Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2014, 09:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

shade and sunshine - white balance

Just curious....how do you guys handle white balance when you have both shade and sunshine in the same shot?
Do you use masking and layers and set white balance, one for shade and one for sunshine?

06-01-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I leave mine on AWB (auto white balance) which seems to work good on my K-30 & K-x.
06-01-2014, 01:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Example of what you mean?
06-01-2014, 05:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

With mixed lighting, I usually set white balance to the dominant source. If needed, I might warm or cool slighly toward the secondary source.

06-01-2014, 06:32 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Just curious....how do you guys handle white balance when you have both shade and sunshine in the same shot?
Do you use masking and layers and set white balance, one for shade and one for sunshine?
One way you could adjust for two differrent white balances, sunlight and shade, is to shoot using Sunny, and then in post processing use gradients or paintbrush in Lightroom or PS to warm up the shadows (easier in Lightroom...just use the temperature slider in one of the gradient modes).
06-02-2014, 10:28 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think WB is more important on the main subject, not necessary in the entire shot. So I wouldn't worry about background, corners, etc. Sun and shade really should have different white balances. I would probably not process that out. I can mostly think of shots where I have made it work for me:

Indoors, you can get a wider separation between two light sources, like incandescent light on one side of a face and light from a north facing window on the other. The temperature difference might be 3500-4000K. Indoors might allow you to add flash and overpower the incandescent side, so the two sources are closer in temperature, like 1000K, looking more natural. Masking and layers (with no flash) is an alternative too.
06-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #7
Pentaxian

One of the best features of of the newer version Lightroom is the ability to adjust white balance with a brush tool to areas of a photo where there is different sources of light. Using fill flash will introduce yet another white balance to the mix. There are colored gels you can use to change your flash to match the light. The blue shadows in Dave's snow shot is the most common problem because it really stands out. Sometimes it works but I have had some shots where the only solution was a B&W conversion.

06-02-2014, 08:23 PM   #8
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Nope. The part in sunlight is the color temperature of afternoon sun and the part in the shade is the color temperature of shade. Only differences in the color of the roses is the light they were in. No need to over complicate it. Disclaimer: Adjusted to eye on a color corrected monitor. That part is important