Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2008, 05:00 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Freeware

To cheap to buy a good package so I'm looking for something for free. I'm also a amateur at using the camera let alone my 'puter. I have found "ultimate paint" and "paint.net" as cantidates, am I missing a better one. Just using the programs to sharpen, edit size and color and do not need to do graphics etc.... Thanks for any help you can provide.

05-05-2008, 05:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What I use:

Irfanview- Simple and good for RAW images

GIMP - More complex and a lot more powerful than Irfanview. Often couple with UFRaw to process RAW images

I don't have any experience with it, but Google's Picasa is another pretty popular photo editor. There are literally tons of photo editing freeware.

Last edited by maxwell1295; 05-05-2008 at 06:13 AM.
05-05-2008, 07:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Although I have the full CS3 suite, my cheap and dirty goto app is FastStone Image Viewer. It's actually quite impressive.
05-05-2008, 07:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
yep

GIMP - Tutorials

05-05-2008, 11:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Suggestions

For general use I suggest FastStone; it is just wonderful for a free (donationware) program.

You may like Picasa. Irfanview and Xnview are also very good alternatives. You can try all and choose one.

If you shoot raw and unhappy with Pentax Photo Laboratory (in fact, it works just fine; only the user interface is poor); I suggest either UFraw + Gimp or Rawtherapee; all freeware...

Another freeware-like option is to use trial versions of other commercial software.

By the way, Paint.Net is a better alternative than Gimp for photo manipulation (including unsharp mask) if you are a computer novice and do not want to have more than you actually need.

Last edited by bc_the_path; 05-06-2008 at 11:31 PM.
05-06-2008, 04:19 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Guys, I'll take a look at some of your suggestions. Simple editing is all I'm interested in at this time and your suggestions seem to have taken that into considerations, I appreciate that.
05-06-2008, 05:22 AM   #7
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by wandat Quote
To cheap to buy a good package so I'm looking for something for free. I'm also a amateur at using the camera let alone my 'puter. I have found "ultimate paint" and "paint.net" as cantidates, am I missing a better one. Just using the programs to sharpen, edit size and color and do not need to do graphics etc.... Thanks for any help you can provide.

What about the processing software that came with your camera? It's free and, even though the manual is somewhat ambigous, it can produce very good images.

05-06-2008, 06:01 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Windows Live Photo Gallery is free and has a few useful applications - resizing sharpening, levels correction, from memory. Do a search at the Microsoft site.

Another MS freebie is Microsoft Pro photo Tools. I'm not sure what it does yet.
05-06-2008, 06:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bc_the_path Quote
For general use I suggest FastStone; it is just wonderful for a free (donationware) program.
I tried downloading Faststone for my laptop, and it appears to be discontinued

However I see that I saved the full setup program to my desktop computer.

If anyone is interested in it please send me a PM, and I'll see what I can do.
I won't be home for a few days, so please don't expect it right away.

I prefer PhotoPlus 6 over Gimp and Paint.net.
For that mater I use it more often than Photoshop.
05-06-2008, 07:27 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photo Freeware

QuoteOriginally posted by wandat Quote
Try here (Mark Roberts' website) for ideas.

Free software for digital imaging
05-06-2008, 07:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

a.viary.com

lurv it. it's all web based, too, so you have access where ever you go!
05-07-2008, 07:40 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Google Picasa. Its free and easy to use for quick basic editing. Also Photoshop Express looks promising. Its web based but free and comes with 2GB online storage.