Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-13-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Exif Data Changes by Lightroom

Whenever I PP a photo in Photoshop or Lightroom the Firmware Version is deleted from the Exif Data and " Adobe Photoshop Lightroom" is added in its place. How do I ensure the Exif is left intact? I think this is illegal and obtrusive as I have paid heavy $$ for my Photoshop & Lightroom Softwares - screen shot attached.
Regards.
Nanhi.
camp: Thornhill, Ontario.

Attached Images

08-13-2014, 05:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm not sure what is the problem here, this is why this EXIF field exists... It stores the name of the last software (or firmware in the case of a camera) that modified the picture. Look closely, it says "Firmware/Software version", and not "camera firmware".

Every piece of photo software I know of does this
08-13-2014, 06:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

"Software: This tag records the name and version of the software or firmware of the camera or image input device used to generate the image"

CIPA DC-008-Translation-2012, page 40

I think fgaudet is correct. If e.g. you use RAW sensor data from your camera and then generate the image (the JPG) with Lightroom, then Lightroom is the correct tag.
08-13-2014, 10:41 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
"Software: This tag records the name and version of the software or firmware of the camera or image input device used to generate the image"
The camera is the input device, so the tag 'software' here, by the above definition, is incorrect.

Here's the (edited) output from exiftool on one of my raw files:

ExifTool Version Number : 9.58
File Name : _IGP8112.DNG
Directory : /Volumes/Data/johnyates/Pictures/2014/2014-08-10 K-5
File Size : 24 MB
File Modification Date/Time : 2014:08:13 23:33:58-06:00
File Access Date/Time : 2014:08:13 23:34:34-06:00
File Inode Change Date/Time : 2014:08:13 23:33:58-06:00
File Permissions : rw-r--r--
File Type : DNG
MIME Type : image/x-adobe-dng
Exif Byte Order : Big-endian (Motorola, MM)
Make : PENTAX
Camera Model Name : PENTAX K-5
Orientation : Horizontal (normal)
Software : K-5 Ver 1.16
Modify Date : 2014:08:10 21:04:53
Artist : John Yates

<snip>

Format : image/dng
Creator Tool : K-5 Ver 1.16
Rating : 0
Metadata Date : 2014:08:13 23:33:57-06:00
Lens : K or M Lens

<snip>

Creator : John Yates
Rights : John Yates
History Action : saved
History Instance ID : xmp.iid:2a9b26d2-8141-4656-a1c0-ae58d0c94313
History When : 2014:08:13 23:33:57-06:00
History Software Agent : Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw 8.6 (Macintosh)
History Changed : /metadata

Lightroom isn't showing the full exif data and it appears perhaps they've incorrectly used the 'software' tag for the data they do show.

---------- Post added 13th Aug 2014 at 11:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
How do I ensure the Exif is left intact?
To answer the original question, you might want to run exiftool to examine your data. I suspect what's concerning you is that the exif you're shown in PS or LR is a small subset of what actually exists.

Last edited by johnyates; 08-14-2014 at 12:57 AM.
08-14-2014, 04:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

fgaudet is correct. An exported JPEG was created by Lightroom, not the camera. Checking the data in PhotoMe, there is a ton more data than the little bit that Lightroom displays but you have to keep in mind that the camera software didn't generate the the JPEG, the editing software did.
08-14-2014, 05:20 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
An exported JPEG was created by Lightroom, not the camera. Checking the data in PhotoMe, there is a ton more data than the little bit that Lightroom displays but you have to keep in mind that the camera software didn't generate the the JPEG, the editing software did.
This is correct. Lightroom completely removes the maker notes sections and adds quite a bit too. It you wish, you can edit the exif on the exported JPEG to your liking using something like exiftool. As for the legalities...the only legal issues might be if someone other than the image creator were to remove the embedded copyright/iptc tags.

Steve
08-14-2014, 08:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Much thanks to my Pentaxian Friends. All I am saying is that I have paid $$$ for Photoshop & Lightroom, and these software have no right to change and then append itself to the photo exif w/o my permission.
The photo attached above is from PDCU-5. Note from the Row: Firmware / Software Verion in the Exif, it has removed "K-5 Firmware Ver 1.16", and appended "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom".
So I found and used the Free Program "ExifyMe" to restore the Exif Data from the original photo - screen shot from PDCU-5 attached.
But this is time consuming.
If any of you know how to prevent Photoshop or Lightroom from changing the photos Exif, I would be grateful. Perhaps I should write to Adobe.
Regards.
Nanhi
camp: Thornhill, Ontario.

Attached Images

08-15-2014, 07:28 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If any of you know how to prevent Photoshop or Lightroom from changing the photos Exif, I would be grateful.
This is more a personal issue than an inherent flaw in the software. Fortunately the fix is simple: cease using both Adobe products immediately and sell them to help recoup your costs.

There are other products out there.

M
08-15-2014, 08:37 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

All I am saying is that I have paid $$$ for Photoshop & Lightroom, and these software have no right to change and then append itself to the photo exif w/o my permission.
This notion of the exif being immutable is novel. I would suggest that you write your own software.

Steve
08-15-2014, 10:29 AM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Much thanks to my Pentaxian Friends. All I am saying is that I have paid $$$ for Photoshop & Lightroom, and these software have no right to change and then append itself to the photo exif w/o my permission.
Please read Annex E.3 "Application Software Guidelines" of the EXIF 2.3 standard. That document specifies how image editing software like Photoshop and Lightroom should handle EXIF tags in images. Specifically, table 56 in E.3.3 says that the "Software" tag should be changed to the name of the software used to edit the image. If the software changes any of the tags that should be copied unchanged according to the standard, then that's a bug and should be reported to Adobe.
08-15-2014, 11:45 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by markkuk Quote
Please read Annex E.3 "Application Software Guidelines" of the EXIF 2.3 standard. That document specifies how image editing software like Photoshop and Lightroom should handle EXIF tags in images. Specifically, table 56 in E.3.3 says that the "Software" tag should be changed to the name of the software used to edit the image. If the software changes any of the tags that should be copied unchanged according to the standard, then that's a bug and should be reported to Adobe.
Well, there you have it. I suspected the standard addressed this matter, but did not have the patience to research it out.

Steve