Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2014, 03:15 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I must admit my laptop is designed for gaming so the screen and video card are pretty high spec, but it never really struck me until I plugged in a second monitor. Of course even if I calibrate the laptop monitor, if the second monitor is a lower spec I would need to do it all over again for that view.

Not that I do much gaming, when I was chossing the laptop my son suggested this one because "If I had the money that's what I would by" priamrily because he does a lot of gaming. He kept trying to borrow it and I kept refusing....

07-23-2014, 05:18 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How do I calibrate a laptop monitor? Is there a guide? I have an HP Pavillion Quadcore.
07-23-2014, 08:05 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Something like this gadget will calibrate your laptop monitor. I bought this about six months ago and it lets me calibrate up to two devices.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/267013-spyder-4-pro...dden-deal.html
07-23-2014, 11:31 AM   #19
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
How do I calibrate a laptop monitor?
I would recommend you purchase something like x-rite i1 Display Pro, makes calibration a breeze.

07-24-2014, 08:24 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

Monitor types affect your processing a lot. Calibrating is paramount but even so some calibrated monitors can be not so color efficient for graphics processing due to the type of monitor. Even though this video I find is a tad on the obnoxious side it does explain the different types fairly well;

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 07-24-2014 at 08:32 AM.
07-25-2014, 04:53 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Had to read my pc build receipt to figure out just what type of screen is on my laptop. It gave just enough info to be confusing. High def HP LED Brightview. That's HP's name for it, unfortunately it doesn't mention if it is a TN, IPS, or VA. And yes screen is nice and glossy so it reflects Everything... Aghhh. But I think (after pulling up Every website even remotely related) it's a VA type and backlight type. Now spider 4 Pro or the X-rite display pro or will it make a difference on my screen? I know I really hate it when my photos print out differently than what I see on my screen.
07-25-2014, 05:42 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
Had to read my pc build receipt to figure out just what type of screen is on my laptop. It gave just enough info to be confusing. High def HP LED Brightview. That's HP's name for it, unfortunately it doesn't mention if it is a TN, IPS, or VA. And yes screen is nice and glossy so it reflects Everything... Aghhh. But I think (after pulling up Every website even remotely related) it's a VA type and backlight type. Now spider 4 Pro or the X-rite display pro or will it make a difference on my screen? I know I really hate it when my photos print out differently than what I see on my screen.
Depending on what model you have your monitor is more than likely an SVA type which is better than a TN but you might still run into the off color when printing but it may not be as bad if it were calibrated with something like the spyder 4.

07-25-2014, 07:16 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Thanks everyone for the input... Now to find Spyder 4 on sale, lol.
07-26-2014, 09:16 AM   #24
Veteran Member

If you don't have a calibrated monitor then you are better off shooting JPEG. The color and brightness of your work will be way, way off.

When I moved to a 2560 × 1440 Resolution it was like getting a new pair of glasses. Anyone who is serious about editing will have at least 2560 × 1440 and calibrated.

The big problem is that 99% of the people who view your images online won't have a color calibrated monitor and won't see the image the way you processed it. I was sitting in the office of an editor for a local publication and she was using some office supply store $200 monitor to review peoples work.
07-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #25
kpl

Photos: Albums
I found a website with a broad variety of charts and instructions.
If you don't want to buy the ideal monitor and calibration equipment this might be of great help to improve your monitor configuration and get to know potential weaknesses/flaws of your monitor:

LCD monitor test images

Personally I haven't acquired a fancy monitor because I'm not in photography professionally, however, I always use this page to check and adjust my new monitors as good as possible.

Cheers,
kpl
07-27-2014, 11:02 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
a monitor is only a tool and like all tools if the results are bad, then it's time for a replacement.
like putters, I go through 2-3 monitors a year because they can't seem to make my images look good and sell.

so I think you have the question backward, it should be "How does your processing affect your monitor?"

The answer, mine cowers in fear with each new SD card upload because it knows its inevitable fate....
Actually if the results are consistently bad, even after 2-3 monitors a year ( !!! ) then it's not the monitors it's something you are doing wrong. You'll never improve your image editing if you keep blaming it on the tools.

---------- Post added 28-07-14 at 07:05 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
If you don't have a calibrated monitor then you are better off shooting JPEG. The color and brightness of your work will be way, way off.

When I moved to a 2560 × 1440 Resolution it was like getting a new pair of glasses. Anyone who is serious about editing will have at least 2560 × 1440 and calibrated.
Calibrated yes, but there's no need for such a resolution.

QuoteQuote:
The big problem is that 99% of the people who view your images online won't have a color calibrated monitor and won't see the image the way you processed it. I was sitting in the office of an editor for a local publication and she was using some office supply store $200 monitor to review peoples work.
Yes there's a reason for this. A decent image will look great on anything. Publishers and record companies use cheap sound systems to audition music for a similar reasons
07-28-2014, 09:14 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Actually if the results are consistently bad, even after 2-3 monitors a year ( !!! ) then it's not the monitors it's something you are doing wrong. You'll never improve your image editing if you keep blaming it on the tools
I use a Spyder 4 Pro and they recommend re-calibrating one a month. There is no reason to go through monitors. A good one should outlast a couple of computers. They do change with running time which is the reason calibrating is necessary and also the reason adjustment controls are available on the monitor. If you use your monitor only for your personal viewing, then if it looks good to you then it's ok. But if you share your photos or print them, then calibrating is is really a necessary thing. To prove it, just stroll through Best Buy or even Walmart and look at the monitor and HDTV screens. They all appear slightly different and some are obviously way out of adjustment. It makes you wonder sometimes how they expect to sell them.
07-28-2014, 09:34 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kpl Quote
I found a website with a broad variety of charts and instructions.
If you don't want to buy the ideal monitor and calibration equipment this might be of great help to improve your monitor configuration and get to know potential weaknesses/flaws of your monitor:

LCD monitor test images

Personally I haven't acquired a fancy monitor because I'm not in photography professionally, however, I always use this page to check and adjust my new monitors as good as possible.

Cheers,
kpl
This will be helpful until I decide when to buy a calibration tool and or better monitor.
07-28-2014, 11:44 AM   #29
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
but there's no need for such a resolution
That seems to be the default/standard resolution on my 27" iMac.

---------- Post added 28th Jul 2014 at 07:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I use a Spyder 4 Pro and they recommend re-calibrating one a month
It's the same with the i1 Display Pro, it just pops up a reminder to do.
07-29-2014, 06:14 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I use a Spyder 4 Pro and they recommend re-calibrating one a month. There is no reason to go through monitors. A good one should outlast a couple of computers. They do change with running time which is the reason calibrating is necessary and also the reason adjustment controls are available on the monitor. If you use your monitor only for your personal viewing, then if it looks good to you then it's ok. But if you share your photos or print them, then calibrating is is really a necessary thing. To prove it, just stroll through Best Buy or even Walmart and look at the monitor and HDTV screens. They all appear slightly different and some are obviously way out of adjustment. It makes you wonder sometimes how they expect to sell them.

Couldn't agree more on calibrating