Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2014, 04:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Question about publishing and modifying images

I'm in the process of entering some of my photos in a local magazine's photo contest. The official rules state "The Submission (must) not (have) been previously published in any format".
Does that mean I cannot submit a photo I've posted on Flickr?
And if so, to what extent do I have to modify the image in PP to fulfill the guideline?

05-05-2014, 04:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

In Any format would mean flickr etc.also.. by submitting you may or may not be giving up some of your rights to it, you would need to consult their guideline requirements also for post processing. Many contests do not want any processing and the photos be submitted in Mfg raw format and wont accept DNG as a raw format.
05-05-2014, 05:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The guidelines mention nothing about post processing. They also state that I will be giving them non-exclusive rights to my image forever, and exclusive rights to the image for 180 days if I win and accept a prize.

Do you know what I can do to the image to make it different enough from my flickr posted image?
05-06-2014, 03:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

To be honest I couldn't say, you've published it and I would presume anything that contained any of the content in similarity might be against the rules.

05-06-2014, 03:30 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I'm in the process of entering some of my photos in a local magazine's photo contest. The official rules state "The Submission (must) not (have) been previously published in any format".
Does that mean I cannot submit a photo I've posted on Flickr?
?

You could ask them, Geomez.

They clearly don't want the situation of getting in trouble with some other rights holder, but if the rights holder is you ....
05-06-2014, 08:22 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You could ask them, Geomez.

They clearly don't want the situation of getting in trouble with some other rights holder, but if the rights holder is you ....
The problem is I didn't read the rules until a few hours before the deadline, which was after their office hours.
I ended up submitting my images just as they existed on my flickr. If I had more than a couple hours to submit, I would have at least gone into Lightroom and did some minor changes to the images like a slight crop and lens corrections.
The question remains though, would that have been enough and to what extent does an image have to change to be different enough from a published version of the same image?
05-06-2014, 08:35 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
The question remains though, would that have been enough and to what extent does an image have to change to be different enough from a published version of the same image?
That would be a question for the courts, as no matter what anyone thinks when it comes down to a civil case for ownership rights, assuming your picture could be worth a lot of money, everything is up for interpretation.

05-06-2014, 02:01 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unless this local magazine has a national presence, I think you are OK with submitting work you showed via Flickr. Though technically any work shown to another person is considered being "published" from my years in magazine publishing my assumption is that they are thinking another magazine, periodical, or existing commercial use. They don't want to deal with publication rights that may be held by others.

M