Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
great thing to carry with you....

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I picked this up a year ago at a camera shop last year for 10 dollars used... seems to be more then a few of these around.
I couldn't figure out what I needed it for, as a camera can do it for me, but now I do.

If there is an indoor event, I use this handy light meter to tell me what kind of shutter speeds I can get without a flash, and figure out if I need a flash or not to stop action. I really don't like to use a flash if I don't have to, so this meter lets me decide ahead of time which to choose.
If I had more then one lens, then it would also help me choose the min F stop I need.... for example F2.8 or 4.5.
sometimes I go first without my camera equipment and meter the light. If flash is out of the question, and the light meter tells me there isn't enough light to stop action with the lenses I own, then I don't bother and leave the "heavy" equipment at home.

cheers

randy

01-29-2007, 12:00 PM   #2

The best pocket lightmeter I ever have owned is a Metrastar CDS dual range that is very accurate and useable both as reflected and incident. It covers from 0.3 to 680,000 Lux. If you want, I will take a pic of it and post it.
01-29-2007, 04:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tswill2 Quote
The best pocket lightmeter I ever have owned is a Metrastar CDS dual range that is very accurate and useable both as reflected and incident. It covers from 0.3 to 680,000 Lux. If you want, I will take a pic of it and post it.
that would be great. are they cheap?

thanks

randy
01-29-2007, 07:57 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
that would be great. are they cheap?

thanks

randy
Here is a link to a fairly recent auction for one - eBay.co.uk: Metrastar Lightmeter by Metrawatt AG Nurenburg (item 250062590093 end time 24-Dec-06 16:02:37 GMT) that went for a bargain. The only current offering is for $74 usd by adorama. ebay just has ib's and batteries. I DO have one and maybe another but am not sure where or in what condition. If you are really interested, I can do a search thru the 'junkbox'. I'm not in too good shape right now, so it is some effort to do a maybe fruitless search.
Google has several other interesting hits that I didn't check out. Have a look.