Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2014, 03:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Monitors for photography.

Currently I am using DELL U2412M which is a 16:10 monitor with the resolution of 1900 x 1200. I am currently looking for an upgrade in form of a 27 " 16:10 monitor. My budget is around 650 euros. I intend to use both monitors together.
I was thinking of the following DELL monitors : U2713H , U2713HM and U2711 .

Any suggestions ?

04-22-2014, 05:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use HP pavilion 27xi. Its very good.
04-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Dont know much about monitors, but you are using a calibtation device such as spyder or x-rite, right?
04-22-2014, 07:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

NEC Spectraview. Full stop.

04-23-2014, 05:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
To apply calibration, I need to get the monitor first. For the current display I use TFT central's calibrated profile. I plan to acquire calibrator with the new monitor. So, what are the suggestions ? So far I have seen only one - by nicoprod.
04-23-2014, 06:54 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aren't all the models you are considering very good quality IPS models? I have zero experience with any of these Dells, but have owned a few IPS monitors over the years. They are all excellent. Since you use TFT's profile, I'm sure you have read their reviews. My assumption is that the differences among the monitors are relatively minor and any will work well.

M
04-23-2014, 06:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi,
I'd also look at Asus PB278Q. I recently got one and like it. I don't know how much it goes for in Europe here, in US, it's a bit less than Dell.

04-23-2014, 09:23 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stagnant Quote
So, what are the suggestions ?
Well, MD Optofonik recommended an NEC model line, so that makes two well before you posted this reply. Looking at your original post, are you restricting your choice to the three Dell models you list?
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
very good quality IPS models
Absolutely, there is a noticeable improvement when you go to an IPS monitor. I'm not familiar with the monitors private labelled for Dell, but HP has two lines, Pavilion and ProDisplay, and you do get a better image with the ProDisplay. Also, different brands have different calibration functions, and we all have different reactions to different colour, contrast and brightness levels. You may end up happiest with the monitor that gets you that "look" with the least amount of trouble. The problem with calibration is that you lose control over how the output device (other monitors, printers) is calibrated and how your final images are perceived depends on lighting conditions and a whole raft of personal factors, including how much caffeine has been consumed by the viewer. On the other hand, if you get personal satisfaction from fine-tuning output devices even when it makes no difference to anyone else, don't let this discourage you.
04-23-2014, 11:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

To apply calibration, I need to get the monitor first. For the current display I use TFT central's calibrated profile. I plan to acquire calibrator with the new monitor. So, what are the suggestions ? So far I have seen only one - by nicoprod.
Whats with the attitude? Every monitor in thatr price range eill be good. But calibration is escencial. This devices are not cheap so consider them in your budget.

---------- Post added 04-23-14 at 04:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
The problem with calibration is that you lose control over how the output device (other monitors, printers) is calibrated and how your final images are perceived depends on lighting conditions and a whole raft of personal factors, including how much caffeine has been consumed by the viewer. On the other hand, if you get personal satisfaction from fine-tuning output devices even when it makes no difference to anyone else, don't let this discourage you.
You dont loose control by calibrating, you gain some. And you can calibrate for different white points / temperatures. And you can soft proof for different papers.. And you get consistency between more than one monitor...
04-24-2014, 05:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel:
Well, MD Optofonik recommended an NEC model line, so that makes two well before you posted this reply. Looking at your original post, are you restricting your choice to the three Dell models you list?
NEC Monitor Solutions are out of my price range. Most of them are 10 bit pannels as well, which is of no practical use for me, because my video card does not support 10 bit output. I am not limiting my choise to Dell models. They seemed to me the best choice my budget could get me.

Speaking about calibration, I think it is important to see what the colours are really supposed to be. It does not really matter if the others will see them that way as well on non calibrated devices, but I guess the level of uniformity of perception will be higher with a calibrated monitor.
04-24-2014, 05:27 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Speaking about calibration, I think it is important to see what the colours are really supposed to be. It does not really matter if the others will see them that way as well on non calibrated devices, but I guess the level of uniformity of perception will be higher with a calibrated monitor.

And then, why do you want such a big setup? From what you say, your images will be displayed digital screens... Images will be scaled to 1920x1080 maximum?
I donīt see a benefit from a larger monitor if not for images that you are going to print.
04-24-2014, 06:24 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
And then, why do you want such a big setup? From what you say, your images will be displayed digital screens... Images will be scaled to 1920x1080 maximum?
I donīt see a benefit from a larger monitor if not for images that you are going to print.
That's why I went with a $270 1920x1080 IPS monitor. I want to see what my clients are going to see in terms of resolution. IPS and Spider calibration do the job well for me. No need to break the bank.
04-24-2014, 08:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
I want a big set up for my personal comfort. Currently I use two monitors. One - ancient 19" TFT by Samsung and the Dell I mentioned earlier. When using Lightroom, DxO, Silkypix and some other software, I prefer to have most of the controls on the secondary screen and have the image viewing area maxed on my main display. It is also comfortable to run virtual machines in such a set up. Also comparing several images side by side on a big monitor is far more comfortable.
04-24-2014, 09:16 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 on Asus. I run all Asus displays in my office. I have never gotten a monitor with a dead pixel, nor have any pixels died on me. Out of the box they're close on color calibration. Their LED models are quite thin, and have a DC power supply, so they can be run directly off of alternate power.

I bought the first Asus after my Dell monitors started having issues. That was several years ago, and it's still working today! Every one we have has outlasted my high-end LG I had at home for a couple years.

I am currently staring at 2 of these at work-- our two newest ones:

ASUS VX238H Black 23" 1ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 80,000,000:1 Built-in Speakers - Newegg.com

For the price they're fantastic-- 1ms is supposedly very good for gaming and all things HD, but I don't do much of that here. I brought my color calibration tool and did my workstation when I was editing some photos for the webpage. They're beatiful and bombproof for the price. Haven't checked lately, but if the next size up is available, it'd be a great deal.
04-24-2014, 11:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm waiting a bit longer for 4k to become a bit more affordable before I upgrade monitors.