Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2014, 05:21 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Any thoughts on touch screen PC for editing?

I am looking at the Lenovo Horizon 2 as a potential PC to use mainly for editing my photos.
Lenovo Horizon 2 Table PC | Multi-User Fun | Lenovo (SG)

I can't say that I'm in touch with the stuff that has been out for the past 5yrs.
The touch screen intrigues me as I've tried this on a friend's Surface Pro 3 running LR5.
Being able to work on it as if its a small drawing pad especially with the brush tool seems to be the way forward.

So that brings my attention to the Horizon 2.
QHD, i7 or i5, 8GB ram; 27" of touch screen (enough specs I'd think)
It might just work like a big drawing block.
Again I would think its strength would be for the brush tool in LR and touch up, exposure blending in Photoshop (PSE 10 in my case)

Has anyone had experience with this sort of working method?

Am I wasting money on QHD on a 27"?
I have looked at a 23" mac and I do think it looks good, so supposedly this 27" QHD would be a bit better.
I am also considering an alternative to this which would be a more typical PC+BIG UHD TV but the downside is no touch screen for the brush work.

Thoughts?
TIA

09-06-2014, 05:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you tried a Wacom tablet or bamboo with your current computer? That seems much more functional and elegant to me.

M
09-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why would you want 27" of arm fatigue?
09-07-2014, 07:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Have you tried a Wacom tablet or bamboo with your current computer? That seems much more functional and elegant to me.

M
Thanks for the suggestion.
That is under consideration too.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Why would you want 27" of arm fatigue?
It won't because its either flat on the table or at a low angle (like a drawing block on a low easel )

09-07-2014, 07:43 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you want a drawing block get a Cintiq.
09-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #6

I suppose with touchscreen you can do some basic editing. But going beyond the quality of finger painting, or doing anything smaller, would likely take more effort with touch than without. Possibly depending on how well pinch-to-zoom works. Not being able to use a fine pen is actually the one thing I'm really, really missing with my iPad.

I've been working with Wacom tablets for 15 years and I can't do graphics without one at all anymore (I believe the newer models have pen and finger use, but I haven't tried that). Once you get used to it, it becomes second nature and you know where to put the pen exactly without even looking. They are pricey but offer an equal quality and I can wholeheartedly recommend them. I've tried some cheaper knockoffs but you get what you pay for and those weren't worth it, as their grid resolution was so coarse that the cursor was often twitching between pixels.

I have an Intuos Din A3 Wide at work and another at home (which I got during a great Black Friday Amazon deal) and that's the perfect size for me. Din A4 could do for portable work, I guess, and the mobile Cintiqs are probably fine as well, albeit sadly have the "wrong" OS' for me.
I also have a 24" Cintiq and love it (except for the price! T'was a rather mad expenditure). But going beyond 24" for touch would put quite a strain on your arm. Mine has traveled miles and miles on A3 already (until the Wacom driver stopped counting distances ). Also, the Cintiq is bigger than a regular 24" screen and takes two people to lift onto the table, so quite a beast.
One drawback you get with touch or pen screens is, that you cover part of your image with your hand/pen. Nothing too bad, but screenless tablets are without that limitation.

/edit: note how the Lenovo 27" advertises its "Multi-user mode"
/edit2: 27" screens are a great size to work with, I just have doubts about running my arm along one.

Last edited by Undot; 09-08-2014 at 11:26 AM.
09-08-2014, 05:35 PM   #7

I totally agree with other users said about arm fatigue using touch screens. I also would recommend using a Wacom tablet because of it's excellent responsiveness and precision. But most of all, try out the touchscreen in a store or something, a lot of touchscreens I tried were plainly terrible or the ("wrong") OS/computer wasn't really working well with touch input. The last thing you want is a product that has all the great specs but doesn't have the right usability.

If you have an iPad, I would highly suggest trying out Photoshop Touch, its about $10 in the App-Store, an abolute bargin! It's also quite beginner-friendly, it's bundled with a a few tutorials to get started. If you're more experienced using Photoshop you might miss some features but that could also boost your creativity (getting out of the comfort zone). After editing with PS touch for a long time I sense that it might not be the most ergonomical/RSI friendly option out there.

Last edited by Clarity; 09-08-2014 at 05:41 PM.