Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2014, 09:35 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
When the standards of taste gets lowered, we all pay the price. Ansel Adams and the rest of the f64 group will be turning in their graves, they spent their lives trying pulling photography out of this pictorialist hell hole only for contemporary photographers to crawl back into it.
Artistic culture is user based these days. Everyone is an artist, good or bad, and it makes no difference to the ignorant as long as they see what they expect. Technology has made the means of production available to almost everybody but without the usual education that went with attaining it in the past. Because high standards of achievement are no longer put up for mass consumption by "enlightened" curators there is a morass of material at ground level that is almost impossible to sift through to find the truly good stuff.

This is what has happened in music via iTunes and home studios, and, as a result, a decent muso has almost no chance of selling a record these days - the ones that do tend to be backed to the rafters by multinational corporations hell bent on maintaining their market share. There are millions of people vying for the same market segment.

When you don't need to earn, or validate, your right to exist in competition with others you learn absolutely nothing. Having spent 4 years in an art school I can still recall what a huge effort it took to overcome my prejudices and how difficult it was to move beyond them.

Last edited by bossa; 08-26-2014 at 01:12 AM.
08-26-2014, 06:53 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Hmmm..Wonder what all would be saying if back in the different times of Renior, van Gogh, Monet, Piccaso, Matisse, Cezzane, Klee, Macke, Dali or Warhol to name a few's breaking from the traditions of art for their time. Each of us has our own individual appreciations and the right to voice what it is we appreciate or not and that is one of the things that keeps art alive. Although in comparison to this persons photo my own are of the norm. Still though to me If everyone photographed and post processed the same, photography would get mighty boring. To be honest as much as I like the beautifully colored, neutral density filtered, soft cloud & wave look there are so many people doing and showing it I personally am getting bored with it so to me it is kind of refreshing to see others who are breaking away from the norm whether I personally like what they did or not. That doesn't mean one has to like the break but at least I try give the person credit for trying and creating something else different to view and ponder and not trash them for their effort. There is a lot of art by some of these same masters I mention selling for millions I scratch my head on and don't see what makes it worth it..... LOL

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 08-26-2014 at 07:21 AM.
08-27-2014, 04:22 AM   #33

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
When the standards of taste gets lowered, we all pay the price. Ansel Adams and the rest of the f64 group will be turning in their graves, they spent their lives trying pulling photography out of this pictorialist hell hole only for contemporary photographers to crawl back into it.
Everything goes round in circles....