Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2014, 01:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Upscaling images

Can anyone recommend software that will upscale low-res images? I'm currently using Photoshop CS6 & Lightroom on a PC.
I'd like to take an image that is currently 1632 x 1232 or 5x7 at 230 dpi and print it at 8x10 or larger. I'm not looking for a low-cost solution, just the best way to go. I'm just not sure if the resize feature within CS6 is good enough or are there much better 3rd-party software out there.

Thanks

07-27-2014, 02:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Either Lightroom or CS6 can do this just fine. No other third party software is necessary. I'd use Lightroom as it is easier, and the uprezing technology is excellent. Some, such as myself, feel that it is better than what comes with Photoshop or what is available from third parties.
Select your image and in the Export dialog box you configure as follows:
Image Sizing>checkbox Resize to fit>choose Width & Height in dropdown menu; below enter your desired dimensions and be sure you choose "in" in the dropdown menu. Enter 300 as the pixels per inch metric.
If you are intended to print the image, check the sharpen for matte or glossy paper dropdown menu and choose the amount. Click on export, making sure you have identified the file format, color space, and quality level prior.
That's about it.

M
07-27-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My version of CS5 won't upscale my K-3 images in Camera RAW, the way it used to with my lower pixel-count Pentaxes. I can still upscale if I go into PhotoShop, although it's not as convenient. However, on your specific question, I've heard that this software (Resize) is good although I haven't tried it, personally. It's a little expensive, but the reviews are good, and it's a lot cheaper than paying for Photoshop!
07-27-2014, 03:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Miguel for the tips. I'll just use what I've got unless I feel I need something better. I learned back in the days before Lightroom that upsizing in PS was fairly poor. Apparently they've gotten better.

Thanks again

07-27-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perfect Resize 8 - onOne Software
07-27-2014, 10:18 PM   #6
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Another vote for onOne Software Perfect Resize nee Genuine Fractals. Been using it for years. Every one of my prints go from fully edited PSD file to final output size at 300 PPI. Been using it since CS3. I have CS6 and CC but still think Perfect Resize is a better solution. I continue to be amazed at how good it is.