Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Anyone using an Epson Artisan 1430?

I'm interested as;
- It is decently priced here in Canada ($280)
- Does Adobe RGB space
- Although dye (Claria) based, inks look good and longevity is rated as not bad.
- Will do 13x19 natively and you can manually set cut sheets to 1 meter long.
- Profiles included.
- Can do metallic media
- Access to Epson papers

I would be printing on this for larger prints and my wife will occasionally be using this to print one pagers for handouts for a jewellery business (that's likely what killed my little Kodak). I have a mono laser/ AIO for work stuff. The output is for my purposes and gifts, not for sale. I've been able to keep my kodak running enough (with pigment ink) that I haven't had an issue with blocking up (the secret appears to be to print 4x6's periodically).

Known Cons:
- Can't do rag media
- Metamerism in B&W (only single black ink)
- Being an Epson, it will drink ink (especially with the head cleaning cycle)
- Around $120 for a full set of new inks.

Alternative suggestions welcome! I've also considered higher end AIO Letter size Workforce Epsons (supposed to be very good), but would miss the additional inks.
Sending my stuff out is an option, but I do like being able to control the whole workflow. It also gives me pleasure to see the output coming out of the printer.

Thanks for your input.

04-22-2014, 08:19 PM - 1 Like   #2
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a smaller inexpensive Epson printer that uses the Clara inks, and I have used it to proof large (2ftx3ft) prints for printing on Epson top of the line printers, and they are perfect. And pushed out 100's of about 8"x11" prints. I cut down larger 13x19 paper and can print essentially any size I want (e.g., my favorite being 8"x12" and I would presume if it is Clara inks (which it is) it should do similarly.
04-23-2014, 07:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback. I've done quite a few letter size prints and that size seems to work quite well for me.
The ability to cut media is kind of interesting (no roll media on the 1430, unfortunately).
04-23-2014, 10:04 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I've had my 1430 a little over a year. It's a good printer and not very expensive. I highly recommend it for hobbyists. Pros (which I'm not) might want something with more features.

No clogging problems so far. I generally wait until I have a batch of photos to print, so the printer can sometimes sit idle for over a month. Prior printers sometimes needed new cartridges if I went so long without printing.

When I first got the printer I tried different papers. I wondered whether the lack of rag paper would be a major shortcoming; it's not. If I really need a canvas print I can send it out. I recommend Epson ultra premium luster. It is versatile enough for all my photos. Colors look natural. The paper has enough gloss for good color saturation and contrast, but not so much the the surface is too reflective. The ultra premium luster looks good behind glass as well as bare.

If you need to do canvas, it's not the printer for you. If you work mostly in B&W you might want a printer with multiple black cartridges. Neither limitation has been a problem for me.

04-26-2014, 05:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I've had my 1430 a little over a year. It's a good printer and not very expensive. I highly recommend it for hobbyists. Pros (which I'm not) might want something with more features.

No clogging problems so far. I generally wait until I have a batch of photos to print, so the printer can sometimes sit idle for over a month. Prior printers sometimes needed new cartridges if I went so long without printing.

When I first got the printer I tried different papers. I wondered whether the lack of rag paper would be a major shortcoming; it's not. If I really need a canvas print I can send it out. I recommend Epson ultra premium luster. It is versatile enough for all my photos. Colors look natural. The paper has enough gloss for good color saturation and contrast, but not so much the the surface is too reflective. The ultra premium luster looks good behind glass as well as bare.

If you need to do canvas, it's not the printer for you. If you work mostly in B&W you might want a printer with multiple black cartridges. Neither limitation has been a problem for me.
Thanks for the feedback - very useful.
The B&W option is a nice to have for me - I would probably send one out if serious. Likewise for rag.
Shooting primarily a Fuji setup these days, I really like the colours and detail I can achieve just out of Jpg and have seen the ultra premium luster blown up in a night shot to 16x24 and was seriously impressed. In the past I have always converted from RAW to tiff.

Quick questions - do you use Adobe or sRBG space, and do you go through tiff or Jpg for output?
04-26-2014, 07:36 PM   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To add to what deadjohn said, I use epson premuim presentation matte (heavy weight matte) mostly; and sometimes premium glossy. And both work well with the printer. Other manufacture's paper I have used (w/ Epson profiles) are: Ilford Smooth Pearl (luster), which does not print well--poor color accuracy; and Inkpress Transparency Film which does print well.

