Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2014, 07:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help with slide show

Hi I am making a highres slideshow of my bird pics to use for a multimedia show , using a projector, there is no music.File sizes range from 640 pixels to 3500 or so.The projector will be either HD 1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720. I have tried using Magix photostory deluxe & Photostage.
If I choose high quality I get about a 4-5GB file for ca. 500 pics, which is way too big I think.It will be run from a tablet or PC to the projector.The photos are done in CS5 & saved at max jpeg res.I need to use cross fading & adjust time for each image & transition.
What is the best way to do this, as I assume the larger the file the better the quality.I also increase the contrast so its not washed out on the screen, are there any other steps to take?
I had converted the project to quicktime, as it looked better than avi or wmv on my screen (prof Eizo one ) &also on my 40'' flat screen TV, but maybe there are better solutions.I don't have a projector at the moment, so must use what the venues have..risky I know.
Any help is appreciated.

09-16-2014, 01:20 AM   #2

I have used the excellent Magix Extreme Photostory on CD and DVD (is this similar to what you are using?) several times to create DVD based slideshows with music which I can run from a standard DVD player and view on a TV. I end up with those sort of 'backstage photos' added extras you often find in film DVDs. All the synced cross fades and changes etc. Absolutely brilliant software especially for the price. But the process from basically saying 'yes' and burning the DVD was so processor intensive it wasn't true. I even got high temp warnings on the PC and had to get a fan out of the garage whilst it did it! The issue (well maybe not an issue) but I think it is effectively creating a movie because that's the only thing a DVD player will understand (apart from individual jpegs). It is not simply copying load of files to a DVD with some sort of script. Once you get your head round that then its easier to accept the huge file sizes involved and the processor power needed on the PC. I think you can save that file to a PC/laptop and play it from there as well (which I assume is what you are trying to do). If you are limiting yourself to a laptop (i.e. not a TV based DVD player) then you could use Powerpoint and create a PowerPoint Show file (PPS). I've done that where I know the target will never be a DVD player. But I don't think this does a good job of retaining high res images.
09-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Briggs Quote
I have used the excellent Magix Extreme Photostory on CD and DVD (is this similar to what you are using?) several times to create DVD based slideshows with music which I can run from a standard DVD player and view on a TV. I end up with those sort of 'backstage photos' added extras you often find in film DVDs. All the synced cross fades and changes etc. Absolutely brilliant software especially for the price. But the process from basically saying 'yes' and burning the DVD was so processor intensive it wasn't true. I even got high temp warnings on the PC and had to get a fan out of the garage whilst it did it! The issue (well maybe not an issue) but I think it is effectively creating a movie because that's the only thing a DVD player will understand (apart from individual jpegs). It is not simply copying load of files to a DVD with some sort of script. Once you get your head round that then its easier to accept the huge file sizes involved and the processor power needed on the PC. I think you can save that file to a PC/laptop and play it from there as well (which I assume is what you are trying to do). If you are limiting yourself to a laptop (i.e. not a TV based DVD player) then you could use Powerpoint and create a PowerPoint Show file (PPS). I've done that where I know the target will never be a DVD player. But I don't think this does a good job of retaining high res images.

Hi I'll try the extreme,I have Photostory Deluxe,not sure of the diff.? it will be run from a tablet or pc,hopefully just a tablet as I have so much gear to bring(I do all the music for it myself). If I choose best quality now I get a 6.8GB file for 40min of photos,which are only 650MB to start with??!!
I have 16GB ram & fast processor so maybe I can keep the fan in the garage