Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2014, 06:40 PM   #1

Picasa and Lightroom

For some years before jumping into Lightroom 5, I relied on Picasa (currently 3.9) for managing and editing my photos. Because I like Picasa's photo management, I was delighted to discover how well Lightroom integrates with it. To illustrate, this is my typical RAW workflow:
Import photos into Picasa
Modify the folder name in Picasa (right click) to add a description following the relevant date
Open Lightroom 5 in the library module
With Picasa and Lightroom side by side, click and drag any image from the relevant Picasa folder to the central Lightroom pane. Lightroom displays all the images in that folder with the option of adding one or more to its catalogue
Edit one or more images in Lightroom
When finished, export the edited images as JPEGs to the same folder
Picasa will recognise the edited images and displays them in the same folder as the originals.

05-29-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why add Picasa into it now? I can't see how this benefits your work flow?
05-29-2014, 08:36 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One of Lightroom's best features is its powerful management tool, the library module. Learning how to import directly into Lightroom will save you steps. It can certainly do anything that Picasa does.
05-29-2014, 10:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you're happy with your workflow, that's cool. I'm glad you enjoy it!

Just curious, though - what is it that you like about Picasa's photo management that Lightroom doesn't give you?

05-30-2014, 01:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I used to use Picasa a lot. I use it less now (since I got Lightroom a few years ago) but I still occasionally use it for sharing photos via the web with friends and relatives. What I like best though is the Picasa screen saver. I just click the "star" button for every photo (anywhere on my computer) that I want to include on the screen saver slideshow and away we go. Sometimes I go into my computer room and space out watching the photos go by for 10 minutes before I remember I went in there for something... If you miss a photo or want to go back, all you have to do is stab the space bar and then you can step backwards or forwards.
05-31-2014, 07:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I still use Picasa but I import all my photos into Lightroom. I edit my keepers and then export my keepers as JPEGS into separate folders. Picasa automatically finds and lists the new folders. I then just click the sync tab which uploads them to Google + which I use for my online storage and sharing. It makes it real quick and easy to upload photos if you're a Google + user. It's also very easy to burn CD's of your photo albums for sharing with friends and family. I live in a rural area and not everybody has high speed internet available to them and still rely on dial up so I still burn a lot of photo CD's.