Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2014, 11:35 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New User of Silky Pix Ver. 6 looking for company

I just returned to Silky Pix Developer Pro with the latest version 6. It is a big improvement but I still have some doubts. Anyone out there using Silky Pix Developer Pro Version 5 or 6? Would like to exchange ideas.

Earl

08-11-2014, 03:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use SilkyPix Developer Studio Pro 6 all the time. What is the problem ?
08-12-2014, 06:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi:
Thanks for replying. I'm using Silky Pix again and don't have any great problems but do have several questions. I have tried the Silky Pix forum but there is very little activity there. I would like to put forth some questions and exchange ideas if you are willing. The first question (doubt) I have is the following: I process a Raw file using Taste Portrait for example and save it normally. I end up with The original Raw File, the processed JPEG file and the .spd document file. I process the same Raw file using another Taste and save it (rename automatically). I end up with the original Raw file, the processed second JPEG file and the .spd document file. The first .spd document file no long exists. Therefore I loose all the developement settings for the first JPEG file. Does Version 6 have some way to save the .spd document file for each JPEG file automatically?

Earl
Madrid
08-12-2014, 07:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Silkypix expects the development settings to be in a file of the same filename as the image, but with a .SPD (or .6.SPD) extension. These will be used unless told otherwise. The easiest way to do what you are trying to do (have several development settings for one RAW file) is to save the development settings manually when you are ready (File -> Save Dev Param ....) with a different file name. Next time use File -> Load Dev Param to select the version of development settings that you want. The default .SPD file will still be created (and continually updated) so ignore it.

A probably better way is to save the settings as a 'taste'. This will let you use them on other similar images. Or if you have plenty of disk space simply make a copy of the RAW file (with a name different to the original) and let Silkypix do its (stupid) default selection. There may be a better way but I've not found it yet.

The Silkypix forum is pretty much dead these days. The German distributor can be sometimes helpful but usually they will just pass on any query or bug report to Japan and you'll never hear any more.

08-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Silkypix expects the development settings to be in a file of the same filename as the image, but with a .SPD (or .6.SPD) extension. These will be used unless told otherwise. The easiest way to do what you are trying to do (have several development settings for one RAW file) is to save the development settings manually when you are ready (File -> Save Dev Param ....) with a different file name. Next time use File -> Load Dev Param to select the version of development settings that you want. The default .SPD file will still be created (and continually updated) so ignore it.

A probably better way is to save the settings as a 'taste'. This will let you use them on other similar images. Or if you have plenty of disk space simply make a copy of the RAW file (with a name different to the original) and let Silkypix do its (stupid) default selection. There may be a better way but I've not found it yet.

The Silkypix forum is pretty much dead these days. The German distributor can be sometimes helpful but usually they will just pass on any query or bug report to Japan and you'll never hear any more.
Hi:

Again thanks for your reply and three alternatives. Since I am planning to do a experiments with selected Raw files I need to set up an easy way to return to a specific developement setting. I will try all three to see which suits the task.
Regards,
Earl
08-12-2014, 10:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by merengue Quote
The first .spd document file no long exists. Therefore I loose all the developement settings for the first JPEG file.
I've used SP Developer Studio Pro 4/5/6. By default SP saves the development settings in the outputted JPG/TIFF. Try a simple test:

1. Boost the sharpness and/or colour of a raw file.
2. Develop it as a JPEG.
3. Load the JPEG into SP.
4. R.click on the thumbnail and select "Copy Development Parameters" (or use the Ctrl-C hot-key)
5. Go back to the directory where the raw files are and select another raw file that you haven't fiddled with yet.
6. Either R.click and select "Paste Development Parameters", or just use the Ctrl-V hot-key.

The development parameters from JPEG1 are applied to raw2.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 08-13-2014 at 02:50 AM.
08-13-2014, 05:53 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a question about why to use Developer Studio. I was more impressed than most people seem to be with the Silky Pix program included with thw K3 so I looked into buying the Pro version. However the price was so much higher than Lightroom that it did not seem a good choice. Can any of you who use the software explain what it is that attracts you to it? I am still thinking about giving it a try. Thanks for any help you can offer.

08-13-2014, 07:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
I've used SP Developer Studio Pro 4/5/6. By default SP saves the development settings in the outputted JPG/TIFF.
The development settings are indeed written into the MakerNotes section of the EXIF. Beware though that some software will strip these out because it does not understand them.

---------- Post added 13-08-14 at 15:23 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I have a question about why to use Developer Studio. I was more impressed than most people seem to be with the Silky Pix program included with thw K3 so I looked into buying the Pro version. However the price was so much higher than Lightroom that it did not seem a good choice. Can any of you who use the software explain what it is that attracts you to it? I am still thinking about giving it a try. Thanks for any help you can offer.
I use SP Developer Studio because it gives me the results that I want, quickly. It has its quirks, but I find the controls well thought out and their effects to be similar to what they would be in a real darkroom. And it is not Adobe or DxO (spit).
08-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks..

to kh1234567890 and Dan from down under:

I'm starting to get into the hang of this. It ail take me some time, but I have plenty of that now.

Earl
Madrid
08-13-2014, 01:15 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some useful hotkeys:

Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V: Copy & Paste Development Parameters. I use this all the time. After you adjust the first image, use Ctrl-C on it to copy its development parameters. Then select a range of thumbnails using either Ctrl-A (all), Shift-clicking (from here-to-there), or Ctrl-clicking (this, this, this.. & this), and then use Ctrl-V to apply the same settings to all the selected images.

Shift-L.Arrow/Shift-R.Arrow
: toggle between the initial Zoom Tool view (similar to Fitted view, but with the zoom slider showing) and 100% view (same number of screen pixels as in this section of the image).

Ctrl-Q: Rotation Tool. Not quite what it seems. Can be used to draw a line to level the image, but if you draw a line close to 90 degrees, that is near vertical, it will not rotate the image 90 degrees. Instead, it will assume you're levelling on a vertical line (for example, the side of a building) instead of a horizontal one.

Ctrl-T: Crop Tool. The difference between the initial Zoom view and the true Fitted view is shown here. Normally when you use Ctrl-T a 2nd time, (after 1st using it to mark out the crop region), and are currently in Fitted view, the cropped image will now fill the available display area. But if you've Shift-Arrowed back from say 100% view, the image is no longer in Fitted view and the cropped image is not visually fitted automatically. You have to then use Shift-L.Arrow to refit it. But since you are no longer in Fitted view, when you switch to the next image in your directory (F12) you will need to refit the new image again, after cropping. This is a bit of an irritation.

What is needed is a hot-key to reset to Fitted view. I've assigned Ctrl-F1 to this purpose: the "Change preview tool to fitted display" function under Settings | Shortcut key settings | Tools category. I would have preferred to reassign Shift-L.Arrow to this function, but unfortunately it's reserved and can't be unassigned/reassigned.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 08-13-2014 at 04:53 PM.