Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Someone mentioned clients. Clients usually require a color managed workflow. The bonus with Spectraview monitors is that calibration hardware and software are included. Might be worth waiting till you can upgrade to an appropriate video card. PM me as I may have a card that would work for you if you chose the NEC.

04-24-2014, 08:16 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Clients usually require a color managed workflow
Haha, clients don't even know what this means.
04-24-2014, 10:06 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

---------- Post added 04-24-2014 at 10:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
Haha, clients don't even know what this means.
All of the commercials I've done with clients requires the camera department to have a DIT from call to wrap, especially when there is product involved. Not having a DIT is a non-starter these days. It's all I know at work and in my personal projects I try to maintain the same standards for myself when appropriate.
04-25-2014, 08:01 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having purchased full colour print advertising in the past, both with an agency and dealing directly with the publisher, I agree with the need to prevent odd skin tones and matching the corporate colours. I learned more than I cared to about Pantone, half-tones and colour separation. It just seemed to me that the final images were calibrated more to what it was supposed to look like than the actual photographic image.

04-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I have one of those 27" IPS panel from Korea (on fleabay) with 2560x1440 resolution; great for photo editing and general purposes computing at a cost less than some big name brands.
04-25-2014, 09:55 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Having purchased full colour print advertising in the past, both with an agency and dealing directly with the publisher, I agree with the need to prevent odd skin tones and matching the corporate colours. I learned more than I cared to about Pantone, half-tones and colour separation. It just seemed to me that the final images were calibrated more to what it was supposed to look like than the actual photographic image.
Yeah, copy that, something is either lost in tranlation or or "reinterpreted" by design. However, if you as the vender keep to "the numbers" and have the numbers to show and prove to the client then any mismatches, by design or not, are on them.
05-03-2014, 08:26 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stagnant Quote
I was thinking of the following DELL monitors : U2713H , U2713HM and U2711 .
I don't know details about these particular models, but in general DELL is a very good choice for those on a budget.

I have a DELL U2410 myself and settled for this model after extensive research. DELL monitors often use high-quality panels (e.g., from LG in the case of the U2410) that are used by other manufactures as well (e.g., Apple Cinema displays also used the same LG panels during that time).

Sometimes they fall short off providing the optimal software for the panel, but typically the support is adequate and/or you can use the service menu to tweak things.

An excellent source for monitor reviews is prad.de. Note that their evaluations can be rather harsh. A "good" from them, could be someone else's "excellent". No joking.
05-06-2014, 02:36 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
@ Class A , thanks for the link. Their reviews seem to rather informative.

@ RGlasser , do you mean that there is a huge difference between what the images ARE like and what they are SUPPOSED to look like ?

05-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sight requires mental processing, what "the images ARE like" is different for everyone, regardless of how carefully calibrated the displayed image is. For advertising, the more people who see something close to what "they are SUPPOSED to look like," the better. The more precisely the advertiser can describe what the image is "SUPPOSED to look like," the more consistent the reaction of the people viewing it. As MD Optofonik mentioned, calibration is needed for advertising images so there isn't a dispute over what they are supposed to look like. Viewers still have unique reactions to those images, but it's up to the advertiser to try to manage that.
05-06-2014, 11:04 AM   #25
Pentaxiste
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi all,

Im also looking at a new monitor for Photography and Final Cut Pro X. It will be a companion to my ASUS P246Q 24" so I think about another 24" instead of a bigger 27".
I am currently using the Apple MacPro Late 2013 as my main computer. It has HDMI and display port + I have Displayport to DVI cable.

I need to have USB3 hub if possible.
I might buy a colorimeter if price for display is not too high.

If you have any advice Ill be glad to read them.

Last edited by DimC; 05-06-2014 at 11:30 AM.
05-07-2014, 01:58 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I ended up buying DELL U2713 HM. So far I am satisfied. Factory settings, compared to the ones in calibrated sRGB profile look very different. So investing into a calibrator or getting a calibrated profile is important. It is not very suitable for browsing web or working with the documents : the fonts are visually smaller then on the 24 " monitor, thus causing the eyes to stress more.

Last edited by Stagnant; 05-07-2014 at 02:14 AM.
05-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stagnant Quote
I ended up buying DELL U2713 HM. So far I am satisfied. Factory settings, compared to the ones in calibrated sRGB profile look very different. So investing into a calibrator or getting a calibrated profile is important. It is not very suitable for browsing web or working with the documents : the fonts are visually smaller then on the 24 " monitor, thus causing the eyes to stress more.
There are usually steps you can take to compensate for the smaller dot pitch when dealing with text or images that are too small. What is available will vary depending on the operating system and software that you are using. You may be able to change the default display size for fonts (just be careful not to change the default actual size) or the dpi settings of the operating system. Also Firefox, for example, has an add-on available called "No Squint" that you can use to increase the default magnification of everything that the browser displays.