Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #16
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
you could say it was the Loch Ness monster
QuoteOriginally posted by markdesmarais Quote
had EXACTLY the same thought!
So just everybody's an expert now.

09-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The iPad does have it's quirks but after a year now, I like mine a lot. On trips, I can load my photos directly with the optional card reader for viewing them. I will delete the RAW files after I load my pics unto my desktop. I load photos I want to show on my iPad through iTunes. It really isn't difficult, just different and a bit of a pain it the butt in the beginning. It would be nice to just drag and drop photos like you can do with Android but Apple keeps you sandboxed in their system. The easiest way to get photos from your computer to the iPad is to put those photos in a certain folder and and set that folder to sync every time you plug your iPad into your desktop.
09-12-2014, 04:50 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Wow! So many answers (while I was asleep). I will go through thoroughly. Thanks everyone.
09-12-2014, 05:57 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I'll just add to everyone I guess... I bought my iPad about two years ago and for a time, it completely replaced my notebook at home for anything not relating to editing photos. After a while I slowly got back at using my laptop for the most part.

One thing I really like the iPad for is coupled with my Sandisk WIFISD card. It is very useful at reviewing pictures without touching the camera, the sandisk app is very limited and far from perfect but it still works good. Where is becomes handy is for timelapses where touching the camera, even on a good tripod might slightly move it, screwing the series. With the iPad and the WIFI card, the pictures are sent to the tablet where I can review them to make sure everything is OK.

On some photoshoot, sometimes I leave it on for the model to see the pictures I take as we go along, most of them find that pretty cool. I use it often too when doing macro work where my camera is on tripod in an awkward position where I cannot really see the LCD.

On holidays, I used to carry my laptop with me (I rarely prepare for a trip, I just wing it as I go around, having a notebook is essential). But recently I have been travelling only with the iPad. Using the camera connection kit, I backup my pictures (in jpg) daily so if anything happens to my SD cards, at the very least I have the jpgs... And paired with an iPhone, the iPad makes a pretty kick ass large screen navigation/GPS unit.

All that being said, I now also have a fairly inexpensive Asus 7" tablet (~$120) and besides the very limited battery life it is in my case, just as useful as the ipad is.

So, a tablet can be a very handy tool in some circumstances (paired with a Eyefi/WifiSD/Flucard) for reviewing pictures on the go and remote controlling your camera (with a pentax flucard... or a Nikon/Canon/Sony/Oly/Panasonic wifi enabled camera) But I feel like wireless tethering or picture transfer is still a bit on the slow side with high res jpg and reviewing low res jpg doesn't really improve on what you can get on the camera LCD.

There is room for improvement, I could easily live without it but they do are handy, and not just for photography something I'm starting to think the only thing these things aren't doing is the laundry...

09-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The excellent free Documents app allows you to create a nested folder system within the app. Handles JPEGs & audio very well. LR works quite well with iPads. I just create PDF slide shows in LR and either put 'em up in Dropbox or transfer to iPad via Documents.
Apple's Keynote is super intuitive for creating slide shows or photo presentations. Much better than PowerPoint.

M
09-14-2014, 10:40 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help.
I'm going to go with creating a special folder for iPad images on my PC - i will then batch resize all of these images.
I will abandon the 'dream' of automatically syncing my photo library.
I will also look into the lightning / usb camera connection kit.

I knew not having usb or a memory card slot was for a reason. The reason seems to be to charge their customers extra for basic functionality.

On that note, will the lightning usb camera kit work with a standard "usb to sd card reader", so I can avoid having to buy the camera kit AND the sd card kit?
09-14-2014, 10:57 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you are looking for syncing try Photosync link. It lets you transfer photos between devices and computers and cloud services.

Patrick

09-15-2014, 11:54 PM   #23
Forum Member

My solution is to use Dropbox. I store all the photos I want to share amongst my devices and to share with others there. Dropbox automatically syncs my home PC, work PC, laptop, iPad, iPhone, etc. The Dropbox app on your iDevice keeps all the folder structure. I can even share a link with friends and family - like this.

