Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
RAW or DNG

I have read many threads from members whether they should shoot their photos in RAW or DNG. Most responses favor the latter as do I. Today I read Digital Photo's "Tip of the Week," which well explained why the photographer should use DNG, not raw, especially with Pentax cameras which save photos in DNG.

The link is

How To Future-Proof Your RAW Files | DPmag.com

I hope it is helpful.

04-21-2014, 02:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm confused. Isn't DNG the same RAW as PEF just in a different container?
04-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DNG is a raw file format. It's an option instead of using PEF, CR2, NEF, etc. The rational is that if in the future a camera maker either changes or discards their proprietary raw format the DNG originals or copies will still be viable. Like you I shoot DNG with my Pentax but I copy my CR2 or NEF files as DNG to preserve them.