Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
App for Tracking My Film EXIF Data

I was submitting my B&W photo for the latest photo contest on PF today and was reminded that (as usual) I failed to capture aperture, lens used, etc. for the picture. Kind of annoying and not unusual for me. I took it with Tri-X 400 through my ME Super. I carry a notepad/pen but I failed to record the data so I can have it for the keeper shots once I scan the negatives into LR4. I sought a solution.

I got to poking around the Web and discovered a few apps for the iPhone that would make life easy. I looked at a free one and although it would work, it was a bit slow to use and wasn't very attractive on the screen. I liked the look and features of the app PhotoExif so decided $2.99 wasn't too much to waste.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photoexif/id618666220?ls=1&mt=8

It took a bit of time, but I've entered my 4 film cameras and legion of lenses into the Settings and that's it. It's a really nice app for tracking your film data. There are no preset cameras or other equipment so whatever cameras and lenses you put into the Settings are all you have to roll through. You select what cameras/lenses are compatible with each other so it streamlines your lens selection for a given camera. You basically work off film rolls from the main screen which shows what camera has that film.

There is a free download for a desktop app that accompanies the mobile app. This allows you to load the data into the jpg once it's on your PC. Here's the company web site for the mobile app and desktop app.

http://photistics.com

Anyway, I find it a pretty awesome app so far. I figure my phone is always handy so I should do a better job of keeping track of the info I know I'll want later.

Last edited by OrangeKx; 07-08-2014 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Added text.
07-10-2014, 08:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes it is! I've been using this app for a long while!
But sadly, the desktop software is available ONLY for Mac platform.

I've been in contact with the developer and despite his assurance that a Windows platform is being worked on, it has been close to a year and nothing...

Be warned though then for those who is on the Windows platform, it's a waste of your money since you can't retrieve and attach the recorded exifs.

I've shot many rolls of films due to his assurance and now have stopped due to this. It's frustrating for me as I have shot close to 20 rolls and I can't even retrieve my exifs for them all..
07-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That stinks. I guess I'm lucky to be using this on OS X.
07-11-2014, 01:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I've been using a free app. Exif4Film on an Android phone for more than a year and it has
free desktop software for Windows.The app is very simple to use and has an interface that
is similar to what was described for PhotoExif.
Glenn

07-11-2014, 06:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Oh wow! That sounds like a good alternative!
Gonna check it out! Regret purchasing the mentioned app though..

Edit: Oh wait... Kinda not that useful for me I realize.. Darn!

That's coz I've relegated my iPhone 4 as both my lightmeter AND exif recorder. Tsk! It'll be a hassle to switch between 2 devices while shooting. Oh well.. Gonna keep bugging that lousy PhotoEXIF developer to hurry up and launch the windows software..

Thanks anyway for the heads up of an alternative for the android and windows platform!

QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
I've been using a free app. Exif4Film on an Android phone for more than a year and it has
free desktop software for Windows.The app is very simple to use and has an interface that
is similar to what was described for PhotoExif.
Glenn

Last edited by SyncGuy; 07-11-2014 at 06:58 AM.