Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What noise and sharpening add-ins do you use?

Hi
I'm learning Photoshop (CS3), and am looking for plug-ins for noise reduction and sharpeneing. Would you mind sharing what you use (and why)?
Thanks!

05-11-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I use Elements (Can't afford CS3) and use USM with selective masking. I think it works great and its built in.

- Andrew
05-11-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

For noise if necessary I use the reduction in Adobe raw, if its "selective" I create a mask in CS3 & use the Noise Ninja plug-in - works very well & allows good adjustment.

For sharpening I apply a little "capture sharpening" in Adobe Raw & then use the "Photokit Sharpener" plug-in to apply final output sharpening, excellent plug-in that takes much of the hard work out of sharpening

simon
05-11-2008, 04:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tlfaust Quote
Hi
sharpeneing
Are you asking for generic sharpening, or more specifically, a treatment for out-of-focus blur?

05-11-2008, 04:37 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi
I was asking for generic sharpening. For OoF blur, I was considering FocusMagic...

Thanks!
05-12-2008, 05:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tlfaust Quote
I was asking for generic sharpening. For OoF blur, I was considering FocusMagic...
Well, then...

However, you will find that FocusMagic does a splendid job and just outperforms ANY of the generic sharpening techniques (like Photoshops USM). Just use FocusMagic with a mild parameter just like 1pixel blur. Of course, it is slower and not embedded into Lightroom.

As for OoF blur, I am preparing a mini tutorial, also comparing various alternatives, for the convenience of my fellow forum members.
05-12-2008, 07:57 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Noise Ninja

Noise Ninja is the best noise-reduction I've tried so far...

05-12-2008, 08:31 AM   #8

I started uding Define for noise and focus magic for sharpening. I still have a lot to learn about PP however.
05-12-2008, 11:45 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
for general photo editing, which includes noise and sharpening, I use Corel Paint SHop Pro X2, but I also have Noise Ninja plug in as an optional add in.

Most good photo editors can use third party plug ins.
05-12-2008, 12:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I use the NeatImage plugin for PS CS3 for general denoising. I like the results with it.

I prefer to keep sharpening to a minimum for web shots. For prints, I apply a little more, but not much. For both, I just use the built-in Smart Sharpen in CS3. I've toyed with Focal Blade and Focus Magic, but I didn't care for the results vs. what CS3 provides.
05-15-2008, 06:56 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all

for your thoughts an opinions. I'll keep researching, but I'm leaning towards Focus Magic and not sure abou the noise plug-in yet....

Thanks again
05-25-2008, 07:36 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Noise Ninja is the standard for noise reduction. It's amazing just how well and quickly it works.

I just purchased the $80 "pro" version last night and I'm extremely happy with it. I rarely buy software of this nature (stand alone / plug-in), but after wrestling with Adobe's noise reduction and others, it's well worth it.

I use CS3, and while it's noise reduction is pretty good, Noise Ninja is in another league.
Download the demo and try it out -- unfortunately the demo overlays a grid over your image, but you'll see the results regardless.
Reduce noise, zoom in, then do the "undo" actions over and over to get an idea of the before-and-after affects.

Disclaimer -- I'm in no way affiliated with Noise Ninja or anyone that is associated with them.
06-03-2008, 01:51 PM   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I use Neat Image plugin.