard decent things about. That's a Google search you can do.

M
04-20-2014, 10:37 PM   #3

I used photoscape at first because it is free and easy. Tried Picasa first but it is very basic. Bought lightroom recently and loving it. Plenty of YouTube or Adobe videos and gives great results. Only thing it will not do is stick pictures together to make panorama. Darktable is free and works on Mac or Linux. It looks incredibly similar to lightroom and PDF manual easy to follow.
04-21-2014, 12:38 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Picassa is good and basic and free.
An excellent start. But when someone gets to wanting noise reduction, it's time to move on.

Last edited by clackers; 04-21-2014 at 06:30 AM.
04-21-2014, 12:39 AM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by New 2 This Quote
Hi, what is the most user friendly editing software for a beginner? Thank you for your responses.
I would recommend Lightroom. It's user-friendly and a good all-in-one program without getting too technical.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-21-2014, 05:35 AM   #6

Another vote for lightroom, I'm new to all this as well and although LR can look complicated at first if you take it slow and learn the basics first and then move deeper into it as your knowledge builds it is quite easy.
Learn all about "work flow"
Lots of free tutorials on the Internet. It also keeps the original file so you can always go back if (when) you mess up :-)
If you didn't already have your photos sorted and filed in a logical system LR is also good for that, and it will integrate with other programs as you need more features while keeping the same file system for your pictures.
Regards
Andy
04-21-2014, 05:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I would recommend Lightroom. It's user-friendly and a good all-in-one program without getting too technical.
+1!
I started with the Pentax RAW converter thingy, which sucks big time, moved to Picasa, which is fine for simple stuff and easy to use, and then really started enjoying RAW development once I got lightroom.

04-21-2014, 05:44 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photoshop Elements is OK......
04-22-2014, 01:01 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
2nd Lightroom.

You get 30 days free trial. If you don't like it, you don't have to buy.
04-22-2014, 01:34 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just get Lightroom. Because eventually you will realise that organising your photos is even more important than editing them.

Then, later, get Google Nik plugins.
04-22-2014, 02:19 PM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Another Lightroom vote here too.
04-22-2014, 03:30 PM   #12
Pentaxian

As a raw beginner, start with the free Picasa and then move up to Lightroom.
04-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Because eventually you will realise that organising your photos is even more important than editing them
Ah, well, that very much depends on the user.
I love lightroom, but just as with my mp3s, I never let some software do the organizing of my raw files.
That's what I have folders for ;-)
I only use Lightroom for editing - as soon as my JPG exports are done, both the DNG and JPG files normally move out of Lightroom's field of view.
04-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #14
mee
Veteran Member

Lightroom may seem daunting at first, but I'd still recommend it and watching Lightroom tutorial videos online (I think adobe themself host quite a number of tutorial videos on how to use LR)

The plus with starting with Lightroom is you can use it from beginner to veteran photographer.. no more relearning a new process.. learn once and done (as long as Adobe doesn't make LR a rental only software in the future).

Plus it is quite powerful.

Beyond that, maybe Photoshop Elements. You get layer support, plugins, and a limited RAW convertor (LR has the full one -- called ACR -- built in). Photoshop Elements (you may see it as just PSE online) also has panorama stitching and, with the appropriate free, 3rd party actions, focus stacking blending.

I use both actually. I load all my photos into Lightroom, do basic edits and offload to PSE when needed.
04-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #15

Here's an edited and commented list of free software that includes photo editors: Gizmo's Freeware | Find the best freeware fast