Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-30-2014, 03:36 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
If you are planning on spending a thousand bucks on a printer and supplies, don't rely upon a consumer level, limited function tool like Elements, especially an older version. Go for Lightroom at least and you can then use Elements for pixel-level edits.
Agreed. Lightroom is a more appropriate digital darkroom and general printing tool for someone with a Pentax K-5 and a Epson 3880 Pro than Elements.

I would recommend you find someone who can run off a few samples of pigment-based output.
You can get some samples of Epson prints on their paper from here:
Request a Print Sample: Epson Professional Imaging - Epson America, Inc.

Don't rely only upon one vendor of paper. If you do, go with Epson because their printers are optimized for their products. I've owned two pigment printers and two dye-based ones, all for exhibition output. I recommend you purchase sample packs from 4-6 paper makers and then see what works best. Consider matt, pearl, and baryta types. You have to be patient in this business, following lots of trial and error. I did mention you should do a cost analysis to do it right.
The only thing I'd say here is once you've run through some sample packs, pick a couple of papers (for example, one for color and one for black and white) and get to know them before you buy any more types.

08-30-2014, 03:55 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kthornsberry Quote
You can get some samples of Epson prints on their paper from here: Request a Print Sample: Epson Professional Imaging - Epson America, Inc.
Problem with this is that you'll get Epson's perfect prints which are only useful to the Epson marketing department. If one is spending $1000 for a printer (with an implied commitment for triple that over the next three years in framing supplies and consumables of course), it is worth outputting your own work on that printer prior. That means one has to network some in the photographer and art community--which I view as a critical component to being successful selling prints anyway. You may also save a lot of money and hassle this way. Where I live, a handful of photographers who own top-notch 48-inch Epson printers rent the use of their machines to offset the significant costs of ownership. Often they also have a 3880 as a proofing printer or use it to output smaller sized exhibition prints.

Most photographers I know, especially newer ones who start making a few shekels, find that their time and money gets too wound up in dealing with DYI printing, rather than shooting or marketing. There is a world of difference between outputting 8x10s on a consumer all-in-one device from producing professional 17-in wide art on a dedicated image printer. So many more image defects become unveiled with the greater scrutiny of larger prints. So in reality by purchasing a larger printer one is also committing to improving photography and post processing skills.

M
09-01-2014, 06:38 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks. Have just ordered samples from Red River - paper and greeting cards, and may try a few others as well. I have so far been using only Epson paper, as I had been told that it works the best with their printers. Will try some other paper when I get the new printer and see what I like best. Will also look into possibly getting Lightroom, since you folks as well as others I know have recommended it. I'm very grateful to get such good responses to my questions. Thank you ALL!
09-04-2014, 01:01 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well.......I got the 3880, delivered yesterday and set up and printing today. It was easy. Love the prints. I ran a few test prints on ultra premium glossy, premium semi-gloss and premium luster (all Epson). All good. At the default printer settings, these prints compared very well with the screen image. Rich color, accurate brightness and color. YAY! (I checked my monitor brightness and I already had it set at 50%. I just didn't remember.) I think I like the glossy and semi-gloss paper just a little better than the luster, even at the "speed" rather than "quality" setting. I ordered a sample paper kit from Red River and will check it out as well. I DO like the Epson paper, however....so far. So now I'm ordering a printer stand for the Artisan 710 I'm keeping, which gets relegated to "next to the desk" space, and the 3880 is up on my desk. That made more sense than trying to find a bigger printer stand and space for that stand, etc. Some re-arranging required of course. I'm definitely going to check out Lightroom. It sounds like I need a step up from elements. Happy and still learning!
Mary

09-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Congratulations.
I'm glad your happy so far and hope you'll enjoy the Red River paper as well. It's highly recommended by lots of folks. Let us know your thoughts after you've tried them.