Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2008, 11:09 PM   #1
Damn Brit

What should I do? .........Please

Hi All,
This is my dilemma:

I only have access to a Macbook, which I have to share, I am using Iphoto 06 so cannot process RAW images. I am still very much a NOVICE and my computer skills aren't at that high a level (funnily enough I worked with computers for 15 years, mainframes, the kind you could climb into the back of).

On the personal side, my wife and I are going through the process of adopting a child and so therefore can't devote as much time as I would like to photography. I also work full time in a plant nursery and Spring is our busy period so I'm exhausted all the time.

I'm planning on getting an IMAC in a few months time and then I can start using Photoshop CS2 (which I was lucky enough to win at a Photography Workshop last year, Digital Days if anyone is interested). I'll probably get the CS3 upgrade as well.

Should I load up on SD cards, start shooting in RAW and store the cards until I get my Imac, which I won't have to share? Or are there other options?.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and for any and all advice you can give.

Gary

Ps I have one of the first K10d's, kit 18-55, DA 10-17 Fisheye, FA 50mm 1.4, Sigma 105 macro and Tamron 28-300. Thanks again

04-30-2008, 12:32 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Hi All,
I'm planning on getting an IMAC in a few months time and then I can start using Photoshop CS2 (which I was lucky enough to win at a Photography Workshop last year, Digital Days if anyone is interested). I'll probably get the CS3 upgrade as well.

Should I load up on SD cards, start shooting in RAW and store the cards until I get my Imac, which I won't have to share? Or are there other options?.
My suggestion: shoot RAW + JPEG, so you have the JPEG's straight from camera. Buy enough SD cards so that you can shoot comfortably for as long as you need to go between unloading to the computer. Then buy a USB hard drive (they are cheap nowadays) and store all your photos on it. That way you can then easily tansfer them to the new iMac + you have backup space for your photographs.

You will have use for the USB hard drive in any case, and it's probably cheapter than buying tons of SD cards (depending on how much you shoot).

Kalle
04-30-2008, 12:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
could you not use pentax's lab software? and then when you get your new comp just transfer over?

when you get the new mac I would recommend using lightroom because it has organisation, develop, slideshow, print and web modules and can integrate with photoshop.

I would do that because iphoto has a funny way of storing and organising the files

also if you want to save a few bucks maybe try to get the last model, i saved £600 on my macbook pro because apple had just release an update a few weeks before!

Make sure you have a LOT of HD space raw eats up for you space. I'm hoping to upgrade my hd to a 500gb one soon as currently i have 120 with only 30gb free and i have 70gb of raw images on my external disk too!

To edit them all you need at least 2gb of ram so check that out when your ordering.

If you want any help just message me, i'd be happy to help
04-30-2008, 01:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

DB, Is there not a member close enough to you whom you could get together with every couple of weeks and let you use their machine?

If you have a good relationship with your local camera store they might even let you use their machines as well.

It sounds like you won't have all that many photographs to sort through anyways, and storing all the keepers on DVD shouldn't cost you all that much.

I know that it may sound like a hassle, however there's a good chance that it'll be fun as well

On a side note.
I've done that plant nursery work, and know how tough it can be.

And lots of luck with adopting the child.
I know that he (she?) will have a loving home

04-30-2008, 07:18 AM   #5
Forum Member

Re: What should I do?

I agree with Kalpaha's suggestion that you buy an external hard drive, but I think you should forgo buying SD cards. You can transfer your RAW files to the drive on those occasions when you have access to the MacBook.

Of course, I'm assuming that you have fairly regular access to the machine--and that you couldn't actually use additional SD cards.

-XM
04-30-2008, 07:21 PM   #6
Damn Brit

Thanks for the replies. Good suggestions but you have raised a couple more questions;

1) What would be a good external hard drive and what size should I get?

2) What would be better Lightroom as dopeytree suggested or Elements?

Dopeytree also mentioned using Pentax Photo Lab, I've never even bothered to download it because it would just be another application taking up space and I haven't heard good things about it. Please correct me if I'm wrong in that assumption. My wife also uses Iphoto for downloading from our P&S's she has a Sony and I have an Optio WP. That's another reason why we don't use Pentax Photolab, the compatibility with the Sony.

