Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Has anybody used a Wacom Bamboo Fun tablet?

One thing I've noticed when trying to edit with a mouse is that it's so clumsy. A few months ago, I saw this in one of the major photography magazines and thought it sounded like a great deal.

CTE450K Wacom Bamboo Fun Small Size Tablet with Pen, Mouse & Graphics Software, for Mac & PC, Black

What makes it a great deal is that it comes with Photoshop Elements, among other software programs. If this (or any other tablet) makes editing photos that much easier than using a mouse, then it'll go on my list of stuff to get.

What are your experiences like using either the Bamboo or any other type of tablet for editing?

Thanks!
Heather

05-11-2008, 10:38 PM   #2

I'm using a Wacom Volito with my laptop and I'm fairly happy with it.

You will need to get used to it though (the first days/weeks i had problems with my wrist and such since it's a new way of working).

Also the disadvantages of this specific tablets are :

- Size, it's pretty small which is good for travel but less accurate
- Only 1 button you can set.

with something like the Graphire you have a 2 way-button so you can set button 2 to right-click and button 1 to double-click for examle. With my tablet I need to double-click the pen on the tablet to double-click and if it's not done on the same place then the software doesn't always see it as a double-click (mostly in Lightroom 1).

Also the graphire can be fliped over (then pen) and use the back as an eraser so you don't need to switch tools in Photoshop when you want to remove something.

I'm not sure what the Bamboo can do but I would advise looking into it and see if it's features fit you needs (you don't wanna buy ther cheapest model and then discover that you had better payed a bit more and have a more functional tablet).

I don't edit that much and for general browsing the Voitio is enough but if I buy a new one in the future I will look for something with some more options like the Graphire (is they still exist).
05-11-2008, 11:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm using the Wacom Bamboo and it is great. I read somewhere that this is pretty much like the Graphire (discontinued), renamed to attract a broader audience. Anyway, I got the smaller version since it is much more portable and it's easier to navigate with. (The entire tablet corresponds to the monitor. i.e., to click something in the top right most corner of your screen, you have to tap on the right most corner of the tablet, etc.). I use mine for illustrating and some photoshop editing as well. It takes some getting used to, though. After awhile, I am able to do most tasks with the tablet alone like navigating and writing in place of typing(though typing is much quicker of course). The Bamboo has four buttons which you can program, and a small disk for zooming in and out (or scrolling). The pen has two more additional buttons you can program as well. there is also a customizable pop up menu you can access via the tablet that lets you run programs you choose...

I am happy with my Bamboo. There are pricier options, but unless you're a graphic designer or professional illustrator, the Bamboo is apt for your needs.
05-12-2008, 12:07 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by leadbelly Quote

I am happy with my Bamboo. There are pricier options, but unless you're a graphic designer or professional illustrator, the Bamboo is apt for your needs.
Yeah, I think the Intuos series are to expensive for hobby use.

05-12-2008, 07:01 AM   #5
PDL
Pentaxian

I am using a Tablet PC with a Wacom screen right now. Used it since 2005 - interesting to use but it is not my main machine. Some things work well with a pen some things do not. It is easier to use a mouse to straighten an image, manuver around the menus and such. With a mouse you usually have a keyboard around - which is easier to hit shortcuts and such, ALT+S easier than file - save etc.

I have a pen attached to my desktop too, but it is rarely used. Nice to have to outline for masks. Sliders s*ck with a pen in my experience.

My son has a big Wacom tablet, but he does not really do much with photography.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
05-12-2008, 07:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you want to save a couple bucks, Amazon has it for $91.50 including delivery.
05-12-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've seen that deal, so that's where I'll most likely get it when I'm ready to buy.

Heather

05-13-2008, 03:49 AM   #8

Heather, years back I bought and used a small Graphire. In relocating I gave it away to a friend.

Recently I bought a refurbished Wacom Intuos from academicsuperstore and I LOVE it!
It have a bunch of programmable buttons. It makes photo editing much, much easier - especially when working up close or in detail.
I use it extensively with Corel Painter - what bliss! It is indispensible with LightZone and PSE6.

Only concern I've had - sometimes you need to calibrate the pen - if the tablet is located near a printer or monitor, there seems to be some type of interference. Only had to do that once or twice in the past four months - so it might not be the issue and even an issue!

I would definitely recommend the Wacom to any photogrpaher / artist - start small if you're new to them.

Shireen