Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2014, 04:14 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Multiple Columns in GIMP

How do you edit something like the photo below in GIMP? Say I have 4 or 5 different photos where I would like each photo to take different columns then I deliberately misalign them? Thanks!

Attached Images

06-11-2014, 09:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Layers
06-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. But I do know how to use layers in GIMP. Would you be able to be more specific with your answer? I guess what I do not know how to do is how to consistently chop the photos in each layer then move them around to get the effect of having multiple columns as if they were pieces of a puzzle.
06-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
basically (very)
each color would be on a sperate layer, Then you'd use a layer mask to "paint" each section as either transparent or opaque.
So the bottom layer could be the entire picture, then the next one up would be the picture minus the part that you want the lower one to show through and so forth.

GIMP - Layer Masks

06-11-2014, 10:59 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drivingback Quote
Thanks for the reply. But I do know how to use layers in GIMP. Would you be able to be more specific with your answer? I guess what I do not know how to do is how to consistently chop the photos in each layer then move them around to get the effect of having multiple columns as if they were pieces of a puzzle.
Well, that is would mean writing a big tutorial when there are plenty of existing ones covering the general subject of layers already out there. I think once you learn how layers work you'll see how you can put different images on them, mask the others off and move them around.

But there is more than one way to do this. You could cut-n-paste different images on one canvas too, for example.
06-11-2014, 11:03 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What I would do that would help too here, is create a new image in gimp that is a good bit larger than the images you are moving around. Use that as the base layer and from there you open your images in gimp then copy and paste them layer by layer on top of the larger image... Then be able to move them around easier...

Edit.. Saw this comment after I posted... But this is the same thing...
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
But there is more than one way to do this. You could cut-n-paste different images on one canvas too, for example.
06-11-2014, 01:22 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you link81, tuco and todd! I was quite stumped at first when I was trying to think of a way to do this. I opened my photos as layers so I didn't have "leg room" to move them around. I think I now have an idea how to do it. I'll create a bigger canvass than my photos and paste on each layer and move them to my liking. After which apply the layer mask which doesn't necessarily have to be equivalent on each layer.

That is why on my first reply I said I need a way to "consistently chop" thr photos into columns. I was wrong in thinking that. Now I think now there is no need to do it, I just have to apply the mask until I see each part of the layer I need. Thanks a lot everyone!

06-12-2014, 05:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
tbe best part of the layer mask is that you don't remove any information. the entire image is still there. you're just painting black or white to make parts transparent or opaque. I use it all the time editing photo's also, so all the original information is still there.
06-12-2014, 06:20 AM   #9

Original Poster
I'm actually trying to print a design on a shirt. Below is my design, I decided not to move the columns anymore. Thanks again.
Attached Images