Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2014, 02:30 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lightroom 6 due?

Hi there,

Any idea when the Lightroom 6 will be out? I don't want to pay LR5 license and then one more for the upgrade.

From Wikipedia,

LR3 = 2010/06/08
LR4 = 2012/03/05
LR5 = 2013/06/09
LR6 = ?

Is LR6 beta out yet?

I've been a long time user of Aperture on Snow Leopard, but the versions on Mavericks been buggy for me. I like the LR5 trial after a few weeks.

thanks,

04-25-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by atilla457 Quote
Is LR6 beta out yet?
Nope.
The rest is unknown to most but the few who cannot say.
If you like LR5 just get it and use it. Nothing says you have to upgrade, and life's too short.

M
04-25-2014, 06:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

How much is Lightroom? $149? Upgrades are $79... for that much money you may want to think about Photoshop CC + LR for roughly $120 per year. I know some don't like the idea of monthly or annual payments, but the pricing is less than upgrading each one every year to 18 months. Plus Adobe has been pretty good with adding features and fixes... where in the past they would rarely fix anything in between major releases.

Otherwise like Miguel says, Just get LR5, you don't have to upgrade.
I have not even heard mention of LR6 beta, so you've likely got at least four months+ even if the beta started tomorrow.
04-25-2014, 06:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm sure once Adobe gets enough subscribers the standalone product will go away which is why they are offering the 'low price' subscription now. Then there's no telling how long the subscription price will stay at that level afterwards. Likely, they are holding out on LR6 for as long as they can and offer it as creative cloud only product IF they think they can do it.

04-25-2014, 08:09 PM   #5
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
How much is Lightroom? $149? Upgrades are $79... for that much money you may want to think about Photoshop CC + LR for roughly $120 per year. I know some don't like the idea of monthly or annual payments, but the pricing is less than upgrading each one every year to 18 months.
If Lightroom costs $150 and Upgrades are $80 then, after the first year, you've saved if you upgrade once every single year by buying the perpetual license.

Example..

End Year 1 total:
Perpetual -- $150 USD
Rent CC -- $120 USD

End of Year 2 total:
Perpetual -- $150 + 80 = 230 USD
Rent CC - $120 + 120 = 240 USD

End of Year 3 total:
Perpetual -- $150 + 80 + 80 = 310 USD
Rent CC -- $120 + 120 + 120 = 360 USD

etc.. the difference in savings increases each year with the perpetual license over the rental. And this is with the typical retail prices; there are sales each year that lower these prices on the perpetual license further.

The ONLY way it makes sense financially to rent via CC is if one also uses Photoshop too. Then it potentially makes up for it. Esp since there is no further CS upgrading possible so sort of stuck there if you use Photoshop features (not present in Elements).

---------- Post added 04-25-14 at 10:10 PM ----------

Btw, when/if there is a LR6 beta, it would likely be on the Adobe Labs website: labs.adobe.com
04-25-2014, 11:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Buy a cheap old lightroom 3 and then upgrade to 5
04-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The ONLY way it makes sense financially to rent via CC is if one also uses Photoshop too. Then it potentially makes up for it. Esp since there is no further CS upgrading possible so sort of stuck there if you use Photoshop features (not present in Elements).
he, he, yeah, sorry 'bout that. I normally add the qualifying statement: "If you have any potential interest in using Photoshop..."
It completely changes things, as you pointed out. Thanks.

05-16-2014, 10:51 AM   #8
pbb

Could you tell me where you get the $ 120/year? When I go to the Adobe website and choose Single-App CC, the price is $ 240/year. (1 year prepaid, if I choose to cancel any time, it's even $ 360/year.) At that price point, I can pay for almost two full versions of Lightroom every year, if Adobe could produce new versions that fast ;-)

I do see a limited-time offer of $ 120/year, with a 1-year subscription. But this is an offer, this is not the fixed price! You can count on that this price will change to $ 240/year after the first year.

(And this is not even considering that you can keep on using a once-payed old version of Lightroom as long as you wish, if it is sufficient for your needs you have no need to upgrade or continue paying a subscription...)
05-16-2014, 05:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Could you tell me where you get the $ 120/year?
It seems you know exactly where the price came from, so why do you ask, if not only to try to create an argument? B)

Not gonna a argue with ya on that. Its simply an option.
If you don't feel its worthwhile, that is your opinion and you have to do what is right for your situation.
I'm not here to control your life, so no need to pick a fight where there is none.

Regardless, no one can count on any pricing to stay fixed forever. It is very likely the price will go up on this offer.
It is also likely pricing on the other offerings will also go up at some point. To think otherwise is simply naive.
05-22-2014, 08:11 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pbb Quote
Could you tell me where you get the $ 120/year? When I go to the Adobe website and choose Single-App CC, the price is $ 240/year. (1 year prepaid, if I choose to cancel any time, it's even $ 360/year.) At that price point, I can pay for almost two full versions of Lightroom every year, if Adobe could produce new versions that fast ;-)

I do see a limited-time offer of $ 120/year, with a 1-year subscription. But this is an offer, this is not the fixed price! You can count on that this price will change to $ 240/year after the first year.

(And this is not even considering that you can keep on using a once-payed old version of Lightroom as long as you wish, if it is sufficient for your needs you have no need to upgrade or continue paying a subscription...)
It probably will go up at some point. If you have have no need for Photoshop then you are probably better off just buying Lightroom outright. My feeling is they lowered the price because they weren't selling subscriptions. They started the $9.99 offer around the Christmas shopping season as a limited offer. The subscriptions must have stopped because they brought it back with no cut off date, just the "Limited time offer" in their ads. I suspect that when people choose not to renew at double the price, they will bring back a discounted offer.

I'm currently using the CC offer and whether I continue after the year is up is really going to be up to Adobe. They have already had one breach along with the recent crash of their system. Another issue is security. I'm seriously considering editing and storing all my photos on a computer that has no online connection at all and Adobe (and others) want us to "trust" them with all the cloud crap they want to shove down our throats. I'm becoming increasingly suspicious of "The Cloud".
06-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #11
Forum Member

The closest competitor that Lightroom has (or had, depending on your perspective) was Apple's Aperture.
However, Lightroom 5 pulled so far ahead of Aperture that its quite clear Lightroom is the superior software.

I don't see that Lightroom currently has any competition or reason to release a new version.
06-04-2014, 03:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Adobe has just issued new release candidate for Adobe Camera RAW, which expires on 31 July 2014. Usually updates to Lightroom happen roughly in sync with ACR.

Not enough substantial changes in this ACR update to justify a LR v6 upgrade, I think. Will probably see a LR v5.5 update soon.
06-04-2014, 03:40 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, when the final version of ACR 8.5 is released, we will likely see a Lightroom update. For the most part, this update just adds support for new cameras and adds lens profiles along with bug fixes.
06-04-2014, 09:51 PM   #14
mee
Veteran Member

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6 coming this summer? | Photo Rumors
06-30-2014, 01:55 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
Buy a cheap old lightroom 3 and then upgrade to 5
Just found LR3 on Amazon for $25 more than LR5....