Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2008, 03:26 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 not showing my RAW files

I downloaded the trial version of Paint Shop Pro Photo x2 after reading favorable reviews thinking it would be a viable alternative to processing RAW files over the Adobe products. I am new to shooting RAW and just considering some options.

However, the few RAW photos I have played around with (both pef and dng) will not seem to open up in PSPPx2. All I get is a black box the size of the picture.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Will PSPPx2 just not recognize Pentax RAW files? Is it just me? (Chances are, from lifetime experience, its just me )

Pls advise. Thanks

05-04-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tried the trial and was disappointed. PSP X2 does not recognise K100D Super, but it does recognise the K100D PEF. The only difference is in the identifier string in the PEF header. This could easily be fixed, but IMO, shows the problem of buying a Corel product: updates come infrequently.

I had a similar problem when I owned PSP Studio v1.0 - there was only one very minor update (v1.01) offered during my period of ownership (about 1 year).

Last edited by dosdan; 05-04-2008 at 05:29 PM.
05-04-2008, 10:34 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
There is a new patch on the Corel site version 12.01 It lists all the pentax cameras that PSPX2 will open with camera RAW. I don't know if this will work with a trial version but it does work with an authorized version.
You might want to download it and give it a try. It's self extracting and is a corel installation wizard so it should put the new patch right into the program.
No K20D yet for corel this might be another year down the road and 2-3 cameras later. They suck for updating their products.
05-04-2008, 10:54 PM   #4
Pentaxian

That patch has been out for a long time (Nov. 2007). I did apply it to the trial. It does not include the K100D Super, and certainly not the K20D or K200D.

05-05-2008, 06:35 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Wow...downloaded the patch and applied it to PSPx2. It still wont read my RAW files. Poo Poo on Corel.

Download the trial for Adobe LightRoom. (Cue clouds parting, shaft of light illuminating my computer, angelic chior singin 'Alleliua')...

Everything works fine and the UI is amazing. Now I just have to save up the 300 bones for LightRoom.
05-07-2008, 07:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The nice thing about trial versions is you get to check them out for a month for free. Just think, you could have blown a hundred bucks and found it didn't work for you.
05-07-2008, 09:17 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bokeh Quote
Wow...downloaded the patch and applied it to PSPx2. It still wont read my RAW files. Poo Poo on Corel.

Download the trial for Adobe LightRoom. (Cue clouds parting, shaft of light illuminating my computer, angelic chior singin 'Alleliua')...

Everything works fine and the UI is amazing. Now I just have to save up the 300 bones for LightRoom.
so what camera do you have? I have a k110d and a k10d and it works for both after downloading and installing the update. Btw, I use PEF's for my RAW files.

Although I've been happy with x2 for the money I spent on it (like $30 after rebate), I'm pretty sure I'll be wanting to try out Lightroom or some other Adobe product since there seems to be a lot more support available.
05-14-2008, 03:01 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Sorry it took so long for the reply...

I have a K10d. I downloaded the update but for some reason it still wouldnt open them.

Oh well, I have already deleted my trial and Im just messing around with Photoshop now.

05-14-2008, 06:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have PSP Photo X2 and it opens my raw files from my K10D just fine. Sorry to hear that you're having problems with it.
05-14-2008, 07:57 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I use the K10D and PSP X2 was the first version to support the K10D, cameras later than the K10D, i.e. probably the K100 Super, K200 and K20 probably are not supported.

Corel took a long time to support the K10D with the release of the X2 version.

It is a pitty they don't update more frequently, and it is also a great pity that raw formats are not standard.

Note also, PNG will work, and is supported, BUT raw is a memory pig, and I would recommend anyone get more than 1GB to work with raw in PSP X2, that will stop many computers from opening the PNG files or RAW files.

I upgraded to 2 GB it's cheap and easy.