Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2014, 08:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What is Bleach Bypass?

I know that "Bleach Bypass" is a Custom Image setting, and it gives images yet another distinct look. Aside from that, it seems to be a specific term referring to something particular as I have also seen it being used by photographers shooting with other makes of cameras as well like Sony.

So what specifically is bleach bypass? Is it some carryover term from film developing or what?

09-06-2014, 08:13 AM   #2

Yes, left over from color film processing days. Bleaching would remove the silver from the emulsion during development leaving only the color dyes. Bypassing or skipping the bleach step leaves the developed silver in the emulsion and makes a black and white image with the color dyes. This increases contrast and graininess and reduces saturation in the image.
09-06-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Yes, left over from color film processing days. Bleaching would remove the silver from the emulsion during development leaving only the color dyes. Bypassing or skipping the bleach step leaves the developed silver in the emulsion and makes a black and white image with the color dyes. This increases contrast and graininess and reduces saturation in the image.
Thanks for that bit of information. Does there tend to be any shooting situations where the use of bleach bypass is particularly desired or applicable. In other words, why would anyone select it for shooting?
09-06-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's not selected for shooting, it's done in post-processing.

It gives the image a dirty, gritty feel. Look at the cinematography in David Fincher's Se7en.

09-06-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zekewhipper Quote
Thanks for that bit of information. Does there tend to be any shooting situations where the use of bleach bypass is particularly desired or applicable. In other words, why would anyone select it for shooting?
It's certainly a cool looking effect, but I would feel sorry for anyone who accidentally set their camera to bleach bypass and then shot an entire vacation in jpeg mode

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-06-2014, 08:51 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SoftwareArtifex Quote
Look at the cinematography in David Fincher's Se7en.
Bleach bypass is also used in the Matrix films. They originally shot on standard stock negative film and used a Fuji transparency transfer film to apply the effect.
09-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zekewhipper Quote
Does there tend to be any shooting situations where the use of bleach bypass is particularly desired or applicable. In other words, why would anyone select it for shooting?
I use it sometimes to enhance a feeling of despair, hopelessness, urban decay, ominous weather, that kind of stuff.
In that respect, it's sort of the opposite of the reversal film mode.

Regards,
--Anders.

09-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
I use it sometimes to enhance a feeling of despair, hopelessness, urban decay, ominous weather, that kind of stuff.
In that respect, it's sort of the opposite of the reversal film mode.

Regards,
--Anders.

Ah, now that is the sort of use response I was driving at.