I don't have problems with access to our Macbook, I just don't want to hog all the space on it.

Stu, first thanks for the good luck wishes regarding our adoption.
Regarding my relationship with my local Photo Store: First, their customer service is, how can i put this, like Inspector Clouseau's detective skills and secondly when I say "Pentax", they say "Nikon". It's a shame because they are at the bottom of my street but I value my blood pressure. There is a really good camera store near me, staffed by photonuts and filmheads but they don't stock Pentax so although I support them when I can, it's not enough to have a relationship.

I'm going to stock up on SD cards, I need some more anyway, and I'm going to start shooting Raw+Jpeg and just download the jpegs for now until I have done some more research on USB drives and Lightroom vs Elements. Hopefully you wonderful Forum members can give me some more help and advice on that.
What about Aperture, anyone had any experience with that? I could probably get that bundled when I buy my Imac.

Once again, thanks, Gary

Last edited by Damn Brit; 04-30-2008 at 07:26 PM.
05-01-2008, 12:53 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are getting an external drive consider getting FW instead of USB. If you can get FW800 even better. Iomega, Western Digital and others have 500 GB FW800 drives for around $200. Even with FW400, which is rated slower than USB, if you have two USB drives plugged in at the same time (ie, HDD and card reader) then your speed is split between them.

If you are considering Lightroom also look at Aperture. For one thing it is currently $100 less, which will pay for a portable USB drive or half of a large FW drive. I used Lightroom since the beta days and have switched to Aperture 2. Since it integrates with the OS and other Apple software (iLife, iWork, Mail, etc) it has been a great asset to my workflow. Both have free trial periods so you can check out both to decide which is better for you. If you want to know more let me know.

05-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #8
Damn Brit

Thanks Dave
05-02-2008, 09:26 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photoshop Elements 6 gives the best bang for the buck.
05-02-2008, 04:27 PM   #10
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
Photoshop Elements 6 gives the best bang for the buck.
Thanks, I think thats the way I'm probably going to go to start with.
05-02-2008, 09:10 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Elements is a good deal for the money. For some reason the Mac version does not have the organizer features that the Windows version has. Adobe probably assumes you are going to use iPhoto for that. The good news is that not only can you set Elements as the external editor in iPhoto, but you can have it send the raw photo so that when you double click a photo in iPhoto it will open in ACR, then to Elements.
05-02-2008, 09:56 PM   #12
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
Elements is a good deal for the money. For some reason the Mac version does not have the organizer features that the Windows version has. Adobe probably assumes you are going to use iPhoto for that. The good news is that not only can you set Elements as the external editor in iPhoto, but you can have it send the raw photo so that when you double click a photo in iPhoto it will open in ACR, then to Elements.
More good info, thanks Dave. I have Iphoto 06 though, will that be a problem? Don't want to upgrade to Ilife 08 because I'll be getting it free when I buy an Imac in a couple of months.
Gary
05-04-2008, 06:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Seriously, Lightroom is the way to go.
05-06-2008, 03:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

iPhoto 6 does support K10D RAW files, but you will need to be running OS X 10.4.10 or later though.
iPhoto 6: Supported RAW format cameras
05-06-2008, 05:30 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would try the usb/fw drive, really any of the larger manufacturers are fine. I like western digital, but only because that is who I have always used. I am sure others are fine too. The DVD option is cheaper yet tho and you could put the archived shots in one of those accordian disk holders.

I know myself, and I would loose some of the Sd cards- they are just so small. I also have a 2 yr and a 5yr old in the house, and they seem to find everything!

I haven't had experience with the larger programs - CS2/3, aperture, lightroom, but I have used elements (I need lots more training) and so far it has done all that I need to do. As far as organizing, I am looking for a new solution. I didn't like elements answer, I have outgrown cam2pc, don't like picassa and am looking at imatch.

Best wishes for the near future for you. Keep focusing on summer and fall with the new little one when things slow back down and you can enjoy the days again.

Scott