Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-07-2014, 07:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
LR5.6 not working on my laptop

LR5.6 keeps telling me something about insufficient memory when I try to export files. Others are also having this issue, there are several threads on the net like this one: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1536164.

I have several hundred wedding photos to process and no time to dick around. LR4 was fine, but I deleted it recently. LR5.5 was working OK for me, not as good as LR4.

I don't want to discuss my laptop, because there's nothing I can do about it right now. It ran previous versions of LR, it does not get on with 5.6. How do I get back to a LR version I can use, without losing the processing I've completed on my photos?

08-07-2014, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you keep LR4 on your computer? I ask because I still have LR 3 and 4 on mine. Lightroom doesn't delete earlier versions. If I want to use LR 4, I just open it and import whatever photos I want to edit into the program. If not, you should be able to load LR4 back on your computer.
08-07-2014, 04:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Did you keep LR4 on your computer? I ask because I still have LR 3 and 4 on mine. Lightroom doesn't delete earlier versions. If I want to use LR 4, I just open it and import whatever photos I want to edit into the program. If not, you should be able to load LR4 back on your computer.
LOL! I just noticed that LR4 was still in my Downloads folder last week and flushed it. I don't think LR4 is updated for the K-3 or a6000 is it?

Anyway, some good news. I successfully exported 188 files to jpeg, after about ten tries, each one nibbling away, a few files at a time. I think I'll have to limp along like this until my current job is complete.
08-07-2014, 05:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

If you shoot in DNG, you're probably ok with the K3. With the a6000, I don't know. I had to go to LR5 to process the RAW files from my Lumix LF1. I'm using the $9.99 CC + Lightroom deal but I haven't upgraded LR and I'm still using v5.4. I had some crashing issues with this version and had to reinstall the update twice before things got working right so I haven't been too interested in updating since. I don't see anything in the new version that makes me want to rush to upgrade.

08-09-2014, 01:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I've been hammering Lightroom hard this last week, processing a batch of about 2000 DNG's. What I've needed to do to keep Lightroom responsive is close it down after every few hours of work, and make sure I choose the 'Optimize and backup' option each time I shut it down. Then rinse and repeat. It has really helped.

I also removed a lot of the presets that I had (several VSCO preset folders), since I never used them, and that also made a perceptible difference to LR responsiveness.
08-09-2014, 08:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I've been hammering Lightroom hard this last week, processing a batch of about 2000 DNG's. What I've needed to do to keep Lightroom responsive is close it down after every few hours of work,
That's what I've found too. There must be some sort of cache that gets filled up as you make adjustments to files.
08-10-2014, 06:23 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Keep in mind that the way Lightroom works is a big resource hog. It doesn't change a thing in your photos. It writes more data to the photo to make those adjustments. The penalty of being non-destructive. The longer you work in a session, the more and more memory is consumed and it also uses empty hard drive space as a scratch disk so if your hard drive is getting full, it slows down even more. When I use the laptop, I shut it down after about 20 photos because it just starting hanging, sometimes for a minute or two.