I use Photoshop to print--so it is a Photoshop (.psd) file, and I use ProPhoto RGB for the color space and let Photoshop determine the colors--all this is pretty standard I believe. [The camera file is Raw.]
04-26-2014, 09:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Quick questions - do you use Adobe or sRBG space, and do you go through tiff or Jpg for output?
sRBG with premade color profiles; the colors I get when printing are similar enough to what I see on my monitor. If I had color issue than I would have to go through the full color calibration process but fortunately didn't see a need.

I print directly from Lightroom 4. Most of my images are in DNG format.
04-26-2014, 09:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
I'm interested as;
- It is decently priced here in Canada ($280)
- Does Adobe RGB space
- Although dye (Claria) based, inks look good and longevity is rated as not bad.
- Will do 13x19 natively and you can manually set cut sheets to 1 meter long.
- Profiles included.
- Can do metallic media
- Access to Epson papers

I would be printing on this for larger prints and my wife will occasionally be using this to print one pagers for handouts for a jewellery business (that's likely what killed my little Kodak). I have a mono laser/ AIO for work stuff. The output is for my purposes and gifts, not for sale. I've been able to keep my kodak running enough (with pigment ink) that I haven't had an issue with blocking up (the secret appears to be to print 4x6's periodically).

Known Cons:
- Can't do rag media
- Metamerism in B&W (only single black ink)
- Being an Epson, it will drink ink (especially with the head cleaning cycle)
- Around $120 for a full set of new inks.

Alternative suggestions welcome! I've also considered higher end AIO Letter size Workforce Epsons (supposed to be very good), but would miss the additional inks.
Sending my stuff out is an option, but I do like being able to control the whole workflow. It also gives me pleasure to see the output coming out of the printer.

Thanks for your input.
I have an Artisan 50, which I use for proofing larger prints and for cards. It works very well. I think the 1430 is similar technology in a larger size. One thing to watch for is that the 1430 may not be able to handle heavier papers (for example, 300 gsm weight) as those usually require a straight-through paper feed.

05-18-2014, 08:12 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love my 1430. Don't have any clogging problems and it does not eat ink. I use Red River Paper and their Polar Pearl Metallic is outstanding, almost 3D like. Having had other Epsons, Canons, H-P's etc this one blows them away. Another R-R paper I like is their 68# UltraPro Satin.
05-31-2014, 06:14 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have had the 1430 for a couple of years now, originally bought it to process a large batch of prints on a heavier weight photo paper (Ilford). It is a drinker of ink so the economy of the machine is questionable, but if you put it on a CISS system then it becomes a whole new ball game.
I recently tried to print on a recycled heavy weight (320gsm) paper....so you now get the benefits of my mistakes......dont do it! The first few fed through ok, but the surface of the recycled paper soon started to cause feeding issues until it finally jammed....and clogged...and generally died. However once paper was removed, nothing scientific, just firmly pulled it out I restarted and ran a few plain paper pages through it.
Oh dear....lots of blurred lines, so ran the cleaning process a few times thinking it was headed for the bin, and hey presto, we are off and running again.

Summary: Great price. Economical if you use a CISS system. Obey instructions on paper weights (I think it says to a max of 300gsm) and you should be fine.
05-31-2014, 07:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
@ All - thanks for all of the additional feedback, especially for the paper and profile comments.

I attended a local photo show a couple of weeks ago and was definitely steered in the direction of the R2000 by the Epson folks. Great looking printer (and surprisingly fast), but definitely up a price point.

---------- Post added 05-31-2014 at 10:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Have had the 1430 for a couple of years now, originally bought it to process a large batch of prints on a heavier weight photo paper (Ilford). It is a drinker of ink so the economy of the machine is questionable, but if you put it on a CISS system then it becomes a whole new ball game.
I recently tried to print on a recycled heavy weight (320gsm) paper....so you now get the benefits of my mistakes......dont do it! The first few fed through ok, but the surface of the recycled paper soon started to cause feeding issues until it finally jammed....and clogged...and generally died. However once paper was removed, nothing scientific, just firmly pulled it out I restarted and ran a few plain paper pages through it.
Oh dear....lots of blurred lines, so ran the cleaning process a few times thinking it was headed for the bin, and hey presto, we are off and running again.

Summary: Great price. Economical if you use a CISS system. Obey instructions on paper weights (I think it says to a max of 300gsm) and you should be fine.
If you don't mind - what CISS system do you use?