Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-21-2014, 01:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is it me? Silkypix seems useless.

I found no file editing features. I have the 5.0 that came in the box with the K-3. Does it serve any purpose? Ok what software are folks using and getting the most out of the K-3 images?

07-21-2014, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, it is free. :-)
Not useless, but as close as you can get. It can do some basic things, and in some ways maybe better than others as it is written specifically for Pentax raw files. e.g. It probably does better color matching to the internal camera processing for jpeg results than other software.
It is/was also one of the only pieces of software that could handle multiple-exposure raw files properly. (Lightroom used to make them a deep-magenta monotone with embedded grid-lines added at no extra cost) Dunno if that is still the case, as I have not tried in a few years.

I would say most people use Lightroom, but the full commercial version of Silky Pix is also popular (NOT comparable to the crap software that comes with the camera).
But I know many others prefer different software... which we'll hopefully hear about shortly. :-)
07-21-2014, 03:06 PM   #3

I recall its horrendous graphical user interface, you can coax some useful results out of it, but at the expense of your eyes (and the mind which is connected to them.)
07-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My version is horribly slow and yes the user interface is from Mars. I have been using ACDSee Pro, but color manipulation is not so easy. I will probably stick with it.

07-21-2014, 03:16 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Elements 9 here...

Bailed on Pentax software v3.51 for processing, but I still use 4.33 to move files and make the exif database. The End.
07-21-2014, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kshapero Quote
I found no file editing features.
Within the application, you have to switch to 'Laboratory' mode to do any editing.

So start in 'Browser' mode, find your files in the file browser, select an image (or set of images) to work on, then open the image, and switch from 'Browser' mode to 'Laboratory' mode to start working on it.

Despite it's poor (or just un-familiar) interface, PDCU 5 does have some useful features and some decent strengths. It's White Balance adjustment capability is very good (allowing 5 point grey point setting, for example), the complete incorporation of all the Pentax 'Custom Image' settings can also be handy too, and the 'Noise Reduction' features of PDCU 5 are actually pretty good as well.

So PDCU 5 is certainly worth getting to know better. I don't use it often, but I do keep it around.
07-21-2014, 06:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Elements 9 here as well

07-22-2014, 05:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
I would say most people use Lightroom, but the full commercial version of Silky Pix is also popular (NOT comparable to the crap software that comes with the camera).
I use the full version of SilkyPix all the time as I find it much more intuitive than Adobe or DxO offerings. It is nothing like the free Pentax software.
07-22-2014, 07:48 AM   #9
Pentaxian

It is pretty dreadful. I loaded the Pentax CD that came with my K10D and almost gave up on digital photography and probably would have if I had been forced to use that piece of crap. I never loaded my K5 CD. Last year, I bought a Panasonic LF1 that wasn't supported by Lightroom at that time. I loaded their CD and their version of SilkyPix and my opinion hasn't changed 8 years later. I shot JPEGs until I got the update. It's said that the full, paid version of SilkyPix is pretty good but who in their right mind would risk their hard earned money buying something with the same name as that crap that comes with the camera?
07-22-2014, 09:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
It is pretty dreadful. I loaded the Pentax CD that came with my K10D and almost gave up on digital photography and probably would have if I had been forced to use that piece of crap. I never loaded my K5 CD. Last year, I bought a Panasonic LF1 that wasn't supported by Lightroom at that time. I loaded their CD and their version of SilkyPix and my opinion hasn't changed 8 years later. I shot JPEGs until I got the update. It's said that the full, paid version of SilkyPix is pretty good but who in their right mind would risk their hard earned money buying something with the same name as that crap that comes with the camera?
You can get a fully functional 30 day evaluation copy of SilkyPix Pro for free. It is nothing like the Pentax version.
07-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
You can get a fully functional 30 day evaluation copy of SilkyPix Pro for free. It is nothing like the Pentax version.
It pretty much makes you wonder about their business model. If you want to sell a product, then make the version that comes with the camera at least somewhat user friendly. I'm sure Silky Pix gets paid by Pentax, Panasonic and every other manufacturer who includes their editing software in their camera bundle so there's no reason to not to make it a bit more user friendly. Just about everybody goes looking for editing software soon after buying their first digital camera and they will assume anything from SilkyPix is what they already have. The bad taste in their mouth is still there. After several years of shooting digital, I can now go into into the old Pentax/SilkyPix software and use it but why bother? It's a very good and powerful editor but has the worse user interface ever devised. If it had been easy and intutive, SilkyPix would be at the top of the food chain instead of Adobe.
07-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
It pretty much makes you wonder about their business model.
Perhaps they are not after world domination like Adobe. The only SilkyPix bit in the Pentax software is a (rather outdated) RAW processing engine.
07-22-2014, 12:21 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I actually like the version of silkypix shipped with K-3. I found the old version with K100DS pathetic. The new one is pleasant enough to use and effective for whole of image processing such as colour balance correction or rotate etc.

Since I aim for a style of photography that captures most of what I want in camera this SW is adequate for me.

I can see that it would be frustrating, and is limited if I wanted to do part-image work. That means I have some images that I cannot get pleasing with it, but in my view they are not my best because they do not fit the style I aim for.
07-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I use to love Silkypix Pro, and it has a lot of the lens distortion correction functions that LR didn't add until version 4 (I think). Once you got used to its rather poor translation (Japanese software with a bit cryptic English translations), it was as easy and powerful as any to use.

I probably would have stuck with it if it wasn't so expensive when LR dropped in price drastically. I have tested it on each major release, but haven't felt inclined to go back to it.
07-22-2014, 02:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I probably would have stuck with it if it wasn't so expensive when LR dropped in price drastically.
SilkyPix is 117 Euro for Pentax users.