Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2015, 12:41 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I have a HP LP2465... It's quite old, but I like it a lot. 24" with 1920x1200, and it has a S-PVA (or was it S-MVA?) panel. Haven't seen an IPS panel that I like more. Colors and contrast are great. Black levels too, not to mention the vastly superior viewing angles. IPS panels are better for video though (faster).

What matters is the panel, not the brand. If I needed to buy a new screen, I'd be looking at the unknown Koreans. Crossover, Yamakasa, whatever. Some sell the panels you'd find in an iMac or Cinema Display, but at much lower prices.
I have the slightly newer HP2475, but it's an IPS. It's not on my photo workstation though. Very good display.

Panels are important, but so are backlights and driving electronics. It's really the whole package that's important. A good panel with a cheap backlight is not going to reproduce accurate color or good gamut.

03-09-2015, 02:51 AM   #32

1920x1200 or 4k ?

How would you compare the quality and convenience of:
* HP EliteDisplay E241e (reasonable price no HDMI input);
* NEC EA244WMi
- for connecting to K-3 body (microHDMI output)?
Shall K-3 work with microHDMI->DVI cable (or with microHDMI->DisplayPort cable)?
My question is as I already ordered HP E241e (lucky $210 new delivered, did not notice missing HDMI monitor input), but I'm able to cancel an order yet.
NEC is $350+

-----
QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
I have the slightly newer HP2475, but it's an IPS.

Last edited by Prakticant; 03-09-2015 at 03:01 AM.
03-12-2015, 08:06 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sourcenemy Quote
Like most have allready pointed out go for a IPS monitor, but heres a hint for most ppl if you want to get highest pixelcount from any monitor allways use a DVI contact even if the monitor itself has HDMI check if your graficscard has a DVI port and use a DVI to HDMI cable. couse HDMI caps the resolution so goin with DVI from the computer lets you set a noticeable higher/better resolution with helps as we know for working with photos
Only if you're using a really old HDMI implementation. DVI, being a rather old standard that hasn't been updated since the Clinton administration, only supports a max of 2560x1600 at 60 Hz. If you want higher resolution, you have to reduce the framerate; 4k is supported at a "count the flicker cycles" 17 Hz.

Initial versions of HDMI were capped at 1920x1200p60, but HDMI has supported 2560x1600p since version 1.3, which came out in 2006. It has supported 4k since 1.4 (released in 2009), although only at 24 fps.

Also be aware that if you use a single link cable, DVI is only 24 bit RGB color. You need to make sure to use a dual link cable to get 32 bit or higher color. xvYCC is also not supported by DVI.

To make the most of new high-end displays, you need to switch to HDMI or DisplayPort. DVI is an old standard that is going to be abandoned in due time. If you're seeing gamut or gamma issues with HDMI, it's likely a black level thing. I forget which is what, but only ago, I had a TV with DVI and I had to turn on extended blacks so that everything wouldn't be washed out. With HDMI, that same setting made everything look dark and evil. Make sure your blacks are set to PC level (I believe) because this is different from video standards.