Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2008, 06:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Anyone do Pop Art conversions

I know I am late for Mother's Day, but I blame a crapped out OS X install and my decision to swap from PSE 6 on Windows thru VMWare, to PSE 6 native on Mac as why... (seperate instances)

So, my wife's wanted a pop art picture of our kids for like, a year now. I was thinking of it last year, but her mother when asked said "oh she wouldn't like that". About a week later, my wife said she'd love one.

soo.....
there are places in the city that would do them, but a-they aren't cheap, a few hundred bucks i think was the last price I got. Because I want a decent size, and there are 3 kids to do up. and b-i just like the idea of doing it myself.

problem for me is, I have seen several tutorials on what to do, but either I haven't fully understood them, they werent clear enough, or I am still intimidated by Photoshop elements.

So, anyone here do one? Any recommendations?
Basically, I was thinking of one of 2 options-either individual headshots of each baby, and getting a frame for 3 8x10's, or doing one bigger group shot.
then the other decision was, am i printing them @ home on my new printer, or i was even considering having them printed on the canvas paper by a local photo shop.

so.....any advice?

05-10-2008, 04:00 AM   #2

Pop art

I attempted to make a Warhol type collage from a portrait of my Daughter using PSE 6. The result is here There are quite a few tutorials for PS Elements on the web but I think the one I followed to create my masterpiece was actually for PS CS or one of the variants which I adapted. Here's a couple of PS Elements tutorial resources: Graphicsoft
Elements User
Sorry I couldn't have been of more help but my attempt involved a few hours of stumbling blindly around filters, levels etc until I got near enough to a result. It's an age thing. Too much time and not enough grey cells left.
Ray
05-10-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
Damn Brit

I saw something on flickr recently that does it automatically for you. Might be worth doing a search. It will probably do in a pinch until you get time to do it yourself.
05-23-2008, 07:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't know if I've missed the boat on this one, but I only joined the forum today.
In case you're still looking, you might like to try Irfanview (free, runs in XP). After you've installed the main program, download the zip file from the website containing all the plugins. Unzip them to a new folder called Plugins within the Irfanview directory (this step is important) and open a photo in Irfanview (which, by the way, handles RAW files quite well). Under Image you'll find an item called Effects..In there you'll find one for Pop Art which does a great job, giving you several options to play with.

05-23-2008, 07:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, first, welcome to the forum!

Sadly when I upgraded my Mac HDD, I killed off my VMWare partition with XP. This may cause me to re-load it (or just use my work machine) to take a look.

Otherwise, i finally get to play in Photoshop again this weekend. Did a platform swap to the Mac version since 6 finally came to Apple, took Adobe 3+ weeks to get it to me....PITA
05-23-2008, 07:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was in Linux when I posted that reply and have just checked back in XP: I'd forgotten that the Pop Art item is under Image/Adobe 8BF filters. It may be that you'll find that filter in Photoshop. Can't say for sure as I've never used PS, but it'd be worth a look.