Simply install Dropbox on your PC. Move your folder structure into the Dropbox folder. Install the app on your iPad and link it to your account. Enjoy viewing your photos!
09-16-2014, 09:35 AM   #24
Pentaxian

What is the best way to get photos from a K3 to an ipad? I really dislike the way photos are stored on the ipad, it's the same effect as taking all the printed photos you own and dumping them into a box instead of having them arranged by subject in an album, (ok... is that at the bottom? or scroll... scroll... at the top? ugh passed it .... is it on here at all?) I don't have a mac, and so far I have been posting pics online, then going to that site on the ipad and then saving the image. The main use of my ipad is the ap for theocratic books so I was afraid I would use all my storage with large photo files, but I am probably worried for nothing. lol. I use the ipad a lot for other things, hulu and tv, british radio, games for the grandkids, facebook, snapshots of not serious stuff like things I need for the grocery list, but would probably use it more for K3 photos if I could download the pics easier to the ipad.
09-16-2014, 01:18 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
What is the best way to get photos from a K3 to an ipad? I really dislike the way photos are stored on the ipad, it's the same effect as taking all the printed photos you own and dumping them into a box instead of having them arranged by subject in an album, (ok... is that at the bottom? or scroll... scroll... at the top? ugh passed it .... is it on here at all?) I don't have a mac, and so far I have been posting pics online, then going to that site on the ipad and then saving the image. The main use of my ipad is the ap for theocratic books so I was afraid I would use all my storage with large photo files, but I am probably worried for nothing. lol. I use the ipad a lot for other things, hulu and tv, british radio, games for the grandkids, facebook, snapshots of not serious stuff like things I need for the grocery list, but would probably use it more for K3 photos if I could download the pics easier to the ipad.
There is plenty of good advice in this thread.

Arrange your pics on a PC and use iTunes to sync from that folder. Or install Dropbox on a PC and on the iPad.
09-16-2014, 02:34 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
There is plenty of good advice in this thread.

Arrange your pics on a PC and use iTunes to sync from that folder. Or install Dropbox on a PC and on the iPad.
There is a lot of good advice here and will be trying it out too.
09-20-2014, 11:50 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK, for the sake of updating - this is what I have settled upon.
Picasa automatically uploading to Google's Picasa web albums on the PC - set to send at 2048 pixels - good enough for ipad.
Web Albums app on the ipad for browsing the photos.

This isn't what I was hoping for, as I had intended to avoid using a cloud service. Unfortunately, it's actually far faster to upload to Picasa on the internet, than it is to transfer photos locally over wifi or even usb to the ipad.
This also means changes on my PC are quickly reflected to the ipad without extra stages of resizing and organising into a separate folder.
I couldn't understand this at first - but I have found that while the ipad has a lot of storage and a fast processor, it only has a total of 1024MB of RAM, which, once you remove that needed to run the os and open apps, leaves practically nothing. This completely hamstrings the ipad's ability to perform any processing of images. The wifi apps I had tested before - see my first post - both relied on the ipad to resize the images, rather than the PC. I think this is why the wifi transfers always crashed.

So that's it - back to the cloud.
10-12-2014, 06:16 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, I've ended up hanging onto an iPad that came to me via work.

Sort of got it like I want it after some fdidling tonight.

I use Picasa Web already before the iPad to sync my 'best of' photos from pc to Android phone and tablet and to share with others. Got the Web Albums HD app to also sync Picasa Web albums to the iPad. Works well and allows photos to be cached onto the iPad for offline viewing. Seems to keep these photos away from the Camera Roll - hooray for small mercies! And no apparent resizing.

Tonight I installed the Samsung Mobilleink and confirmed I could transfer photos directly from my Samsung NX 1000 to the iPad. MobileLink app only scaled for iPhone but doesn't really matter as it is just used for the transfer process. Images are viewed in the std Photo app. The NX 1000/Mobilelink combo only transfers JPEGs.

While on a roll, installed the Eye-Fi app as I keep an Eye-Fi card in the second slot on my K-3. Confirmed I can transfer JPEG images off the K3 to the iPad. These also appear in the Photo app. JPEG is probably good enough for on the road use. Haven't experimented with DNG RAW files yet.

Establing the Wifi link to the NX 1000 and the Eye-Fi card is clunky compared to Android - I seem to need to manually switch the iPad across to the camera/card networks but once that's done, the transfers proceed as advertised!

Then bought for a few bucks the PhotoGene photo editing app. Can do quite a lot with this although the control sliders are very sensitive at least with JPEG editing. Once the edits are done, can resize the output to suit what needs I have. Edits can be saved to various Internet sites including Picasa. I've just saved back to the iPad for now.

So I can now get photos directly off both cameras and do a reasonable amount of editing on the iPad. And just confirmed I can get edited photos into the Wordpress app for the iPad (I run a ltttle photo blog for my amusement and that of a few others

All this means I should be able to use the iPad to take in photos from my cameras, undertake a moderate level of pp'ing and then write a blog post. Very handy to discover as I will be off overseas in a few weeks for work.